Schwinn Spoiler---Now with 1200w Cyclone Motor

Hi, I just discovered this thread. I am also working on adding a motor to my customized schwinn spoiler. In this picture, you can see the saddle bags I bought to hold the battery on one side and the other side will be open for carrying beer and such. I probably will just use a front hub motor, if I can find one with a disc mount for a reasonable price. I see we also came to similar conclusions on the best seat and handlebar style for this bike.

P5020047 by jimw1960, on Flickr

jimw1960 said:
Hi, I just discovered this thread. I am also working on adding a motor to my customized schwinn spoiler. In this picture, you can see the saddle bags I bought to hold the battery on one side and the other side will be open for carrying beer and such. I probably will just use a front hub motor, if I can find one with a disc mount for a reasonable price. I see we also came to similar conclusions on the best seat and handlebar style for this bike.

P5020047 by jimw1960, on Flickr

Hi jimw1960,

Way back in june, while waiting for my spoiler to arrive I done a hell of a lot of web browsing looking at various spoilers and saving off the pictures. Guess what! I saved off your bike pics I found on RatRodBikes....

3354295759_bc1d2c989e_m.jpg

Cant link to your post or pics on ratrodbikes for some unknown reason :?:

Very nice spoiler :wink: As to buying a front hub motor (I see you added a SA 3 speed hub) I read somewhere that you need to watch out for what they call - Bunny Hop with a front motor due to the nature of the spoilers springer forks!
Another member on the forums - RallySTX / Brian is also motorising his spoiler. Well it might be a Stingray or an XL? depeding on which one he settles for :lol:

RallySTX thread...
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22134

I wasn't all that keen on the spoiler seat, that had to go right away. It took a long time to source out the one I liked but I eventually contacted BikeworldUSA and got one shipped. I dont know why they didn't built them like ours from the start with proper chopper handlebars and seat rather than that hurt your arse designer effort they came up with :roll:
I also had a prob sourcing out a new rear mudguard/fender but eventually got one. This took a tour of the USA before it reached me :)
I plan to add the new mudguard/fender to the old boobed one and scoop it round covering the rear wheel like yours.

I have a few bits layed aside for tarting up my spoiler once the weather lightens up.

Regards
Tom

Hello, and welcome to ES JimW. Unless you want to replace your front end, or suffer interminable wheel hop you might want to go with a rear motor like us, or an outdrive like Kim and others with choppers. Because the springer forks are undamped they will bounce unchecked from the power of the hubmotor on uneven pavement. You can read more at this thread on another site. The thread appears to be abandoned, but there's plenty to learn anyway.

http://visforvoltage.org/vehicle/spoiled-spoiler/7417

I too saw your thread on Ratrod bikes Jim, glad to see you're still in the game. Best of luck with the snow Tom, we are getting it here now too. I will be building both the Spoiler, and the Runt up. But the Stripper gets to play test bed first.
Brian L.

Optionally, just add a damper to the forks; it'll change their looks but it wouldn't be too tough. Small steering dampers might work, if they're adjustable. There are also small pen-marker-sized dampers used on some powerchairs that are adjustable/pneumatic.

Damn, blast and bugger it to hell :evil:

On the 6th Dec 2010 I ordered fom HK...

1 Icharger1010B+
2 pk of HXT 4mm Gold Connector w/ Protector (10pcs/s).
2 meter of Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 12AWG (1mtr) RED.
Total $187.80

Well the slow boat from china arrived on Monday 17th with a parcel containing...
2 pk of HXT 4mm Gold Connector w/ Protector (10pcs/s).
2 meter of Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 12AWG (1mtr) RED.
and a sheet of stickers.
No sign of a charger of any type? You'd think that some bright spark at HK would have worked out that there was something odd/wrong with 2 packets of connectors and 2 meters of wire adding up to $187:80? but no.

I sent HK an email asking about the missing charger (that was a pain, a lot of there customer service/complaints emails give you the dreaded mailer deamon) and telling them that I had since bought and recieved 2 Turnigy 5000mAh 5S 25C batteries from HK's German warehouse that I couldn't charge without the charger.

I got this reply today....

Dear Thomas:

Thank you for your email and sorry for late reply.

We are sorry that we missed item iCharger1010B due to system error for order#????????????????. Would you like us to resend the item or you want store credits for the item.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

*Due to high volume of daily emails, it may take 3 - 7 days before we read your email reply. We thank for your patience during this demanding time.*

Best Regards,

Morgan

HobbyKing Customer Support Team
http://www.hobbyking.com

WTF!!!! Would you like us to resend the item or you want store credits for the item.. This is the kind of dimwitted reply you get after telling them that your waiting on the charger to charge the 2 batterys you recieved recently!!

