[nearly original] Open Letter to Endless Sphere Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if you put it that way, I do have a piece of advice, which is probably worth exactly as much as the pixels it's made of:

The one thing I do think is that we as a group ought to be a bit less...raunchy about it all. I know how everyone feels, I think, and I'd like to be cussin' a blue streak up about it all, but a civil tone will probably help more than some of the things that have been said, if there is any help for this at all.

Holding one's tongue when angry or upset is the hardest thing to do, but I have had to learn how to do it from years of customer-service and retail jobs, no matter how little fun it might be for me to do so. But it does usually make for a better resolution to things than the responses I'd *like* to make to those that provoke me. ;)

We're mostly mature, generally sensible, and intelligent people, so we ought to be able to work this out semi-peacefully, right?

I'm racing in 24hrs of lemons this weekend, (which is totally awesome).
I only have my phone and very little freetime to post.

We need to put together a mailing group.

I will use one of my sacrificial email addresses (normally just use it for craigslist girls LOL). Luke.hunting (@) gmail (dot) com

I all ready have a pretty big mailing list but not everyone is on it.
If everyone just pings this address, we have the ability to do mass mailing options easier to the group. The list will be mirrored to somebody like Miles or Amberwolf or Bigmoose or someone else who can be trusted never to sell out. Then, we have a way to better coordinate our effrots and keep the community together and make the transition to something new as simple as possible in the event Trevor can't pull his head from his ass and realize his only graceful exit option, (and only method to not watch his forum investment vanish before his eyes is to sell it back to the community. ASAP. Even profit from it! Its not like we can't pull together some cash to buy this forum from you Trevor at more than you paid, but if you wait, you have nothing.

amberwolf said:
Holding one's tongue ...make for a better resolution to things ...so we ought to be able to work this out semi-peacefully, right?

wise words and agreed here.

But I'm all for a bit of raunchy, lol! where is Philistine, anyway?

