Still going very slowly, though now that I am not worrying about chaindrive motor and all, it is easier to figure stuff out.
I was pondering the steering, which originally was to have a headtube off another bike welded onto a seatpost, then installed into the Trek seattube. A steerer tube off the same bike's fork would've gone in that, with it's bottom end where the crown used to be having a plate pointing to the left for the tie-rod to bolt to.
I was digging thru my stuff for suitable seatposts and whatnot, when I found some really long ones that have a clamp on the top end that looks just like the ones for handlebar stems...so I thought, why not use that in the seattube with some thin tough plastic (nylon or teflon) around it to act as a bushing,
and just clamp the bars in it. Simplifies things a lot, at least for now. The plastic itself is from one of those retail-store product "clip strips", in thsi case from some 3M/Scotch pet-hair-pickup-rollers.
With this in place, the bike now looks kinda like this from the side, where the long angled rod in the front represents the steering tie-rod.
and this is from over the seat from behind:
Using the stem I had intended for the bars themselves as the pusher/mount for the tie-rod simplifies that, too.
It's not ideal nor permanent, but it is a quick fix till I have time for the permanent steering solution, and lets me experiment a bit.
Originally I was going to use some 10spd dropbars in the front as a place to mount stuff to, and put a big curved number plate across.
It also might help keep some stuff from getting trashed if I slide out again this year.
But it's kinda big, so I'm not sure I'll do it. I might instead do this:
where the stem in front no longer has the bars in it, and instead has a single arm off some old steel caliper brakes bolted into it at the arm's pivot hole. The bushing in the tie-rod will bolt to the end of the arm where the pad used to bolt on.
In other news, I was taking some chains off junk bikes I'm disassembling for parts, so I can get enough reasonably-matching chain to make the very long pedal chain I'll have on this, and broke the pin on the Sunrise breaker the second link I used it on.
I'm not sure if it's just me using it wrong (there are no instructions anywhere, not even on the web that I can find) or if it's really just not made well. It has one more normal pin/screw left, but that one might be larger diameter than the bike chain pins (it is meant for many sizes of chain), so I ahve to check before I try it. Then it also has a spring-loaded pin but that one barely sticks out at all, and coudl not be used to take a chain apart, even the tiny types of chain. Not sure what it is meant for.
Unfortunately my really good chaintool was lost wtih my toolbag, and that's another piece I can't afford to replace yet. Maybe 2nd paycheck after this one (since this one will be short due to taking days off for the race and stuff). So hopefully I'll figure out how to use this one correctly, or I won't be able to even put a chain on here at all (unless I just use a hammer and torx bit to take pins out, and vise-grips to put them in, which sometimes works without damaging the links).
Now that I probably have to use a hubmotor instead of disc brakes, I think I have a way to add the disc-brake caliper mount to the back of the Manitou fork:
The leg on the left is off a wrecked RST Omni 191 fork that had the right leg trashed in whatever wreck destroyed the bike it was from. If I cut the back 1/4 of the leg off, I have essentially a flat (slightly curved) plate with the disc caliper mounts on it. If I then weld that to a thicker flat plate of steel, I can drill holes in it that match the ones on the Manitou fork (on the right in the pic).
The hard part will be aligning it all so the caliper can work on the brake disc, while still fitting between the holes on the back of teh fork. If I bolt the caliper to the adapter, then clamp the caliper on the disc with the wheel mounted, I can play with mounting options and positions to see which one will work, hopefully.
Anyway, that's for later, as I don't have a disc large enough to just bolt to the side cover of the 9C hub (currently on CrazyBike2), as it would have to have the braking surface completely outside the 9C itself, about even with the spoke flanges. (since it isn't designed for disc, and I'd be just bolting directly to the side cover, maybe with some spacers, there's not enough room for the calipers to clear and still ahve the disc also clear the forks, AFAICS).