I have asked them to resend the charger but you may note --- *Due to high volume of daily emails, it may take 3 - 7 days before we read your email reply. We thank for your patience during this demanding time.*. Knowing my luck I'll probably get an email back in a day or two telling me there out of stock at the moment - Would you like store credits? :roll:

So I now sit twiddling my thumbs awaiting slow boat No2 from china :(

Regards
Tom

The Germans did that to you? Fire off another in bold type saying that the war is over already! I keep seeing stuff like this about HK and my scrotum shrivels about the order I have waiting for their American site. I'm fixin to ask for $300. worth of LIPO and a $100 charger in ths same order. I would go nuts looking at batteries without a charger. I don't think I could leave them alone. Then I'd be in a sticky wickett, dead new batteries with no way to recharge them. :oops: Too bad you can't call them and bitch about it. That would probably result in a DOA charger. My sympathies, TC, keep the faith, I'll send you one inside a burrito if I have too! Just let me know how it goes down man!
Brian L.

Did you pay with PayPal? If so, open a dispute against HK. This helped me every single time when something was wrong with my order.

RallySTX said:
The Germans did that to you? Fire off another in bold type saying that the war is over already! I keep seeing stuff like this about HK and my scrotum shrivels about the order I have waiting for their American site. I'm fixin to ask for $300. worth of LIPO and a $100 charger in ths same order. I would go nuts looking at batteries without a charger. I don't think I could leave them alone. Then I'd be in a sticky wickett, dead new batteries with no way to recharge them. :oops: Too bad you can't call them and bitch about it. That would probably result in a DOA charger. My sympathies, TC, keep the faith, I'll send you one inside a burrito if I have too! Just let me know how it goes down man!
Brian L.

No, the parcle from Germany (2 batts) was ok and a quick delivery. Its HK China that has/had the problem with my missing charger. I sit looking at these batts wishing I could give them a try out on my setup but i'll just have to wait on the charger arriving :(

Byte said:
Did you pay with PayPal? If so, open a dispute against HK. This helped me every single time when something was wrong with my order.

I think you misread or not understood my post? I did pay with Paypal but these no need to open any dispute as HK China have admitted there mistake...

Dear Thomas:

Thank you for your email and sorry for late reply.

We are sorry that we missed item iCharger1010B due to system error for order#????????????????. Would you like us to resend the item or you want store credits for the item.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

*Due to high volume of daily emails, it may take 3 - 7 days before we read your email reply. We thank for your patience during this demanding time.*

Best Regards,

Morgan

HobbyKing Customer Support Team
http://www.hobbyking.com

They are resending the charger but at the moment theres a -18 backorder on them. So it looks like I have to wait for them to restock then sit twiddling my thumbs awaiting slooow boat no2 for it to arrive :(

The good news!
The snow has cleared up but its still bitter cold with heavy frosts overnight. I managed to get my front wheel repainted gold. I took the bike around to my mates on Sunday and I got him to weld up a backrest. It still needs a little tinkering with and the welds buffed down and painted but its looking ok. I'll need to take some pictures (if I can hold the camera steady enough in the cold) and post em up.

Regards
Tom

Looking forward to the pics, but don't catch cold on our account. Sorry you are having typical issues with HK China. When will they learn? You would be better off ordering another charger from another site. I twould be there sooner, and the typically DOA crap from Hong Kong could serve as backup, in the off chance it arrives functional. I really wish I could be more optamistic, but after all the horror stories, it aint easy! That's why I'm buying another hub now instead of batts from HK USA. By the time the cash arrives for a decent buy, I'll have a better idea of their success with customers. Did you check Ebay for a good used charger?
Brian L.

RallySTX said:
Looking forward to the pics, but don't catch cold on our account. Sorry you are having typical issues with HK China. When will they learn? You would be better off ordering another charger from another site. I twould be there sooner, and the typically DOA crap from Hong Kong could serve as backup, in the off chance it arrives functional. I really wish I could be more optamistic, but after all the horror stories, it aint easy! That's why I'm buying another hub now instead of batts from HK USA. By the time the cash arrives for a decent buy, I'll have a better idea of their success with customers. Did you check Ebay for a good used charger?
Brian L.

I'll just wait on the charger arriving from HK China. Iv'e got lots of stuff I can be getting on with until it arrives.