@trevor
You keep asking about what my intent is. I thought I communicated this with you in my previous posts but I guess it was not clear enough:
- Make sure the server and hardware infrastructure for the community is powerful and the site is as quick as possible.
- Discuss how to setup the forums to keep the discussions more neatly organized
- Upgrade the software running the site to vBulletin
~~~~>- Develop a vendor program so we serve nice look
ing and relevant ads to our viewers (logged in members can turned off the ads at anytime)<--- remove that and you would have been ok. Or if only recommended vendors(from teh membership) were given an advert on the main home page More than that and COMMUNISM ARGHHH!!
- Setup a wiki system to better document systems, components and any other related information about EVs.
- Find ways to give back to the EV community and take care of the members who have contributed to making ES such a great place.

@everyone
has anyone created a current member email address database yet?

You mean like a Schindlers list (or a methods list)?

We need to put together a mailing group.

I will use one of my sacrificial email addresses (normally just use it for craigslist girls LOL). Luke.hunting (@) gmail (dot) com

Awesome idea, email sent. Seems critical to me to have a communication method outside facebook.

where is Philistine, anyway?

I don't even know if Hookers and Blow could make this whole debacle feel better....

OK, I take that back....

we need to make a united stand all at once and have a show of force
i say frock offering to buy this forum this dickhead clearly will not listen
i say cost him as much as possible and start making plans for a new sphere
and not let this happen again
i have seen everything needed offered and the core will donate for our new digs...i know i would
we need a game plan ans soladarity not the same old divide and con

1: I created a google docs e-mail list to let members know when/if we create a new forum. It's on my site here. Joining nep's facebook group will work as well.

2: If it becomes necessary to delete our posts and you won't lets us, we will band together, start a legal fund, and sue to have them removed. Some might not have the resources, but many of us do and together we will crush you.

3: Give us a price. We will come up with the money to match it.

You know the US gov could use alot more of us ES member types. We might be at war with the entire planet as we are so set in our ways but #$%@#$ things would get done!

I see nothing about the forum owning our posts. We need to figure out if we can just hit them with 1000s of DMCA take down requests. Should either waste their time deleting them all, or if he doesn't we can sue the pants off him.

We spent thousands of hours of our time here. Do you think we're going to let you "monetize" our idealistic efforts with out permission via a hostile takeover?

WOW I read whole this thread, Let me introduce myself, My name is Trevor from Dublin, CA and I am deaf guy.

Please don't convert to vBulletin, Cause I used be long time member at http://www.jeepsunlimited.com, They converted to vBulletin forum and started show up all many ads. It really annoyed, It probably benefit for business gets potential more customers coming to their business.

The ES is full of wealthy information that someone like me learned lot so much from many members. Please don't destroy this forum.

I really am sad see this ES going down sour. :( :|

Philistine said:
Awesome idea, email sent. Seems critical to me to have a communication method outside facebook.

I don't even know if Hookers and Blow could make this whole debacle feel better....

OK, I take that back....

hahahaha I love how you don't capitalize a proper noun like facebook, but you carefully capitalize Hookers and Blow.....

Wow, this is really happening .... so sad to see it come to this, but it's for the best, if this is to become the new "V is for Voltage" I'm all for a new home.

Thanks to all of the internet wizards that are making the move possible!

Trevor, I hope it was worth what ever sum you paid, but in the end, looks like you killed the Golden Goose. :!:

jonathanm said:
Philistine said:

OK, I take that back....

hahahaha I love how you don't capitalize a proper noun like facebook, but you carefully capitalize Hookers and Blow.....

To be fair, even facebook doesn't capitalize facebook. But yeah, capitalizing hookers and blow are rarely capitalized. :lol:

@ thewmatusmoloki - I've been out of Hookers and Blow for a LONG time so the hostile take over is just that much worse for me. Like the old Airplane bit, I picked a BAAAD week to give up Hookers and Blow!

Wow...That was an intense reading...I've got 32 posts so more than Trevor, this should allow me to talk here...

Trevor, how much do you want to give Egurus back what belongs to them, that would be great, if you have lot of founds and you can't find a job in your life,
please be an artist.
But let people have back what belongs to them. This is not business, this is Erevolution.
I'll put there 100 bucks to see this done,to help them have back the keys of their house.. My word. You're not going far... the first thing you're going to change and you will see hundreds of birds in the Esky flying in a safer place.
Don't be silly, show us that you really stand behind your words, that you love ES peolpe and Erevolution. Give'em back.

Hmmm... I think my posts are getting deleted or something.

test

test

Don't take my silence as any kind of message. I'm just real busy lately.

I'll do everything in my power (which doesn't seem to be much) to preserve the past posts and keep the forum FREE.

auraslip said:
2: If it becomes necessary to delete our posts and you won't lets us, we will band together, start a legal fund, and sue to have them removed. Some might not have the resources, but many of us do and together we will crush you.

3: Give us a price. We will come up with the money to match it.

#2; get ready to do that sooner than later. see here:

The edit change was something we talked about and ironically while we were discussing it the system was abused and considerable knowledge was lost. Sometimes we have to pick the lesser of two evils when making a decision. In this case the consensus of the team was to protect the knowledge shared (discussions) because considerable damage can and has been done.

^--- andy on his other forum

It sounds like on another forum they took over, people tried to delete their content as well. Then they instituted a rule where you can't delete your content.

I agree - it's too bad that we have to even consider this, but as we have seen, years of history of forum content can be wiped out by an individual who wants to do so in very little time.

^-- there's another quote from that thread.

They are stealing our content; and not giving a damn what we think because it is now their property.

#3, great idea. But i'm on the fence about it. Why give him a refund? starting a new site would cost a lot less money. Let's face it; this one needs some work.

fabiograssi Like It! (thumbs up!)

chroot said:
WOW I read whole this thread, Let me introduce myself, My name is Trevor from Dublin, CA and I am deaf guy.

Please don't convert to vBulletin, Cause I used be long time member at http://www.jeepsunlimited.com, They converted to vBulletin forum and started show up all many ads. It really annoyed, It probably benefit for business gets potential more customers coming to their business.

The ES is full of wealthy information that someone like me learned lot so much from many members. Please don't destroy this forum.

I really am sad see this ES going down sour. :( :|

fechter said:
Hmmm... I think my posts are getting deleted or something.
Not that I can tell, unless someone can do it without it showing up on the forum logs I can see as a mod.

The last post your profile shows actually went thru was around 8am yesterday morning (08-05-11), in this thread, about 14 pages back.

Stuff was definitely edited and put in a different order on the first page. That's when I got the feeling my initial hunch about the future of the forum after reading the "open letter" was probably right.

I can read you Fletcher, all good:)

Hey, I was talking about this situation here with a friend who's a blody lawyer (he's italian he knows about italian laws actually) but he says that in some way who sold the ownership here should have considered this, at least ethically speaking.
I'm not saying nothing but that he said that probaly in some way this "not agreed from members" deal in Italy apparently was not legal. I don't know about I works in US or elsewhere, but this might be related.

From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-emption_right
Pre-emption right
In practice, the most common form of pre-emption right is the right of existing shareholders to acquire new shares issued by a company in a rights issue, a usually but not always public offering. In this context, the pre-emptive right is also called subscription right or subscription privilege.[1] This is the right, but not the obligation, of existing shareholders to buy the new shares before they are offered to the public. In this way, existing shareholders can maintain their proportional ownership of the company, preventing stock dilution.[2] In many jurisdictions, subscription rights are automatically provided for by statute, for example the UK, but in other jurisdictions it only arises if provided for under the constitutional documents of the relevant company, for example the US.

Peace, long life to Erevolution

A "capitalist owner" of others ideas and thoughts always appears a really bad idea for me.

I don't know what is the real intention of this people/company, who is buying/taking the admin of various forums, but what I know is what I see, and I'm far from confortable with the attitudes they are taking in others forum.

Just a thought: we already have a "configured" and "official" fund. I understand we are the great majority here. I'm a lawyer in Brazil. I don't know the common law system, but I think that we can fight for the "mental content" here continue free, public and "non commercial", without the takeover we are living now. Maybe some lawyer member can explain us some point of view. But I always try to run away from a legal fight, so...

With this fund, we can start a new story, obviously preserving as much material as we can...

Am I with crazy things in my mind?

- Fabio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back