Willow Springs Race June 18th Roll Call

Evoforce

10 kW
Willow springs race is just around the corner. Something like 53 days. Who is thinking about going? Sounds like we can camp at the track if we want to. A bunch of the Cali guys camped at the track at the last couple of Death Races in Tucson. They seem to have a blast doing that. Let's get some chatter going and show up for this race!

Too soon, too far for me. Mainly though, it's a date I cannot take anymore time off work. Summer is bust ass time for me.

I'm coming for certain, and bringing 3 other ebike riders (4 total).

I want to run with the gas bikes though. I don't want to see electrics treated any differently than gassers.

Consider this Bimoped. The electric bikes have varying equipment and speed also. Do not think that they are all built as speed racers. If I am able to get any friends to go some of them may only be on 20 mph bikes. None of us are doing this as a profession and we want to encourage all levels to show up for the fun. If you only have a 20 something mph bike how is it fun to only race in the fast gas catagory? Most of the fun happens when you find yourself dueling it out with someone on the track that shakes out to your same level. Of the two racing events that I have participated in, I have yet to have my race bike actually race in the main event. Even though I hope to have it ready for the Willow Springs event I may personally have to ride a back-up bike that goes 35-37mph... again!

BiMoPed said:
liveforphysics said:
I'm coming for certain, and bringing 3 other ebike riders (4 total).

I want to run with the gas bikes though. I don't want to see electrics treated any differently than gassers.
4 is a good start....
I don't have time to round you guys up. You do it and report back.

You guys will be treated differently cause you have batteries .....

Yes, the 8 or so fastest ebikes will be running against the fastest gas bikes.
That's if you don't blow your bikes up or catch on fire. lol

First heats and race will be the eBikes so you have time to recharge for the
final unlimited race so I guess you are getting treated differently.

13 Numbers, 87 through 99 are reserved for eBikes.
Do you think there will be more than 13 racing?

Yes, you can tent or car camp at the track for free. RV hook ups are $25

Can you find out of the track will have a 220v 30amp (like a standard equipment/dryer/hotwater heater outlet) available for charging?

If they will, I can bring a 5kw charge setup that can get most ebikes charged in 5-15mins.

I've raced the "Streets" track before on a motocycle.
My "built for assist" Ebike would have me pedeling like crazy just to get up the first hill.
Wicked fun track though.
Nothing else like it in the West.

Just got back home after a few weeks of isolated camping bliss punctuated by tornadoes, lighting break outs, and massive flooding. I'll be there (and possibly Damon of Sacremento) and anyone from Bakersfield need/want a ride contact me. Plan to head over to Willow Springs on Friday and camp. I may only have 31mph on the .6mi kart track, just enough for some fun. Maybe June before a semi-solid list of racers firms up. How do I pay you the $25?

My poor camper, just bought it last August. Big limb sqawshed diagonally across bed just 2 to 5 minutes after I got up and out.

Can't wait to get the little toy Astro3210 geared low and ready to go. Aiming to make the trophy dash on 2.8horse power. . .hehe

Don't tempt us purist's too hard or we'll bring solar. If I had the time to throw some panel at it for this race, I would! :wink:

PaulD said:
Dang, I just realized this conflicts with the Ashland Super D. http://ashmtnadv.com/?page_id=105
Hmmm.. pedaling down 12 miles of epic mountain bike trail... or ripping around a go kart track (after driving for 8 hours)... tough call.

If you drive the first part of the way down (San Jose or Santa Cruz) we can meet and I will drive us the rest of the way down.

I'm also thinking camping friday night sounds fun. :)

Ok, I'm trying to picture 4 guys, and 4 ebikes, along with enough lipo to take out a small town crammed into a Honda Insight possibly towing a trailer. I'm gonna need to see pictures. :lol:

Nicobie, are you coming?

I'll be there, I plan on getting an RV hookup if anyone wants to share. I'm also bringing my dirtbike and quad if anyone wants to go desert running afterward. :p

liveforphysics said:
If you drive the first part of the way down (San Jose or Santa Cruz) we can meet and I will drive us the rest of the way down.

I'm also thinking camping friday night sounds fun. :)

Thanks for the offer.. it does sound like a good time. I might even have my 100 amp controller working by then! decisions...decisions..

screw it,
I just wanna RACE.
To really test myself against the track, and the fellows who feel the same way about machinery as I do.

I wish I could make the event on the bully....the bike handles like a dream & if I ever get controllers to keep it operating in the 4-8hp range it will be an absolute riot on the kart tracks.

I am sick of talking about power limits, class structure, safety, & everything else.

I will conform to any rules set for an event...Have a tech inspection. even a crappy one.

