semi-serious 20inch racing build

What voltage are you running now ?? That controller says 2-7 series voltage. I've been charging-sorting soldering into bunches, NiCd for the past 2 days. Yeah, old technology, but, ya uses what ya gots. I can't figure max voltage on that HK controller.

I want to get started on the altermotor. You messed with one of those also, correct ?? I got 2 coils of magnet wire in my crate the other day, so, might even take a stab at rewinding the Altermotor.

I have to watch your latest video. The other one was pretty good, even in the rain. :lol: :lol:

bzhwindtalker said:
I think that the hobbyking SS-190/200 is worth something in our applications, it handle some serious power nicely! Quite cheap too, 25euros delivered. The drawback is that you have to stick with low voltage, but that makes gearing and battery balancing easy! I only have 1hour of run time on it, so i may be a little optimistic ;)

Is this the type of ESC your using?
HK-SS200ALV.jpg

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=14500

Im wondering (should I go RC on my next motor buy) would one of these work with an Turnigy 80-100-B 130Kv Brushless Outrunner?

Regards
Tom

Yeah thats the one, I'm using it on 20v (6s a123) it may be more suited to 65mm motors than those big boys motors, but does the job and holds without overheating too much!

Awesome bike! Definately looks capable of holding up to race conditions.

I'm surprised that ESC is holding up for you though. Are you really nice to it on take-off?

Yeah I'm surprised too, but I'm not so gentle on the throttle, especially off-road. The belt slipping is really keeping the amps low though, I'm not as confidant in the controller keeping up with a chain drive, even if someone on the forum saw some peaks of 240 amps on this unit!

Hmm, I really think most of the problems with these cheaper controllers is simply the single speed thing. If you run through gears I think they would be fine, I can't even get my motor to pull the 45A I have my controller set to until I am in like third gear! But it still rips up there though! There is just not enough load to make it pull that much I think...

Being I'm a complete dufus as far as electronics go, Is there a way to beef up the components on that HK controller ?? It's done on the larger controllers all the time ???

Watched that second video, BZ. Nice trail ride. Good job on the bike. I made some good progress on the motorcycle trans conversion, today. Probably should start a thread on my EBike build, as slow as it will be to get finished. :roll: :roll:

Thanks Harold, but I think thats all the bike will do before some time :(
I was taking it apart for a complete dark Grey paint job, when I saw that the rear sing arm was quite a bit bent :x
I think jumping was too much for the extended wheel base on this bike, even with me being 65kg. So now I think my options are either to build a new complete rear suspension system, or bend it back and forget jumping and off road riding, such a shame with the nice trails just by my house... I could also start a complete custom build, but this would take some time and keep me from riding for at least a month :cry:
Buying a complete new frame is also more or less out of question, as I really like my bike low and long in the rear, seems like the thing for handling and putting power to the ground!
Anyway this is really disappointing, this thing was working so well!

Okay I found an easy and forward-going way to get this back on the road. I just need some 5mm aluminum plates that I will rivet and bolt to the original frame,extending it in the rear and creating space for battery inside and above the top tube. It wont be really wide but will fit some 6s lipo. I will also need to build another swing arm, probably out of mild steel that I can weld at home (I'm quite good with a sick welder ;) ). This frame will be really strong and rigid, but will have a "direct" suspension rather than 4link on the back. The motor will also be on the rear swing arm. Now I just need to order the right amount of aluminum, after making a coroplast mock up to be sure everything fit :roll:
View attachment 1

Hmm, Cool idea! I think if you get the right thickness aluminum it will be very strong and still fairly lightweight. You can een cut some of the plate out where its not needed to hold the battery or suspension and lighten it up a bit...

bzhwindtalker said:
I was taking it apart for a complete dark Grey paint job, when I saw that the rear sing arm was quite a bit bent :x
I think jumping was too much for the extended wheel base on this bike, even with me being 65kg. So now I think my options are either to build a new complete rear suspension system, or bend it back and forget jumping and off road riding, such a shame with the nice trails just by my house... I could also start a complete custom build, but this would take some time and keep me from riding for at least a month :cry:
Buying a complete new frame is also more or less out of question, as I really like my bike low and long in the rear, seems like the thing for handling and putting power to the ground!
Anyway this is really disappointing, this thing was working so well!

