E-Bike Grin Acquired - First build pics and info

Lumumba

10 mW
Hello Sphere members!

I just finished installing my new bike and considering I've gotten so much help on this site, thought I would contribute my own build - Black Lightning.

vlZ5A.jpg

TF579.jpg

yRPw0.jpg

NclWm.jpg

7OoWX.jpg

-Bike: 2005 Kona Blast

-Motor / controller: Mac 500W Ebike Kit with high torque motor and 45A, 12 fet Infineon controller

-Battery: Cell_man A123 52V Triangle Pack with bag

-Saddle: ISM Adamo Typhon

-Notes: I still need to get a larger chainring, I was thinking 48T since the 53T would not fit. That thing rubber-banded to the handlebars is a light (the mounting bracket disappeared).

Although I've only had the bike for a day (well, it was finished last night) I am incredibly happy with its performance. I don't yet have a speedometer but I'm sure I'm going over 35 when I max it out (which I don't often do, I want my baby to last!). Also, I cannot recommend Cell_Man enough, he answered the several dozen emails I sent his way promptly, gave me great advice, and took a lot of care in the packaging / shipping of components - very professional, quality service. I also must highly recommend Patrick from San Diego Electric Bikes - there is no way I would have been able to build this bike to his standard of quality myself. To anyone in or around the San Diego area I highly recommend him (http://sdelectricbike.com/).

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions, I'll be taking my baby on a 17 mile ride to work today (34 round trip, I'm bringing the charger).

Cheers,
Liam

Yea, Liam, great feeling to get the first bike built

I did my first build this year too, got it on the road March April time

I have done about 1750 miles on mine since then..I ride it every day. 18 mile round trip to work.

Looks like you have a DNF rear cassette...same as me the 11 34?

If you are going to change the front chain ring...may be easier just to swap the complet crank unit..I had many spare cranks though but I could not easily find a ring to fit the Truvativ crank that i had.

If you can find a 2 ring compact front set from a road bike it will be a good thing, but looking at the angle of the rear derailleur, you may want to find a Mega range unit if yo are going bigger on the front

What are the tyres? I am looking for a new set for my bike...road centre tread with some grip on the edges for when I am off road down the farm

OH BTW...where are you Europe? UK USA? or elsewhere?

edit: bike and battery pack are also incredibly light (but Kona frames are good quality) - if I start the motor in medium speed the front wheel will almost always jump several inches, have not tried this on fast.

@ NeilP: The front tire is a standard hybrid-ish mountain bike. The rear tire I got from Pat, kevlar tire with lining on both the wheel and above the tube - very nice quality and supposed to last forever, 15 bucks.

This is a clean build. And one that performs very well.

Could I do an ebike of the week feature on it?

Got more pics of the battery pack? How about videos of it tearing up trails like a bad ass?

Ah yes, the complete cell_man package :p

Is he selling the bags now, or did you buy it directly from falconEV?

@ neptronix: yep the complete cell package, man am I impressed... I got the bag from cell as well, very, very good quality bag and well worth the 40 I payed for it.

@auraslip: Hah I'm flattered, I'd be happy to send you more pics or videos (when I can upload them) - I have to go to "work" now but can send you some if you pm me later. I'm a bit hesitant of trails (bad for motor / controller / battery health?) but I'll get some video to you when I can, this is for r/ebikes right?

edit: I need to disclose that 99% of the 'clean' handiwork is due to Pat's help at SD electric bikes, if I did this myself it would resemble... well... not sure what but definitely nowhere near the quality build I ended up with - there are so many small details to tweak / adjust to make the final build possible that I did not have the tools or knowledge for.

Nice build, The bike looks really clean.
+1
Got more pics of the battery pack?
The triangle battery pack is one of cell_man new creations but there does not seem to be too many pictures.
please indulge us with some pics.

One more thing maybe someday you can test it going from La Jolla Shores to UCSD it is one of the steepest hills that I always wondered if an ebike can handle it
Or from Torrey pines to Blacks beach another killer hill.
If you do try it make sure you keep an eye on the temperature of the motor and peddle like crazy.

EDIT* What size is that frame?

Quite a seat there dude. That the Ron Jeremy model? I like the seats with a slot, but ahh, don't need such a big one.

I'm quite envious of the complete cellman package. Very nice kit.

Blacks to Torrey pines is quite a steep trail. If you are talking about the one I remember, I can't ever imagine an ebike kit that could climb it. You'd want pinkie for that, and some high laced boots. Even the paved road to Torrey pines is plenty steep. I haven't been to blacks to see the old farts in nothing but a T shirt for many years. Do they have a road down the cliff now?

this is for r/ebikes right?