My Joy comes in testing myself on the track against another rider, who is hopefully a little faster than myself so i may learn something. Or even a stopwatch. doesn't matter to me of its 2hp or 70hp
(I was actually looking foward to racing Safe on 1000w bikes)

& the formula for hp BiMoPed 752 watts=1hp volts x amps =watts......paulD's 66.6v 100 amp controller will deliver a peak 8.8 HP (wich means nothing in terms of power delivery)

Thud said:
I am sick of talking about power limits, class structure, safety, & everything else.
I know how you feel, but constraints are what make it a race, not a beatdown or wallet contest.

Builder skill and pilot skill are best tested when the constraints are narrow.

Even a 1000W race needs specifics: how measured , etc. That's why I lean on the claimer concept: build whatever you like, but do it with the knowledge somebody can buy it. :D

Luke's pink Bike-O-Death vs. the Bully.... I'd pay good money to see those race each other. ThunderDrome?
EDIT: Throw Matt S. in there too. Battle of the titans.

PlaceHolder.gif

BiMoPed said:
What does a 100 amp controller mean in terms of hp and speed?
how does that compare with the bike you won the Death Race on?

I will be discussing eBike and gas bike HP limits with a few local racers this Saturday.
Personally I don't see anything good coming out of a HP race for Motorized Bicycle Racing
in SoCal, gas or electric.
My feelings on it is that I am going to limit the Hp to a Morini 11 hp or equivalent for electric.
[/b]

BiMoPed, I understand what you mean about a HP race. If I can actually successfully run 100A, then Thud is correct, its about 8.5-9hp. Although, this will probably be faster than an 11hp morini. I also don't want to bring a knife to a gun fight if others are running BMX bikes with motorcycle drivetrains (ahem, Luke)...still not sure if I will make it down, but whatever rules are agreed upon, I will follow (provided it doesn't require major bike changes).

I got a rule for ya:

For every 10 HP you have to add another body to the bike.

Hmmmm,
Let's calculate that with Luke's 52 hp, this will require two on the rear pegs one on the handlebars and one on Luke's shoulders. I'll race that guy!! :mrgreen:

Thundedrome?
I have a Mars 708 sitting on the bench & a decent alltrax to power a moped frame for the remaining events...I'll be dropping by the bone yards looking for a suitable donnor as soon as I mail a package to the west coast. :wink:
I won't even pretend to call it an e-bicycle.

The track in Detroit will destroy a bicycle frame with me riding it.
I have no idea what to expect at the K-zoo race.

As for a match up...I would love it.
Constraints...for sure.
Maybe we should start a thread? :mrgreen:
"Claiming" makes sence if we are up against unlimited funds....&/or racing for money.
For hobby level fun its overkill.

For starters, the organizers need to understand what a RACE is. I laugh when I hear about a fast bike being "dangerous" on a race track. If its a "Run on the track Ralley event" call it what it is....calling it a race will bring racers who will pay & play to win.

As for constriants,
A simple base point of specified tires, a list of motor's allowed & possibly a "not to excceed voltage" for the bicycle crowd. (just a thought) & specify bicycle components.

The weight limit is a event kill as it elliminates a HUGE base of potential participants. I havn't seen a hub set up yet that could run with the bully. (when it runs :( )
there are many ways to define the equipment and maintain the bicycle spirit of the events.

If i had the resources I would be a promoter.

It would be impossible to do a tally. No one makes up their mind till the last minute. Also Bimoped, just because people say their bikes are extreem HP doesn't make it so. Plus you have to consider sandbaggers may not say anything. :wink: Then add to that, the bicycle has to end up making it to the finish line. People who have not raced should not be thinking of making any rules. This event, and any like it, so far, have not paid place money. MOST RULES ARE NOT NEEDED....YET. We are doing this for fun, period. We will be lucky to have 5-10 electric riders show up. I hope I am proven wrong about this. We are people from all parts of the world here on ES. It is hard enough getting us to agree on many things let alone making committments. Do you have a tally of how many gassers are going to show?

Thud said:
Thundedrome?
For starters, the organizers need to understand what a RACE is. I laugh when I hear about a fast bike being "dangerous" on a race track. If its a "Run on the track Ralley event" call it what it is....calling it a race will bring racers who will pay & play to win.

+1

Am i the only one that has a sneaking suspicion BiMoped wants the power levels of e-bikes constrained so not to upstage the stink bikes...again? :p

KiM

News flash, every race is a wallet contest. Even claimers couldn't fix that.

dogman said:
News flash, every race is a wallet contest. Even claimers couldn't fix that.
liveforphysics said:
My controller is $950usd. My battery is $1,100.
I would not enter an event with a $300 claimer option.
Make it $1K... Still not worth it.

I'd say fixed.

Like I haven't thrown away more than a grand to do a single race event before. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Back