BMSBattery/ECityPower Experience

Once I received the kit i tried to assemble it, but the rear wheel wouldn't fit on my bike. The rim had not been built properly and was not centred on the wheel, so the tyre rubbed the frame. I contacted BMS Battery and they admitted the fault and suggested I take it to a bike workshop to get it re-spoked. When I told them this would cost approx £25 they told me to 'borrow a screwdriver and do it myself'!!

A nipple wrench is like $10, and a good tool to have!
Most machine built wheels need their spokes tightened up after the first 50 miles anyways, so it's not a HUGE deal.
but yeah, bmsbattery has laughable customer service

what do u guys think about this i just saw it posted on the fb group they got some really good prices on some of the batteries but are they reliable or good sellers? i did a search and saw many people mention buying parts from them, im not sure if they just recently started selling batteries vs their chargers but id like to know more on the batteries, anyone had experience with them?

BMSBATTTERY?

what do u guys think about this i just saw it posted on the fb group they got some really good prices on some of the batteries but are they reliable or good sellers? i did a search and saw many people mention buying parts from them, im not sure if they just recently started selling batteries vs their chargers but id like to know more on the batteries, anyone had experience with them?

You could do a forum search for BMS Battery and find a bunch of hits. It's the same company as Ecity Power. I bought 2 LiFePo4 packs from them a couple years ago. BMS failed on one and needed to be replaced, 2 cells died as a result. The other one still works OK. For customer service and reliability in those plug-and-play packs, Ping is the way to go.

I live in Victoria, BC. I've purchased raw Headway cells and BMS from them, as well as bought one 48V 16Ahr Headway pack which I took apart and reassembled to modify its physical dimensions. The battery was well built with good connectors and soldering, and the BMS does a good job (so far) of balancing the cells (better than the Signalab I used on the raw cells) at exactly 3.65 per cell plus or minus .01. The battery was well packed and arrived in a timely fashion with no issues. I would buy from them again.

thanks i have made a search but mostly what i run into are chargers or bms only not so much their batteries

when testing individual cells can you take off the aluminum box and put a volt tester on each cell while still connected in series or parallel? or do they have to be individually tested? can you test a series row usually to just test 4 or 5 times?

I've got my packs in trunk bags, with detachable outer impact protection (expoxy board/yellow foam), so I can access each cell. You just put a voltmeter across each cell while it is still connected to the others in series. You can also hand charge individual cells to improve the balance, while the others are connected, with a 3.65 volt single cell charger. Every now and then I hand balance the pack, to improve the balance, even if the Signalab LEDs are all lit up (on my pack with the Signalab). The stocked BMS which came with the other pack works better than the Signalab for balancing. I wouldn't say that the voltage drop under load is any less than on a Ping pack of the same size, but the cells seem to "deliver the current faster", and feel zippier while accelerating.

My Email

Hi,

I recieved the order thankyou.

I have a problem with one motor.
When I ran the motor, I could hear the motor running, but the wheel did not turn.
I opened the motor and found that the ring gear was loose.
Please see the picture to understand.
IMAG0540.jpg
IMAG0541.jpg
What can be done to fix this.

Kind regards,
Daryl

Reply from BMS Battery.

Hi sir,

You can change the green and blue cables and try again.

So how do I reply to that? Here is my thought.

Hi,
Swapped the green and blue cables, still the ring gear is fallen out.
I could try swapping the yellow and blue, if that does not work, I will try letting some air out of the tires and see if that fixes it.

..I can understand his answer, but look at the pictures please. The casting had not been machined properly so the ring gear was not tight and spun in the casting. I have since fixed it by making a key and using bearing locktight. (days work)

How do you think I reply to him to make him understand?

I would recommend changing the blinker fluid.

Well that's craptastic. :mrgreen: Chinese quality control at its finest...

A new one would fix it, barring that, some of Dr Bass's magic epoxy? Grub screws from the outside (you would need a right-angled drill attachment + tap?

