PM box IS NOT A CHATROOM !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ykick said:
Attempting to create FAQ's can't hurt (except feelings, of course) but actually being useful is an entirely different thing and only time will tell.
Depends on who's attempting... misinformation is 4x as bad as none.

TylerDurden said:
Ykick said:
Attempting to create FAQ's can't hurt (except feelings, of course) but actually being useful is an entirely different thing and only time will tell.

So true, that's why I love this place - just when you think you got it figured out...

quote,john in cr,
It may very well be that having to sift through more info causes newcomers to learn more. The current setup may also overwhelm noobs sufficiently that they spend more time learning and less time asking stupid questions.

cant get anymore clear or real than that!
after so many years reading e-s ive gotten quite electrical.my 100 year old phonograph repairs seem daunting compared.

TylerDurden said:
Ykick said:

+1

With the exception of Ypedal, it generally seems only the clueless folks want to make FAQ's, which kinda just compounds the problem.

Jeremy Harris is a fellow with a lot of contributions who has pretty much a perfect rate of delivering good info, and responds to newbs a lot.
Just a collection of his responses to newbs would make a pretty damn good FAQ imho.

liveforphysics said:
TylerDurden said:
Ykick said:

+1

With the exception of Ypedal, it generally seems only the clueless folks want to make FAQ's, which kinda just compounds the problem.

Jeremy Harris is a fellow with a lot of contributions who has pretty much a perfect rate of delivering good info, and responds to newbs a lot.
Just a collection of his responses to newbs would make a pretty damn good FAQ imho.

Ding, ding, ding - WE have a winner!!!

If we just create a table of contents thread and link to the appropriate content, the job's done. Why recreate the wheel, when its already rolling?

And yeah, that Lipo vs LiFePo4 thread is an editorial, not an FAQ. Just the facts mam...

If you are tired of PM's, then it is a problem within your means to correct. No need to rewire the entire forum to solve a personal issue.

The easiest solution would be for all of the ES "celebrities" unhappy about being popular to create new accounts and change their user names. If you want to be a rock star, then you have to deal with the publicity. Of course then no one will know how cool you are if you don't have an ego-stroking billion post count nuke next to your name.

Docbass, this post was not a personal comment against you. I am sure that it probably does get maddening and you DO want to help, but it surely becomes overwhelming. The solution is simple enough, after a few posts with a new identity, those who need to know will figure out who you are. You could post daily as "Clark Kent", then save your "Superman" persona for posting about your record-breaking attempts etc. Also, this forum will allow you to disable contact via PM's and e-mails, another idea for those your "Docbass" persona, but your "Clark Kent" persona could still receive messages.

On another forum I frequent had a frustrated "Rock Star", he set his account to contact via e-mail only, then set up his email acct. spam filter to reject problem messagers.

I get questions about the Keywin programming sticky I made fairly often. I got tired of it and added info to the post basically telling folks to NOT send me PM's about it, unless it is a change needed in the instructions. Every PM I get about it now gets a stock reply of-"I don't know, ask the forum."

Anyone with an issue or question about this post should send a PM to Docbass about it. :twisted:

will_newton said:
he set his account to contact via e-mail only, then set up his email acct. spam filter to reject problem messagers.
As I noted in my response near the beginning of the thread, you can do that here on ES with PMs, too. ;)

will_newton said:
If you are tired of PM's, then it is a problem within your means to correct. No need to rewire the entire forum to solve a personal issue.

The easiest solution would be for all of the ES "celebrities" unhappy about being popular to create new accounts and change their user names. If you want to be a rock star, then you have to deal with the publicity. Of course then no one will know how cool you are if you don't have an ego-stroking billion post count nuke next to your name.

Docbass, this post was not a personal comment against you. I am sure that it probably does get maddening and you DO want to help, but it surely becomes overwhelming. The solution is simple enough, after a few posts with a new identity, those who need to know will figure out who you are. You could post daily as "Clark Kent", then save your "Superman" persona for posting about your record-breaking attempts etc. Also, this forum will allow you to disable contact via PM's and e-mails, another idea for those your "Docbass" persona, but your "Clark Kent" persona could still receive messages.

On another forum I frequent had a frustrated "Rock Star", he set his account to contact via e-mail only, then set up his email acct. spam filter to reject problem messagers.

I get questions about the Keywin programming sticky I made fairly often. I got tired of it and added info to the post basically telling folks to NOT send me PM's about it, unless it is a change needed in the instructions. Every PM I get about it now gets a stock reply of-"I don't know, ask the forum."

Anyone with an issue or question about this post should send a PM to Docbass about it. :twisted:

I understand your point and that might be a good idea... living on double identity... muhaaaa!!!

But there is something i wanna correct about these Ego, Rockstar and celebrity name that some apply to me.

I dont really like that since i feel equal to everybody here and wish to have the same respect as anybody have.

These names that people use with me: , Rockstar ,celebrity, etc... are from their decision.. I dont support that and dont want to display myself as a rockstar or any kind of celebrity.. I am just someone who share the same hobby as many here and i do my best.

But.. Yes, i'm here since 2007 and wish to be respected as i deserve since i shared alot of my time to help and discuss with everybody who need to and it was a real pleasure.

I think i must continue that way but yes.. if someone push the limit too far and play yo-yo with the respect and treat me like i dont want to, i'll express my opinions and do my best to correct the situation. There is sometime where these person really dont want to respect and collaborate anyway they have been warned and then they might be banned and i agree 100% with that.

Please, keep this thread in the main subject... ( about overloaded PM box from the same person)

if anybody want to make a thread about FAQ, start a new one.

Finding solutions here to that problem is nice but it might be better to start a new clean thread about that. :wink:

Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back