well, some good and some potentially bad today. Went for a proper ride, and after there was definatly more of an egrin than an esmile. turns out that the other day I made a stupid mistage on my first ride... I had the 3 way switch set to low power! no wonder it felt a bit sad. Things were much better later yesterday/early today, though I still think ill be upping the watts pretty soon. for today I was limiting the current via the ca to just 25a, partly to go easy on the new lipo and partly to get a feel for how hot a stock ht will get when pushed at that rate up a bunch of hills.
The short of it is it went really well! at worst the motor was only warm to the touch, as were the phase wires and the controller. I guess 25a is pretty safe since I pushed it up some ~500m hills that were probably around a 10% or more grade.
luckily, yesterday the CA WAS reading the amps at about double what they should be, and after about 10 min messing round with a multimeter Ive got the Volts displaying correctly too to within about 200mv.
Ive gone and cleaned up the wires and batt cases too, so they look a bit more stealthy and tidy as apposed to cheap and nasty. pics coming soon, just cant really be assed atm since its the end of a long day of study and working on the bike.however...
A strange issue did arrise when I went to charge up the pack tonight though... My setup is that I basically charge the 8 5s packs that I have as one giant 5s 40ah pack. I was charging at 35amps, but after happily pumping in ~25 ahs the charger showed that the IR of the cells had jumped dramatically, from about .3mohms to about 3mohms
the charger entered safe charge mode where it was only pushing in .5A. I stoped everthing, unpluged all the packs and checked the individual cells after a 5min wait, they were all perfectly balanced (as you'd expect) and seemed fine (still all at room temp, no signs of puff or anything else dangerous)...
So i figured try reconnecting and start again, and from that point on everything was fine. Cells mesured the same IR as before the spike, and happily accepted 5, 10, 15 and eventually 20 amps untill they got to 4.1v, (where I set the cuttoff too)
Heres some pics for those of you with more lipo experience to see if you can desipher what happened. My only guess is a loose connection somewhere that caused the charger to freak out (and rightly so). My only other thought is that I was charging outside, where it was pretty cold (got down to 10deg by the time i finished charging) not sure if that could cause issues either. all seems fine for now, will check 'em again in the morn to make sure i dont have a dud pack.