Tucson Death Race 2011 roll call. Results on page 1

Hey guys,

Can someone please point out where Pauls set-up is at or email it to me please fr31mb@live.com. Doing a article for my alternative energy forum and want to get the facts straight.

Thank you :D

Dave,
here is Pauls desc. of his bike set up.
Hey all,
Once again thanks for all the comments. Definitely couldn't have done it without all of the info on the ES forums from true EV pioneers - tinkerers that figured out what works and what doesn't and shared their work! The depth of knowledge and commitment to ebikes is incredible here.
Now for some stats:
12 laps in the main event, 0.79 mi laps, starting voltage 76.1v (4.23 v/cell), Vmin 66.7, Amax 56.7, maxS 44.3, Ave S. 31, 6.8ah 483wh consumed, 47 wh/mi.
Drive:
1.7:1 8mm pitch, 15mm width primary belt reduction with ENO hidden inside 48T pulley, 6.15:1 219 chain secondary, sprocket on rotor mount of hub, total reduction 10.5:1, Turnigy 130kv 80/100 with external halls at 17.1degree spacing
Controller:
ebikes.ca 40 amp 12 fet infineon, modified resistors for high voltage, and shunt soldered about 15-20% of its length
Batteries:
Secret lithium ion pouch cells 18S2P, 20ah x 66v.
Bike weight unknown, but we guessed 60-65lbs.

It definitely turned out way better than expected, and combined with a 140lb former MTB racer turned out to be fast enough. As I posted after practice, Thud was crazy fast, and probably would have taken the win if his controller held together. LFP had some serious power on board and likely would have been a contender too.
It was really interesting to see where I could gain on the Morini ridden by Alex00 (2nd place) and where he pulled away. The sweet spot of his power band seemed to be around 25-35 mph. I was quicker up to 25 and over 35 I think. I was pedaling like crazy out of the corners, though. Basically pedaling whenever at max throttle and under 30-35mph, tucking the rest of the time.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing this ebike racing thing catching on.. or maybe just becoming slightly less obscure than it is now
PD
you can PM him & get some better details.

Thank You Thud....

I will keep you posted on whats going on with DR, but the fall race is up in the air right now. Working with sponsors and media for DR 2012

amberwolf said:
I didn't notice this before, but is that a dark line on the track itself that my rear tire crosses just as it slides out from under me? Because it looks like the slick asphalt repair lines I see on regular roads, as does the lateral one just past where I wiped out.

Not that I probably wouldn't have slid out without it, as I was already having a lot of trouble controlling the bike just then, but seeing that I think it didn't help me any if that's what it is. :lol:

Surely the track owner know to mix sand in and cover those snakes with sand when they put them down? After the coal tar hardens, they vacuum the excess sand up. That is how the Highway Dept does it here. A week later the dam things are slick as grease in the rain.

AW;
Keep your messed up leg elevated as much as you can. Ice it for 15 minutes, exercise it for 5 minute and ice it for 15 minutes will help it heal quicker.
This is standard sports medicine practice and has helped me recover from several wrecks in the past.

Great effort by all participants, especially Paul's WIN :!: :D :mrgreen:

John in CR said:
Dual hubbies or an actively blown hubbie were the right hub answer this year, but no one had one.

Uhhh, actively blowing one of LFP's dick motors... not an image one wants to have... :twisted:

This has been a fascinating thread to watch, even though racing is not my cup of tea, boys and their toys and all that. (g) Pushing the envelop of our transport is most interesting and who here could help but be thrilled by Paul besting the gassers, and others having a shot if not for having component breakdown. It looks like there were lots of things learned by all in the race.

Just a thought that no one else had mentioned in terms of evening out the chances on the field and keeping down the tendency towards grafting motorcycle components for advantage. I don't know if it has any validity at all. What if anyone could race in prelimaries, but if the main event were limited to anyone who's racing machine weighed at least 50% or less than their fully equipped race weight. This would give the bulkier riders a shot while keeping the machines light and still bicycles. I don't know what those gassers weigh, the cut-off percentage could be less or more than 50%, but it doesn't seem quite fair that only light riders have a real shot. There could even be a lower percentage minimum weight (pegged to the weight of the rider, which would necessitate a rider carrying sandbags like a horse to even the field, which might minimize the effect of those who have any amount of dollars to throw into light, specially one-off fabricated, alloy components. Any thoughts on this?