Hmm, let me ask my previous question in more detail. I can see a pivot where the arrow is pointing, but is there an additional pivot somewhere inside the circle?
pivot.jpg

I'm not 100% on the forces involved, but would a strut between the upper and lower (attached to the swingarm) pivots help with the bending?

Well, actually this is 4link suspention design, so there is a lot of pivots evrywhere lol
I will chop a picture to show how it works!
BTW I made a new swingarm, pictures later as i'm out of internet! I also got a DH fork, so I may need to redo my frame as the bb is way too high now, and the forks angle too much forward... so custom frame next :p

Last vid with footage from before the swingarm bent, riding the trails around my house! Belt was slipping a lot, I could not put full power witout some heavy slip!
[youtube]8CJFcTpLDlo[/youtube]
I ordered a 20mm front hub to match the forks, I will have to lace it before being able to test the bike in its new configuration.

...wich looks like that! I don't like how high is the BB, it sits at 40 cm under suspention sag, 45 cm resting. I will test the bike like that and see if it performs nicely! otherwise I would need to build a custom frame, not that I dont want to do so, but I want to ride while my playground isnt all muddy!!

Attachments

• new drive.JPG
    new drive.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 2,463
  • new forks.JPG
    new forks.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 2,463
  • new shock.JPG
    new shock.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 2,463
  • side.JPG
    side.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 2,463
That's a sick looking bike now buddy excellent job on the new swing arm!....now, about that Girvin fork your no longer using, I been chasing one for a couple of years now, any chance yours is forsake if so at what cost?

KiM

NOW I am diggin it! MUCH better design IMO I like the look better too! I am guessing you will just put a fixed rod in where the shock used to go? Very cool!

I tested the bike with the chain drive and a crappy RST forks, the rear suspention is really nice! I also laced the 20mm hub and tested the new rockshock, its da bomb!
The bike is now geared too low, it maxxes out at only 35 k :x I thought I got the gearing pretty similar to the belt drive but it seems that it's not the case... Time to put some sensors in here! I have a generic 48v 12 fet and 72v 15fet around, I need to get seriously into sensors.

This frame is giving me a lot of trouble (especially the shock mounting point), its time to set-up something nicer... My first idea is to chop the frame and reuse the bb section, the head-tube and the seat tube to make a new monocoque composite frame, I need to investigate this. I could also machine or chop of a bike a bottom bracket and a head tube, and make a steel/alu frame a la stealth, anybody has some clues about where to find BB shells and machined head tubes over the internet?

Kim, the Grivin forks are pretty much ruined as I drilled crappy holes on the back of the left leg to pop rivet a calliper mount. They where already pretty much beaten anyway when I found them... I can see how much shipping would be and if its cheap we could arrange something!

Anyway, I dont like when things are holding me back that much, I want this thing to ROCK!

Adam

Re:Girvin Fork....the only parts i'm wanting are the tops, I don't need the actual fork legs I would make my own to the length required matey, all the moving parts to of the forks and the shock is what i'm chasing if you would be willing to let them go I would definitely be interested..i'm in Perth Western Australia post code/zip code 6076... Appreciate it mate, I would love a set on my 2speed cruiser to give it even more "unique" look lol..

With your fabrication skillz...I would cast my vote for the monocoque composite frame buddy, you could rip that shit up piece of Piss, thus getting EXACTLY the frame your after, and yeeees, make a while lot more ES members jealous Hahahaha..:)

Best of luck mate, no hurry on checking into postage etc etc whenever you get the time my friend, thanks again :)

KiM

Hey all! Small update on this, i found a way to make the bike frame work for a while before i really take the pluge and make my own frame. I cut some forged alloy cranks, that I will use as supports for the shock. They will be epoxied in place and hold the forces with carbon strands warped around. It will work, because it already does using old 250kg kite lines and no resin (even jumping pretty hard) .

Sorry Kim I did not have time to check shipping for the grivin, will do that next week!

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 2,793
HUH, I would never have tried that, but some epoxy is VERY strong so I don't doubt it will hold for a while, but I would be leery of using it long term as it might stress crack over time...

Back