race ebike on dyno, flames and plasma! 40kw IN, 10hp OUT.

LFP - Live Fire Pricks...

liveforphysics said:
Arlo1 said:
Bahahaha You Stressed the motor a bit all right!
LMFAO

I do tend to lean on things a little harder than most folks.

Hit it with the house buddy :wink:

Big Tuna said:
liveforphysics said:
Arlo1 said:
Bahahaha You Stressed the motor a bit all right!
LMFAO

I do tend to lean on things a little harder than most folks.

Hit it with the house buddy :wink:

Thank you Tuna. You taught me the finer points of stressing parts everything. :)

Wish you had been my crew today bro. I needed your master crewchief skills.

Now, maybe it's time to do the same with one of those RC motors :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Plus... they are 5 times less expensive than hub motor... so you have more show for the money!!! !!

At the isane speed they rotate and with their OEM vented holes i'm sure it would look like this:

9f1d6190-6572-4203-941c-b965a1e16d75.jpg

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Doc

Awesome doc!
Im sure thats what luke hopes to achive everytime he rides/drives something!
He is in someways a great engineer and in otherways..... Well see you in a couple months for a race luke ;)

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly killed the motor? The heat obviously, but what did it kill? The phase cables and the hall sensors? Did the copper melt? Did the magnets go past their Curie temperature and lose their magnetyness? (trying to sound like I don't know what I'm talking about here because I don't)

Is it possible to rebuild this motor?

Hate to see all your hard work destroyed with out even a good ride on it....

auraslip said:
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly killed the motor? The heat obviously, but what did it kill? The phase cables and the hall sensors? Did the copper melt? Did the magnets go past their Curie temperature and lose their magnetyness? (trying to sound like I don't know what I'm talking about here because I don't)

They pumped 40hp of electricity into the motor and only got 10hp of work out of it. The other 30hp turned into heat, mostly in the windings. That's over 20kw of heat :shock: , which caught the wire varnish on fire shorting the phases for those beautiful plasma flashes. If you're going to burn up a hubbie, you might as well do it right. :mrgreen:

John in CR said:
They pumped 40hp of electricity into the motor and only got 10hp of work out of it. The other 30hp turned into heat, mostly in the windings. That's over 20kw of heat :shock: , which caught the wire varnish on fire shorting the phases for those beautiful plasma flashes. If you're going to burn up a hubbie, you might as well do it right. :mrgreen:

so the controller was be able to limit the current to the phase wires when shorting? that means mabye this controller can even withstand one of the big outrunners wihtout blowing the fets.

John in CR said:
auraslip said:

They pumped 40Kw (53.6hp) into that motor!!!! :)

nieles said:
John in CR said:

so the controller was be able to limit the current to the phase wires when shorting? that means mabye this controller can even withstand one of the big outrunners wihtout blowing the fets.
I cant remember if this was lukes sevcon controler or the big Kelly but yes it would work for collossus its just that both kelly and sevcon controlers are not cheep!

Arlo1 said:
nieles said:
John in CR said:

I cant remember if this was lukes sevcon controler or the big Kelly but yes it would work for collossus its just that both kelly and sevcon controlers are not cheep!

It's a 42fet controller with 150v fets in it.

This hubmotor is roughly 1/15th of the stress on a controller that the colossus motor would put on a controller. (going from phase resistance and inductance differences).

Essentially, running power to a big hub is a cakewalk (which is why I chose a hubmotor). Running power to a big RC motor is a challenge. I think this controller would do as well as anything on the market right now, but I think it would pop it at low RPMs if you loaded it hard.

luke.. have you any pic of the inside o fthe sevcon??

Doctorbass said:

Yes. Explicit photos of everything inside the case.

It's 6 rows of 7 TO-220 fets in parallel. It runs the infinion brand 150v FETs, which are actually pretty good stuff. Lots of good cap. Hall-effect based current sensors on 2 of the output phase legs. It's a pretty solid piece.

liveforphysics said:
Doctorbass said:

It's 6 rows of 7 TO-220 fets in parallel. It runs the infinion brand 150v FETs, which are actually pretty good stuff. Lots of good cap. Hall-effect based current sensors on 2 of the output phase legs. It's a pretty solid piece.

Now let see these pics!
:mrgreen:

Sorry we have to keep this forum clean you cant have upskirt photos of controllers being posted... Although I think Hyena would be good at snagging some nice candid shots....

liveforphysics said:
Doctorbass said:

Luke, can you please post these photos. We are dying to see the inside of a top-spec BLDC controller that wasn't designed/built in mainland China to penny pinching economics.

Ok, Ok, I dug through my massive pics-that-need-to-be-uploaded folder and dug these out and hosted and posted them just for you guys.
I spoil you guys. :p :p :lol:

sev1k.jpg

sev2j.jpg

sev3k.jpg

sev4k.jpg

sev5.jpg

sev6.jpg

imag0303z.jpg

Incase you can't read the name on that FET in the 116v controller, it's this one:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=IPP075N15N3%20G-ND

The above pics are of the "Size 4" controller. It's a 42fet, and has active phase current monitoring, temp monitoring, does sinus waveform output, has elaborate internal temp monitoring and auto-current cut-backs, takes UVW encoders (halls) as well as AB encoders or Sine/Cosine encoders. It also has a data screen that plugs into it and displays and logs all the power related things (kinda like a CA).

However, it literally has 30pages of menus and crap to setup to get it dialed in. It's also not as fast for high speed commutation with difficult to control motors as I had hoped it would be. Those things and price are it's only downsides that I've found.

Thanks Luke for posting these info.

I see some IRFB3077 fets on the picture and you also show a link for some IPP075N15N... Are they the equivalent?

42 fets... impressive.. and.. i remember you in the past saif that controlelr with these TO-220 are premitive desing.. and the junction temp is limited and best is bigger fets.. or igbt style..

What are your impressions on the pcb and heatsink desing of these 42 to-220?

Back