It would eliminate racers like me: CB2 weighs just about what I do. Even the new bike won't weigh that much less, if any, just because it's also meant to be a cargo bike and has a lot of frame for stiffness (whcih is also required to hold the heavy batteries I have, and keep the motor chain from twisting the frame and derailing like it used to on CB2).

EDIT: wait, I think you mean the opposite of what I thought you did: Do you mean that the bike has to weigh at least half of what the rider does? OR that it can't weigh any more than half?

amberwolf said:
In my digging for my crutches on Monday, I found some more parts to use to build the next DR bike from, though. :)

Hmmm... how 'bout building the bike frame out of crutches? Should be a great timesaver after an AW Epic Crash.

Day before yesterday I had a better idea than that, but I haven't been able to work out a strong enough mounting that is also quick release: Using the wheelchair as the seat itself. :)

I keep forgetting to post it up on the CB2 thread, so thanks for the reminder:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=393655#p393655

Uncle Ron said:
Any thoughts on this?

Run what ya' brung and winner takes all makes the most sense at the current grass roots level. Having a bunch of additional rules and regulations and classes just puts more pressure on the promoter(s). Not everyone that attends these events needs nor expects to win and if someone wants to throw a ton of money at a winning effort , well, that's racing but they still have to cross the finish line first.

amberwolf said:
It would eliminate racers like me: CB2 weighs just about what I do. Even the new bike won't weigh that much less, if any, just because it's also meant to be a cargo bike and has a lot of frame for stiffness (whcih is also required to hold the heavy batteries I have, and keep the motor chain from twisting the frame and derailing like it used to on CB2).

EDIT: wait, I think you mean the opposite of what I thought you did: Do you mean that the bike has to weigh at least half of what the rider does? OR that it can't weigh any more than half?

Amber,

Wait, I meant what you originally thought I meant. (g) First let me say that what you are doing for practical and recycling reasons makes you an ES poster who I read with alacrity and fascination. You are the resident ES Cuban, keeping his personal transport together with baling wire, spit and welding skills. Bravo! But a racing bike it ain't, and I probably shouldn't say this, but you're dangerous to yourself and others when it comes to the main event when all the marbles are on the line, and those who came to race and possibly win are pushing the envelope to the max. A cargo bike doesn't belong there being lapped 2, 3 or more times and getting in the way of those who are jockeying for the win. You're probably an asset having fun in the preliminary heats and providing a bigger than normal obsticle for riders with serious racing machines to learn by adapting to. But when everything is on the line and a bump here and a nudge there may be the difference, you'd be forcing others to take too much risk. That's just the opinion of someone who doesn't and never will have any skin in the game and I'm perfectly happy for you or anyone else to tell me I'm full of it.

The main reason I brought this up at all was seeing that Paul's bike was less than half his weight and thinking that this metric might be a way to even things up for the bulkier riders a bit when perhaps the sport gains some traction and must carry more rules.

Weight is a factor that changes significantly as the distance of events (and therefore the load of batteries) changes. Generally, weight is its own penalty.

Uncle Ron said:
amberwolf said:

Amber,

Wait, I meant what you originally thought I meant. (g) First let me say that what you are doing for practical and recycling reasons makes you an ES poster who I read with alacrity and fascination. You are the resident ES Cuban, keeping his personal transport together with baling wire, spit and welding skills. Bravo! But a racing bike it ain't, and I probably shouldn't say this, but you're dangerous to yourself and others when it comes to the main event when all the marbles are on the line, and those who came to race and possibly win are pushing the envelope to the max. A cargo bike doesn't belong there being lapped 2, 3 or more times and getting in the way of those who are jockeying for the win. You're probably an asset having fun in the preliminary heats and providing a bigger than normal obsticle for riders with serious racing machines to learn by adapting to. But when everything is on the line and a bump here and a nudge there may be the difference, you'd be forcing others to take too much risk. That's just the opinion of someone who doesn't and never will have any skin in the game and I'm perfectly happy for you or anyone else to tell me I'm full of it.

The main reason I brought this up at all was seeing that Paul's bike was less than half his weight and thinking that this metric might be a way to even things up for the bulkier riders a bit when perhaps the sport gains some traction and must carry more rules.