Yup! Not many readers, but the r/motorcyles people are usually pretty interested and open minded (unlike r/cycling)

Here's the relevant thread http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28346

Videos are cool, just to give an idea of what the bike is capable of. Everyone is always like, "That can't be cool." Until they see a video of it flying down a street :D

@dogman : I decided to purchase a no-pressure saddle after reading this thread:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29466&hilit=sitting+on+your+penis
I settled on an ISM Adamo Typhoon because all the other saddles I researched looked / handled oddly

examples: http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-No-Pressure-Bicycle-Seat/dp/B000DZGLVY http://www.nexride.com/index.html http://www.moonsaddle.com/

The typhoon seemed to offer the performance I would want on a high-powered ebike and looked like a reasonable saddle without crushing my junk. Unfortunately the priced was raised 20 dollars on amazon the day after I decided on it :(

More pictures to come...

More Battery Pics:

ZaLoY.jpg

2VyqE.jpg

HNPkm.jpg

eWiiX.jpg

-I knew the battery would be a tight fit and I'm so glad it did, a few more milimeters and I would have had to find a new way to mount a triangle battery. That being said the battery was just as big as Cell_man told me it would be, and it of course, rocks :twisted:

Edit: I did not take the battery out of the bag because with the tight fitting frame, it is a struggle for one person to get it in just right so the mesh and velcro (insanely strong) are aligned

Edit 2: The battery was shipped with foaming and plastic tightly wound around it, however I had to remove this so the battery could fit in my frame... I hope this doe snot adversely effect battery health (friction from being in frame?)

@Racer_X: Hah funny you mention that, I commuted to college 3x per week for a year from Pacific Beach to UCSD (via la jolla Blvd --> up torrey pines hill), about 12 miles including the bastard Torrey Pines hill. Having ridden this bike (albeit not up huge hills) I have little doubt it could not climb that hill on battery power alone. The rig itself is very very light and the motor very torque-y, I am 170lbs.

so far the saddle has been great, although I've only had a few days on it. It is actually much more comfortable than my previous sit, but that was a POS anyway... it also seems to be of good build quality. The only regret I have is that I did not purchas eit a day earlier for $80 instead of $100. I feel a good saddle is a very worthwhile investment (you're always using it), good for your health, easily replaceable (to a new bike)

Hi Liam,

thanks for your kind words about the kit, glad you are enjoying it. Just got a couple of comments for you:

1. the controller shouldn't be getting so hot, you don't need it out the front like that, it will stay cool on the seatpost or on the downtube, either of these locations means you can minimise cable runs too.
2. If you go out in the rain a lot, facing the controller down is better IMO and keep the worst of the water off it too. I worry that the water could run back down the wires with them facing up like that. I do have plans to improve some details on the controller, but if I waited until I could get everything exactly as I wanted, I'd never have anything to sell. The capacitor bleed resistor has been removed on all these new controllers I supply so you can put a switch on the small red power wire to power down the controllers low power circuit and there will be no drain on the battery. I really want to get some switches sorted, but it will have to wait. At least the 3 speed, cruise button and CA plugs are now fitted.
3. That motor is a 6T, the fastest Mac offers, about the same as the BMC V3, so it's more speed than a torque monster. It wouldn't be the first choice for a great hill climber, but should be fine with some mechanical sympathy. Phase current can get very high at low speeds on a motor like this, plus you've got a 12 fet that outputs 45A plus battery current, over 110A phase current, so it is a combination that could get things rather hot if you are hitting big long hills at full power, I see close to 3KW on a similar setup, that's a lot of power. You could re-program for lower current actually, it's stronger than it needs to be. Pat has a programming cable, tell him to give me a shout if he has any probs with the programming. I've modded those 12 fets to work better with the low turn motors and the software settings are not what you might expect, so give me a shout before changing anything and I can advise.

Thanks
Paul

So I don't yet have a good video of my bike yet (family vacation called) - I will get one up in the next few weeks as soon as I get back. I have taken it on a good long ride from La Jolla to Encinitas, 90-95% battery alone (my center chainring is too small for me to pedal assist at the moment, I have a 48T in the mail however :mrgreen: . I was very impressed with the bike's performance, which exceeded my expectations. The battery seemed to give up to 90% power until the moment it died, 17.3 miles in with an 800 ft. climb in elevation and moderate headwind. I passed many cycle-borgs, met with some "ohh-ahh", some "woah nice!" and a few "that's cheating!". One cyclist I saw having to wait at several stop-lights, he called me a cheater so I told him I should be his pace bike, which he responded "yeah... if you like mopeds", then put on a sour grin (competitive type)- I smoked him when the light turned green and he yelled "that thing has too much jump!".

I biked another 3 miles (much uphill) and damn was that tough, but a good workout. On flats the weight of the motor is much less noticeable esp. when you reach cruising speed. Cannot wait to get back home and do some more biking :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Woohoo thanks for the kind words auraslip - I'm waiting on a speedometer but when it arrives I'll shoot a video and send it your way.

Back