A Summary Letter for the ES Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an appreciative member and a very small fish, maybe more like plankton, in the soup of dedicated electrical genius and visionaries, I am grateful that ES is still as it was (an enthusiasts site) and not "monetized" into just another website full of ads for crap that we do NOT want. I would be happy :D as a member to donate to the cause, when the "ES fund" is set up

methods said:
number1cruncher said:
liveforphysics said:
Nope. More patents will only mean more corruption, more lawyers getting a payday and more lawyers being created looking for new arteries to vampire dry.

That may be so, but I trust my grandfather's wisdom more than anyone on this board. He was a electrical engineer, patent attorney and patent judge, who spent many years at the PTO. He always advocated for a first to file system, because it would reduce bureaucracy and increase innovation. God rest his soul!

Right - your grandfather is a smart man because he is one of the lawyers making money off of inventors patents. I would trust his wisdom too. :)

-methods

Methods

There are two type of financial people in this world, generous and greedy. My grandfather was more generous than most people I know. Sort of in the ranks of Justin. My grandfather could have easily made a lot of money from his position, but did not, except for his GOVERNMENT salary and pension. He would get calls daily after retirement asking for him to consult on bahalf of various corps for >$200hr...In the 80's. He declined every time. It would have got in the way of his case of beer a day habit. To his credit, he only drank half of each can, because he despised warm beer. And, this habit did not begin until after retirement. :wink: He gave the majority of his money to the church when he died.

BTW - He also worked at White Sands to protect this country, so all you inventors could get scammed by them nasty patent attorney's. :roll: If you Google his name Stephen W Capelli and Laser, he was intrigral to the first laser patent. He also judged Univac, the first color televisions, etc...

I guess we could eliminate the patent process and not protect anyone's patents. Let the inventors deal with that detail.

However, if anyone is having trouble with a patent, PM me and I can try to set you up with people inside the machine. I still have a few high up connections in the Chemical and Electrical divisions. Mechanical not so much...but I could try.

Tiberius said:
I thought we already had a first to file system, at least over here. If there is no public disclosure then it's the date of filing that's important.

When I was employed, many years ago, employers would pick up the tab for a patent application. But working for myself, I soon realised the expense and hassle involved. I had a meeting with a patent agent once, and to be honest, it was exactly like dealing with a lawyer and exactly not like dealing with an engineer.

What I've done instead, quite a few times, is to file an initial application myself. That gives me a breathing space (a year in the UK system) but at the expense of public disclosure, and sets a filing date.

Sometimes the issue when you come up with an idea is just to stop someone else patenting it against you, and to make sure you get the kudos. In that case, publishing the idea is a good route, and that's one of the services that ES can provide. I can just see patent lawyers of the future reading the ES archives - at someone else's expense of course.

Nick

This is another reason the US needs to change its patent process, to align itself with the rest of the world.

Justin, Methods, etc -

As you all know I have been worried for quite some time about the future of ES and am more than glad to see it's looking like were moving toward "member managed and owned" model (my extrapolation from all the various posts on this thread).

I've already privately and publically offered to "pony up" with funding this site and the bandwidth required, offer is still valid.

Finally in preparation for leaving the sinking ship I've registered the following domains which I felt best encompassed the "nature" of Endless-Sphere (more or less) -I would like to now forward these domains to endless-sphere.com since it seems we don't need to depart endless-sphere

everythingev.net
everythingev.org
eveverything.com
eveverything.net

Anything else I can offer (database hosting, backup, mirroring, etc) - you guys know how to reach me :)

Regards,
Mike Keefer
mwkeefer@gmail.com

PS: Welcome back Jeremy Harris, it's great to have you back among us (and still hopefully enjoying your retirement, premature as it may have been) !

Thanks Justin,

You are a good guy, I have a lot of respect for you and how you conduct yourself, what you've achieved and how you are continually a positive influence in the Electric Revolution. Next time you are over in Shanghai to visit Mr. Ching, I'd love to meet up with you and shout you a few beers if you have some free time.

Many Thanks
Paul

number1cruncher said:
They are soon changing the patent laws in the US to be first to submit is the winner. No longer will there be the burden of proof that someone created something first, what a headache. This will extremely speed up the innovations of this country, since litigation will be cut short.

If they are changing the rules you can bet your ass that the result will not be to the benefit of the little guy.