I fixed it by filing a groove in the our side of the ring gear, then inserting a grubscrew between the ring gear and the housing. Along with locktight bearing glue. The fit was snug, just not snug enough to stop it turning. Its going fine now, but the wheel has a wobble, the machining of the inside must have been on the p*ss. So not flash. This is the 8fun BPM motor, not a bad motor, grunty, big fat gears.

I wonder if BMS battery might on sell the rejects from the factory.

Just personal opinion, but based on reports here on ES from various people, I think they sell anything they can get their hands on, even if it doesn't fit the description or specifications of what the customer actually bought. I also think that they don't actually stock anything at all, and wait until the customer buys one to go find a place that sells something like what the customer paid for. If they can't find one in a few weeks or months, they just send whatever kinda looks like that, or whatever broken one some other customer sent back to them last time. ;)

amberwolf said:
Just personal opinion, but based on reports here on ES from various people, I think they sell anything they can get their hands on, even if it doesn't fit the description or specifications of what the customer actually bought. I also think that they don't actually stock anything at all, and wait until the customer buys one to go find a place that sells something like what the customer paid for. If they can't find one in a few weeks or months, they just send whatever kinda looks like that, or whatever broken one some other customer sent back to them last time. ;)

That's my guess too. There is a big market in Shenzen (on Huaqiang North Road, does that ring any bells? Keywin, maybe?). See here for some info on the size of it: http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2009/a-visit-to-the-electronics-markets-of-shenzhen/ or here: http://welcometochina.com.au/shenzhen-electronics-shopping-huaqiangbei-and-seg-electronics-market-486.html

I reckon there are lots of small Chinese entrepreneurs who just take orders from people in the West, then go shopping in the market and see if they can find something that vaguely matches what's been ordered!

That is hilarious! There is a joke which seems to have many different versions, but everyone in China seems to know and love: it always begins with someone from some other country trying to pull some slightly gamey business maneuver (usually from Japan), only to be sold toothpicks made from used/discarded chopsticks.

Enjoy your toothpick. If it is any consolation I think there were likely a small table full of hearty laughs and beers drunk at your expense.

amberwolf said:

My recent orders took from 3 to 10 business days to ship, including customizing the chargers to my desired voltage, cutting spokes to desired length and sending the correct motor winds exactly as I ordered. They DO have their own warehouse too, but it seems not all products are stocked there. Remember BMSBattery are sales division of Ecitypower. They ARE the makers of EMC alloy chargers, or at least have them made to spec including PCB design. They also seem to fabricate the headway packs on demand as many other do, which takes some time. Shipping by DHL is very fast. Most sales people there are clueless exactly as with the OP's motor, but that does not imply they resell rejects. In fact I've had 7 out of 7 perfectly fine BPM motors from them. I've always kept one spare motor but never needed it. The motor shown in the pic is still the old school case design, I haven't got this trom BMSBattery for quite some time. So maybe the OP got some kind of reject.

HAHAHAH!

I've had pretty good luck with them, but nothing technical yet. It surprises me how little some of the folks know about what they are selling/building.

I guess this tale won't be news to many, and maybe I should have taken heed of the tales on here before dealing with this useless bunch, but as they had a motor I wanted, the fast wind (code 8 ) BPM, I ordered from them, around three weeks ago now. First shock was the higher than average shipping charge, they seem to charge more for the weight/size of parcel than other Chinese suppliers, so I suspect they are profiteering on shipping costs. Nevertheless, I bit the bullet and went ahead with the order.

The payment went through OK (PayPal) on 29th July and I received confirmation and an invoice. The next day they contacted me to say that two of the items I'd ordered weren't available in that size (they were spokes) so would I accept alternatives. I replied the same day and confirmed that the alternatives were OK. The next day they confirmed the change to the order (so now day three after placing the order).