Ron;.
There is very little risk to other riders from a slow vehicle that keeps his line. A skilled rider that knows how and is being a menace is a real danger of huge proportion. It is up to the track stewards to make a black flag judgement, not us.
JWITIK. :mrgreen:

Gordo said:
There is very little risk to other riders from a slow vehicle that keeps his line. A skilled rider that knows how and is being a menace is a real danger of huge proportion. It is up to the track stewards to make a black flag judgement, not us.
JWITIK. :mrgreen:

Gordo,

Shows just what I know, or in this case don't. Admitting to being full of it, with apologies to Amber. So there were stewards as this Death Race minding the store? Great!

Here's a screengrab from Scotto-'s fisheye-vid. My hat's off to all the MB guys who shot vids, and the rest too.
PaulD-at-DR2011.png
http://motorbicycling.com/f35/death-race-4-16-2011-a-26743-43.html

Turn out for the undead race was pretty dissapointing. Even the DR was lower than last year. 5-6 buck gas next fall won't help either. Maybe we could still have a more informal fall gathering, where we just get to ride together on the track in between kart rentals next fall?

I for one, HUGELY appreciate Dave for keeping the DR alive.

dogman said:
Turn out for the undead race was pretty dissapointing. Even the DR was lower than last year. 5-6 buck gas next fall won't help either. Maybe we could still have a more informal fall gathering, where we just get to ride together on the track in between kart rentals next fall?

I for one, HUGELY appreciate Dave for keeping the DR alive.

Im sure alot of Tuscan mb locals would appreciate something like that if they don't already do it? Make it more of a group ride type of thing DoGmaN
and hammer it out on a track instead of the paths/cycle ways and roads...? Even if there was only half a dozen evenly paced bikes it would be fun
which i'm sure they would be as the type that would really want to be there would be into performance MB surely. With more regular meets it also might prompt more to get involved....give it a try in a month or so DoGMaN?

KiM

Lotta money, even for me, to travel to Tucson with the new price of gas this spring. Rooms in the crack ho hojos are cheap though. 8)

Wish there was more popping with ebikes in my local town. I have scouted a great paved road to nowhere that would be nice for a race. Steep hillclimb for a finish.

:lol: hey uncle Ron are you sure you are not the British comedian Alexei Sayle? do a Google image search! separated at birth if not :p

images

...5-6 buck gas next fall won't help either...I for one, HUGELY appreciate Dave for keeping the DR alive...

Smart move on his part. Clearly people who take the time and effort to post on ES are pro-electric, but every time we see a big spike-up in fuel prices, the gasser sites sell a lot of kits. Ask someone who bought one of these [loud] kits, and they will likely reply that they would prefer the electric, but a $700 Ping battery was just too big a pill to swallow at the time.

The Honda/Subaru 4-strokes are expensive, but worth it, yet...when someone who is short of money sees the Chinese 2-strokes, and they already own a beach-cruiser...

knoxie said:
:lol: hey uncle Ron are you sure you are not the British comedian Alexei Sayle?

Knoxie,

Ha, being a mature gent is a bitch. When I was young the comparison was to John Lennon. Now I'm a comic. Boohoo! (g)

knoxie said:
:lol: hey uncle Ron are you sure you are not the British comedian Alexei Sayle? do a Google image search! separated at birth if not :p

I remember him from the Young Ones, a very funny series, is he still around?

Oh yes he is still about, he shows up from time to time on the tele, he used to live about 5 miles from me in a village called moreton pinkney, used to see him out and about in an old e-type jag, very funny man indeed 8)

knoxie said:
Oh yes he is still about, he shows up from time to time on the tele, he used to live about 5 miles from me in a village called moreton pinkney, used to see him out and about in an old e-type jag, very funny man indeed 8)

knoxie;
We are starving for British Humour out here in the Colony. No more Benny Hill, Dave Allen, On the Busses, Are you Served, Doc Martin, Heartbeat, etc.
Just found Mrs. Brown on Utube with a couple of good skit. Do you have any guidance?
Thanks.

Well ha ha I can heartily recommend Lee Mack, his first DVD here is so worth a watch its amazing http://youtu.be/bxg8hAmRdpQ not wishing to hijack this thread though so back to normal business from now on, any more videos posted from the race? Luke did you post up you pictures and any video?

Back