The person with the idea first shouldn't get the patent ... why not? Just so the lawyers don't get the money or it cuts down on litigation? Seems like cut off nose to spite face. Gee ... file first, why not? Sounds fair to me ... that it's not the person who perhaps originated and possibly developed the idea, and spent a lot of time and money doing it, but rather the first person who files. Wow, that should really be great for innovation and it sounds so very fair.

So here's an even better idea. Do away with patents altogether. May the best and strongest competitor with the most muscle win. After all competition is good for business right? Yup, I agree, it's never for the little guy.

Gary

Justin,

Thank you, you may not even be aware of how your manner and good stance spread out amongst others. I got a deal from someone who has known you in your life and was "paying it forward" and doing the honourable thing, when he could have gone back on his word. The item I got, in that deal he gave to me, is now something I'm in the process of selling. I'm not taking a profit for it and I could. I want the beloved item to go to someone who will treasure it and care for it. I want to "pay it forward". You see, it spreads out. The generosity and attitude you have is a model for others and it goes out into the world. The seeds you have planted are out there in real people, who pass it on to others.

Thank you,

Gary

Thanks for putting posts of recent events here > The Biker Bar > ES Politics and Future
marty said:
justin_le said:
x this post here
replaces a 28 page thread x
Please don't delete all those topics that were created between August 4th and today.
Please don't erase history. We need to pay attention to what happened in the past so that it don't happen in the future. Lock the posts. Put them back in the General Discussion area to get buried if you like, but please don't erase what people spent many hours typing.

I've been too busy to lurk, and was unaware of the disquiet earlier this month.
I'm glad that I missed it, as I don't like getting my panties in wad.
My thanks go to whomever was heroic.
I'll go back to my cave now.

I'd buy an ES shirt if it looked good. Or if it didn't...

Also stickers would be cool to put on my controllers.

And official ES handle bar grips...

Really, just about any ebike accessory. Lots of options to donate with out having to feel like it's charity, if that matters to some people.

marty said:
Thanks for putting posts of recent events here > The Biker Bar > ES Politics and Future
marty said:
justin_le said:
x this post here
replaces a 28 page thread x
Please don't delete all those topics that were created between August 4th and today.
Please don't erase history. We need to pay attention to what happened in the past so that it don't happen in the future. Lock the posts. Put them back in the General Discussion area to get buried if you like, but please don't erase what people spent many hours typing.
Bummer, it's all missing a few hours later :?: :shock: :?

did anyone copy those topics ? can we just create a seperate BB and post them there ? maybe some advice from our new "owner" ? or at least some explanation of what's going on ? i realize that justin might be prevented somehow from reposting the previous material, as part of a purchase agreement, but that shouldn't preclude US from doing so.

Ypedal said:
The threads were moved to public area but had to be moved back to the mod section for a bit until a few finer details are ironed out... they will be moved back shortly.. 8)

Yes indeed, YPedal is correct, and sorry everyone about the topic move and return without explanation. I had to leave to tend other things before getting a chance to post what had gone on. I know it probably looked pretty clumsy, but we'll get this sorted out soon. That one was my bad! -Justin

Like Jeremy Harris I've been busy doing green building and not geeking about EVs much - it soaks up a monstrous amount of time (I'm suspecting you are JSHarris on GBF), I've also been on a caving expedition so missed all the excitement.

Anyway, just to say I second everything JH wrote. The free exchange of information is vital, without access costs or commercial interference. I'm not surprised to see lots of people here understanding the importance of that, and taking action accordingly. I've donated before and will do it again if needed - this is a valuable resource. Do we have a licence under which all this content falls? Might be a good idea to specify one if not, to ensure dissemination and prevent corporate capture. Relying on the goodwill of individuals (or companies) can, and does, go wrong.

There's only ONE BANNER I'd like to see on ES ....

www.ebikes.ca

8)

Knuckles said:
There's only ONE BANNER I'd like to see on ES ....

www.ebikes.ca

8)

Wow, first Link, shows up now Knuckles! Nice to see you man!

It's like reunion day on Endless-Sphere. Who know's, maybe next we'll see xyster's eloquent prose, or rDdraper's hostile ravings about how hubbie's suck and chain drive rules. :lol:

-JD

hey, don't leave out reid, safe & jack rickard.
and then there's morph...(then there's morph).
enterprizin, hypnotizin, socializin right on morph.
that would make this the most wunnerfullest xmas ever!
ok, maybe not safe.

actually wouldn't mind it at all if some of the other gurus & the many, many moderators (other than the couple/3 workhorses) would drop by sometime.
Lowell, you out there dude?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back