I heard nothing more for the next two weeks, until on 13th August BMS Battery emailed me to say there was another problem, and they didn't have the spokes that they offered to me as alternatives on 30th July (why did it take them two weeks to find this out?). I again confirmed that the new alternatives they were offering would be OK and asked them to dispatch the order immediately, as it was now over two weeks since I'd placed the order with them.

Yesterday they emailed me to say that they were sending the order off (about bloody time - only 17 days after I'd paid them............). I thought all was now finally on track and I might, at last, receive something.

Today they've emailed me to say that they need another $23 from me to cover extra shipping charges before they will send the order off - so clearly they didn't send it yesterday at all!

I've had enough now, and am trying to get my money back from them, if need be via a PayPal dispute.

I strongly advise anyone thinking of doing business with BMS Battery to think long and hard before sending them any money. If you can accept very, very slow service, poor commmunication and risk not receiving the same items as you've ordered, then maybe go ahead. Otherwise I'd stay well clear. I'm currently down $268 for goods that cost $160 (yes, you read that right, shipping really was over $100 for a small 5kg package!!!).

I believe I have read of each of those types of things being done by that company to various ES members multiple times, though not always all of them to the same person. There are yet more things that they've done, which apparently you will not get the chance to experience, as those usually involve problems after actually receiving something.

amberwolf said:
I believe I have read of each of those types of things being done by that company to various ES members multiple times, though not always all of them to the same person. There are yet more things that they've done, which apparently you will not get the chance to experience, as those usually involve problems after actually receiving something.

Yes, it was my own stupid fault for choosing to deal with them despite some of the experiences others have related. I was suckered by them apparently offering the fast wind BPM motor at a reasonable price, so thought I'd take the gamble.

I think the main problem is that their web site looks reasonably well set up for a Chinese vendor, and has the convenience of PayPal. Their prices are pretty good, too, but their shipping charges seem just crazy. Quite how they can charge around double the cost that other vendors do for shipping is beyond me. They make HK shipping charges look very cheap, yet even HK aren't as cheap as some others.

amberwolf said:

like.. receiving a DOA charger and getting no refund, getting a 4A charger that overheats the output ferrite coil after runnung 5 minutes at 4A so I had to tune it down to 3A about a minute away from exploding... or, the best of all, receiving an 83V charger with 63V output cap that exploded within 10 charge cycles. but the BPM motors, controllers and throttles have been great so far.

Jeremy Harris said:
Their prices are pretty good, too, but their shipping charges seem just crazy. Quite how they can charge around double the cost that other vendors do for shipping is beyond me.

THey have learned from watching ebay: many many people on ebay charge very little for an item, but exorbitantly for shipping, and they make a killing on their stuff because of it, since people do not seem to often consider shipping costs until after they have ordered an item. (I hear complaints about that all the time in discussions with people about various online stores).

My older sister once wanted a violin to try getting back into it (she used to play as a child) so we found some on ebay very cheap ones for $40, and knowing they would probably be junk and hardly hold a tuning, thought perhaps to order one, then noticed the shipping was well over $200, plus extra $150 "handling" fees, and other fees only listed in the text of the items and not in any of the ebay-fields on the listing. Would come in at several hundred dollars, for a piece of junk, when a used one at a pawn shop locally would cost the same or less and be a known, testable, and probably good item. The same listing type was used for many musical instruments by many ebay sellers at the time, around late 2005 or so, and one would see sellers vanish as ebay terminated them for complaints and another would just spring right up, usually with the same name but an incremental number after the name. :roll:

Then I started seeing a lot of one-dollar items (actual value usually many times to many hundreds of times that), where shipping would be anything from nearly reasonable to (more often) absolutely insane, like several hundred dollars to ship a camera memory card. :roll: Pretty obvious what they're doing, yet equally obvious that it must be working or so many people would not have followed the "business model".

I'm sure that things are no different now, though I no longer search ebay for much of anything even for friends that can afford it, as it is too full of cheaters liars and buyers are not really protected all that well even if you use paypal, unless you tie your bankcard to paypal so you can use the bank to help you out. Things are probably actually worse with the shipping bit.

Back