Willow Springs Race June 18th Roll Call

Good luck Etard!

I will be heading out as soon as we finish.

I'm still trying to get it together. I've got a 7 hour ride ahead of me. Still need to get vehicle loaded and add freon to AC. Midnight gate curfew I might not make. Wish me luck! Etard, I've got 350,000 miles on one that looks just like it. Gotta go.....See ya there......

Evoforce said:
I'm still trying to get it together. I've got a 7 hour ride ahead of me. Still need to get vehicle loaded and add freon to AC. Midnight gate curfew I might not make. Wish me luck! Etard, I've got 350,000 miles on one that looks just like it. Gotta go.....See ya there......

Good luke EvoForce!! You're awesome! :Thumbs Up!:

Forget the AC man, it's not even supposed to hit 80 here today, I don't have any AC, no sweat here :p

3 hours later an I'm still 2 hours away :evil:

But it's over 100F just in Phoenix/valley area, where he's starting from, and getting hotter as I type. :(

I expect in the open desert it'll be even worse, especially with the transmission hump heating up the car a LOT inside. It was bad enough back in mid-April for the Death Race!

Have fun boys! Wish I was going. Turn on the cameras if you have time in between fixing stuff. 8)

Ok, It is now 12:30 a.m. I am leaving Phoenix in about an hour. Gotta gas up, put in a little oil, grab some ice, soda, mula, and hit the road. Truck looks like it is going to take off on runway 12. Air shocks won't pump up. Must be plastic tubing rotted, don't have time to fix. Wished you could go Amberwolf, going to be lonesome going solo. No sleep for me. Got 3 hours yesterday. Been having technical trouble with race bike. Got bike up running couple of times but got a few bad cells in this 72 volt pack. Bought it used and haven't had the chance to run it to discover the bad ones till couple of nights ago. Found another in the pack last night but haven't had the chance to change it out yet. Sure am glad I got extra new ones from JimmieD. This bike is flashy. It is going to be heavier than the lipo's but it has speed. Hope to keep it functioning and actually be able to race it. No one lent me a trailer, so I built a heavy duty rack for the back of the jeep. Threw on four bikes. Somethings gonna race! Well let's hope I make it there first. I'm on a shoe string. Wish I had time to show or do pictures. No more time to talk, wish me luck......Ed

Luck be with you Ed! Huge respect for doing it! I hope you kick ass! I mighteven need to borrow a bike from you again. LOL!

Our bike is about 85% finished. Then we can start assembly. Looks like assembly and wiring will be happening on the drive. Lol

You wouldn't like it any other way Luke. 8)

Bike is done. It rips. Its a damn nice build!

We are driving now. 5Hrs left. ETA 11:30am

I'm in San Bernadino at a Jack for breakfast. Not much further to go. See ya there!

Once again, whoever didn't make it missed out on a very fun event. I really hope the sport picks up, I think it's an economical way to get into two wheeled racing.

On to the race. There was a gasser that was lapping 2nd place (Alex who PaulD beat at DR) in the 12 lap Unlimited main event. I was battling for third place with "crazy" Dave who you will see a lot of in my YouTube video of the heat race. Unfortunately, I didn't get any footage of the main event, but the racIng was actually more intense in the heat race between us (which I took 2nd in). The Jr. Brute developed a problem in the motor on lap 8 of the main event. We were mixing it up back and forth, I had him in the turns and he had me on the straights, I could not shake him no matter how hot I came into the turn, there he was motoring past me for the next turn. It made it real hard to catch up with Alex when I kept having to settle for a less than ideal line through each turn. :evil:

So after 8 laps of hard riding the rewound motor finally gave up the ghost. Biff looked it over and said it was probably a shorted phase wire. When the Brute quit, it just died, not even a partial fail, just like somebody turned the switch off, I don't know how a shorted phase wire acts, but Biff knows way more than I do about this.

So guess who won the Ebike class? SoSauty did on his white stallion. He was not the fastest out there, but he was consistent and today, that was enough. I'm glad he did, cuz now he gets to keep the motor he donated for first ebike and make another build with it. Go Will go!

All in all, it was a successful event, as many riders as where at the DR, enough guys showed up to pay for it and BiMo is happy!! Can you belief it??!! But seriously, let's get some real showing for the next one.

So here is the run down of ebikes that showed:

1. SoSauty on a highly modified Recumpence drive with a HV 160 and lipo, winner!
2. EvoForce with his Headway powered crystalite 5303 with sick LED's you gotta see it!
3. Dan Henebrink on his stokemonkey fat tire bike run through the gears ( he let me ride it, awesomeness!).
4. Dennis ( forgot screenname) on his highly modded Optibike who somehow got banned ( super nice guy).
5. LFP, we all know the continueing saga here...
6. Etard, team Thud, sorry bro, next time we'll get a bigger motor huh?
7 Shiny Balls, he had a Headway powered bike that was not completed.
8. RWP who had a quite fast bike with an even faster rider

Nice summary Dave, those gassers have 50 years on us and we only need 5 years to get e-bikes reliable, inexpensive, and dominate, It's all up to us in the E-S forum in conjunction with the motored bike community. Those guys are giving us e-bikers piggy back priviledges, what a great bunch.

Talked with a lady that worked for Willow Raceway for about 30min. She was very interested in the Motored Bike concept and impressed with how our group functioned and came together. She called us, "an Eclectic group."

And Dave, what's this about you torture testing bikes, did I hear you broke a few :twisted:

Being out in the desert with a bunch of gearheads, too much fun. At 1st folks were hesitant about scoring, yet toward the end the scorekeepers sure seemed to having a scream, pointing out who was having a battle for 7th place, or who slid off the track, ect. ect.. I overshot the corner and headed right for that bunch at one point, sure kept 'em alert :wink:

Luke has a killer charger, we need never worry 'bout our lipo having voltage sag again :!:

I'll spend Sunday viewing fotos and vids fer sure :mrgreen:

(Edit comment for Lyen: My little 3210 cut 1min20sec laps, 70amp/45V, 31mph; Dave(& Roy) 1min10sec laps, 18s maybe 70V ?45amp, 40mph; top gassers in same ball park with the exception of one very hopped up 196cc 4stroke which turned 60sec laps, 17-22mph turns)

Attachments

• Winner 2011 Willow Springs.jpg
    Winner 2011 Willow Springs.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 1,870
You guys are awesome indeed. I wish I could team up with anyone of you next time. I think we need to team up and engineer an emoto-terminator for the next race to compete with the 2 & 4 cylinders gas bikes. :)

Just for my curiosity, can you guys tell me the speed differences between the fastest and the slowest ebikes/gas engined bikes during the race? What are the average speed for straight lines and the average cornering speed?

For continuous amperage output for racing application, I believe it does not hurts to add a temperature warning sensor/indicator to the motor either internal or external mount.

here is a link to a TON of photographs of the event:
http://www.caliphotography.com/photos/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=15044

I think this picture sums up my race, it looks almost like we are on the same bike! :lol:

photo-6.png

Lyen, the fastest bike was going at least 50 mph on the straights and prolly doing at least 25-30 through most turns. I never had a chance to glance at the speedo.

Nice job winning the ebike class So Sauty! You have to have dug that a lot! I keep saying, finishing is the most important thing.

Anyone get any video footage before all the bikes packed in? :shock:

etard was rolling footage of the entire battle he had in the heat race (he finished 2nd in) I am trying to be pateint......what a tease.

Back