Backrest.
I cut up a couple of lenghts of bent tubing of a weird looking contraption that I found in a skip - it looked as though someone was making a sled?
Cut another piece of thicker tube and drilled holes in it to hold the two longer lengths and got my mate to weld this up. We were stuck for a piece of tubing to make the hoop at the top so we used a piece of square bar and rounded of the ends so that it slotted into the round tubing, then this was all welded up.

backrest1.jpg

Back home I cleaned up all the welds and rounded of the square bar a bit so that theres no sharp edges that'll cut into the cover. By the time I had that done and a coat of paint on it, it was getting dark so no pics :(

backrest2.jpg

As you can see its not perfect but once the covers on you hardly notice the slight twist. The backrest will be held on under the seat by the handlebar stem. I was goingto drill a small hole in the stem to stop the rotation but I may have a better idea/design. Stay tuned

It looks as thought its going to be a brighter day than yesterday (very overcast & dull) so i'll get more pics done ;)

Regards
Tom

ooh, the sheet of cardboard? well thats another story ;)

I like that. Very thrifty use of available materials. I would bet you could sleep in that seat when it's done. It already looks confy. I finally ordered a 20 inch rear hubbie from Methods yesterday. UPS says it should be here by Friday. Then I can finally fit it to the bike, and finalize the tourqe arm design. With any luck the Spoiler should be running in a few months. I only hope they don't close my build thread before I get a chance to finish it. I believe we only get 90 days to make a thread, or something like that. Anyway, I look forward to the pix. I am starting to like the saddle bag setup on Jims bike. I'm thinking about buying one, and using it for the batteries. The only drawback would be that I would need extra long throttle and Ebrake cables. Cheers.
Brian L.

The plans of mice & men.
A nice sunny day, windy but sunny. The plan was to give the bike a wash and polish it up a bit before I took some more pictures.
I managed to give it a wash but then all of a sudden it got rather dark!!? The soft pitter patter of rain drops soon turned into a monsoon. I hauled the bike back indoors and waited. About an hour passed and the sun peeked out again. I hauled out the bike and got a cloth, tyre shine and camera ready .... pitter patter. aaahh FFS.

After 3 attempts hualing the bike in and out of the house I managed to get these qiuck pics taken before the monsoon hit again.

Gold Wheel.

5407922242_b1a6509e17.jpg

I'll need to wait until I can get more clear lacquer before I do the rear wheel. Its hard to see in this picture but there are 3 different colours of gold there - Wheel rim - Cable - Disc rotor, thought the disc rotor is more a brass colour than gold, I may spray it the same colour as the rim to cut back on the oddness look of the 3 different colours.

Backrest.
I attached the backrest and gave the cover and seat a quick polish with tyre shine. After giving the bolts a good tighten it looks as though it will hold without rotating when I lean back on it? I may not need to add that locking bolt I planned on, riding time will tell.
I still have to cut the excess ends off and maybe make plugs to slip into the tube ends.

5407311331_10221a22d4.jpg

5407921984_d00db2d20c.jpg

5407311617_330aa4ee4e.jpg

Fingers crossed for better weather so I can get some more done ;)

Regards
Tom

Thanks Tom, yeah, just cut back on the brightness, or exposure and the flash wont wash out as much color as before. It takes practice, but at least your pix were sharp! I have to take multiple shots to get a chance at getting a sharp one. Boy, that seat looks inviting. You're getting monsooned, Kim is getting typhooned, and I'm getting blizarded. You're not alone man. Perseverance paid off, cheers.
Brian L.

RallySTX said:
I am starting to like the saddle bag setup on Jims bike. I'm thinking about buying one, and using it for the batteries. The only drawback would be that I would need extra long throttle and Ebrake cables. Cheers.
Brian L.

Speaking of saddle bags. When I was waiting for my spoiler to arrive I found these pics on the Schwinn forums. I too thought about getting saddle bags after seeing this beauty... you'll note I ended up getting the very same seat :D

5407857421_28420d89d1.jpg

5408467830_fed6d2e933.jpg

5407857611_6f4baa073c.jpg

At xmas time I was tempted to buy this set I found on ebay but the money went on my missing charger :(
I may still get this set once I can afford it.

SB2-b.jpg

A set of these will really bling up any chopper. Now where's that piggybank hiding :mrgreen:

Regards
Tom

Hey Tom, I got a post from the man with the battery box you liked. His name is Ryan, he lives in the US and he posted on my build thread. I mentioned to him that a few of us might be interested in a duplicate battery box. I will let you know what he tells me. There are two pics of his bike on my thread.
Brian L.

FREE ELECTRIC :D
(for charging up my lipos)

I have a 12V 93amp deep cycle battery and a 4.8Watt solar panel. I tried it out the other day and I managed to charge up my lipos no problem.

SOLAR PANEL 4.8Watt.
5624235981_0b10057214.jpg

DEEP CYCLE BATTERY & ICHARGER.
5624825666_0ed69dfb3b.jpg

Today I made a couple of copper bars from flattened 3/4in pipe and have clipped the croc clips from the panel and my Icharger 1010+B. I now have free electric to charge up my lipos.

Happy Bunny :mrgreen:

Regards
Tom

WHAT A PLONKER?
(I dont know my LH-Freewheel from my Right?)

I found a local turner and had him turn me up a piece that he press fitted into the lefthand cup of a bottom bracket. I had my mate put a little weld on it to make sure it stays put. I then slipped this onto my motor shaft and gave it a few good whacks with a hammer to make sure it was well seated in. I was going to get my mate to put a tack on the shaft to make sure it held in place but im glad he wasn't at home to do the weld!

Today I finished making up a plate to hold my motor, I then measured my new chain and took off some links, fitted the chain and snapped the master link on. I thought all I had left to do was hook up the controller and batts and I'd be off - simple!
But no, the lefthand freewheel still rotates when the bike is in motion, it only freewheels when I move the bike backwards.........aaaaaaaarrrrgggggghhhhhhhh shit.

Press fitted bb cup.
5683915166_f97d832515.jpg

5683915310_9a27e9b454.jpg

Motor and Freewheel direction.
The freewheel on the motor freewheels in a clockwise direction.
It drives in an anti-clockwise direction, the trouble is the bike will always be moving forward and this will turn the freewheel - the motor will always be turning and not freewheeling like I wanted.
5683347875_cf080313e9.jpg

Damn and blast!
So it looks like its back to the drawing board. I think I'll need a RH bottom bracket cup and a RH freewheel, then pay another vistit to the turner for another piece made up. :(

Top,
Get a Dicta freewheel. you can screw it on from the front, flip the assembly over so the motor drive will not spin the freewheel off the threads....boom! your in busness.

http://www.amazon.com/Dicta-18t-32-BMX-freewheel/dp/B001CJVFMU

Thud said:
Top,
Get a Dicta freewheel. you can screw it on from the front, flip the assembly over so the motor drive will not spin the freewheel off the threads....boom! your in busness.

http://www.amazon.com/Dicta-18t-32-BMX-freewheel/dp/B001CJVFMU

You've lost me with the flip over assembly bit?
My lefthand freewheel screws on when the motor is in motion. No fear of it screwing off.

Iv'e been thinking this over for the past few hours and have come to the conclusion that my freewheel setup on the motor wont work, no matter whether I use a LH or a RH freewheel.

5683347875_cf080313e9.jpg

As you look at the picture above - left side of bike. Everything is traveling in an ANTI-clockwise direction, ie motor with LH freewheel - chain and large sprocket on back wheel. So when the bike is in motion the wheel/sprocket will be turning the chain, the chain will keep the freewheel turning. For the freewheel to work it would have to freewheel in an anti-clockwise direction and that would never work as the motor has to drive in an anti-clockwise direction.

Regards
Tom

I use standard free wheels all the time...left or right side. you Just need the ability to thread it onto your adapter from either side of the freewheel itself. (the Dictas will do that...but they are not LH threaded)

It may change the assembly sequence a little bit if you can grind the teeth where the removal tool bites your SP freewheel & thread your adapter on from the front, you have reversed the direction the Pawls engadge.

Just work it out with the parts in your hand.
I asume the rear sprocket is hard mounted to the hub.

If you use a standard freewheel & adapter it will "drive" fine on the port side with a standard thread.

I'm lost, all I see is enough chain to make a lumberjack nervous! :lol: It's easy to get turned arround on a job like that one. What I would do, is get a clipboard, get down by the side of the bike you are working on, draw out the drivetrain, one side at a time, with arrows showing direction of rotation, and just keep the notes current. If you install a freewheel on that motor, you had better hope there isn't much inner resistance when it's off, or you'll never be able to back the bike up. If you turn the wheel forward now, with the wrong frwweheel, you are turning the motor too. :shock: All this does TC, is show your only feline, Don't let it wrinkle a whisker. I feel sorry for that back wheel. See Ya.
Brian L.

Back