Electra-punk

this video is private.

Nice work ... On my recent trip across the USA to pick up a Meyers Towdster ... I stopped to visit the evtv.me guys .... He let me drive the Electric Porsche 550 Spyder ..... IT was AWESOME ! Have a look see. Harley aka emoped

Just keep in lookout for cracks forming on that SS frame. It doesn't tend to lend its self well as frame building material. You might get away with it for a while. That's why you don't see to many ss frame bikes around other than the weight.

Kurt

sorry vid now works.....

Kurt said:
Just keep in lookout for cracks forming on that SS frame. It doesn't tend to lend its self well as frame building material. You might get away with it for a while. That's why you don't see to many ss frame bikes around other than the weight.

Kurt

I would be more worried about it if there was an ICE in it(vibration), or if it were to be used off road. Unless some serious hefty rider got on it and found some decent pot holes to run through I think its well and truely overbuilt for its application. Ti suffers from heat effected brittle zones just as much as 300's grade stainless, so I think the primary reason not many frames are made of SS is the weight/cost compared to chromo. Time will tell anyway, I might be eating my words in a few weeks time.....if that is the case it will be remade completely from aluminium, and the box welded to the frame.

I have not had alot of time to work on it this week.....I did change a friends bike over to some sweet Bus bar inspired by AJs bike.

f28634b2.jpg

43cd67f8.jpg

and heres a pic to give an idea on the bars that I will use....
313f7136.jpg

Im at the end of my days off now, hopefully next week I will get the crankset on and make the bike push pedal'able. Box mounted, and cover made for its window (once cut). And most of the electics mounted inside of the box. Maybe even the forks if I'm not too busy.

Cheers

rodgah said:

WOW
that looks tidy! makes my wiring look like a loom of S#!T. Cant wait to get the time to put together a new bat case, so I can make mine look like that.
Do you need to reconfig for charging?

sn0wchyld said:

nope....the db25 connector at the bottom has all 12s cells or 14 pins for balancing and the remaining pins share (-) and (+)....5 each. This is not a new technique, I am copying what alot of people have already done, and it is a neat solution to balance charging lipo.

dont worry, i think everyones first attempt looks terrible, mine looked like abortions thats for sure, but the more times you do it, the more you get a feel for how to make it neater and simpler.

cheers

rodgah said:
sn0wchyld said:

nope....the db25 connector at the bottom has all 12s cells or 14 pins for balancing and the remaining pins share (-) and (+)....5 each. This is not a new technique, I am copying what alot of people have already done, and it is a neat solution to balance charging lipo.

dont worry, i think everyones first attempt looks terrible, mine looked like abortions thats for sure, but the more times you do it, the more you get a feel for how to make it neater and simpler.

cheers
I think I might be doing something similar already, only I still use the discharge leads for charging too, rather than through the db25. I still have to reconfig as my charger only manages 8s charging, and im running 20s. Using the spare pins for the main leads is a good idea, but how many amps can the pins take? Im charging at 30-40A, so not sure they'll take that...

rodgah

The bike looks amazing. I like the battery box. Looks very similar to what I am doing. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all fits together.

Clay

Ok time for an update.....

-I have mounted the box and cut the window
-had the BB welded to the brackets
-received the order from Matt.S
-made the battery mount.

Things i have left to do....

-go and pick up the box lid/cover and mount it using m6 nutserts
-buy chains
-modify rear brake caliper mount to allow the caliper to move over and slot over the disc
-pick up the new front fork stanchions
-assemble and mount drive
-wire everything up

The sprocket adaptor that Matt machined fits perfectly....has enough space for the caliper to sit in beside the sprocket. Unfortunately choppersUS hubs are a little oversize, so I threw the adapter on the lathe and opened it up a fraction to accept the hub.

de44edd5.jpg

spacing....
0179a994.jpg

The rest of the pictures are at the start of the thread as usual.

Cheers

Subscribed. I'm amazed at the skill and effort you put into this build. Is this a common trait among downunder's members? More pictures please.

One question: Since you were building from scratch, why didn't you make the battery box part of the frame?

SamTexas said:
Subscribed. I'm amazed at the skill and effort you put into this build. Is this a common trait among downunder's members? More pictures please.

One question: Since you were building from scratch, why didn't you make the battery box part of the frame?
++

thanks, I think its just because we are all anal f**ks and like to be perfect

weight/design.....

assuming it were made out of 0.9mm ally like originally planned it would of been lighter(though in retrospect it would of been easier to have it laser cut in SS and welded to the frame). And besides I love the contrast between stainless steel and machined/polished aluminum(it is going to be polished, just waiting to be finished handling it before I go finishing it). And trying to replicate / redesign a vintage ICE bike to some degree requires something that looks similar to a fuel tank.

I have not had alot of progress this week, still waiting on chains, new drive mounts (the originals were too short). I am having a crack at the wiring....probably 50% done, and hobbyking have held an order of mine containing cable sheath that I want to use to complete this bike because it went into backorder as I ordered it :x . Might be going before Christmas lol .

I did shave the brake caliper mount though so I have functional rear brakes :wink:

Cheers

Absolute work of art, one of the very best builds on the Sphere in my opinion! I love the detail work and the simplicity of the look! You are one hell of a craftsman! :shock:

doc007 said:
that is a sweet build! it looks like you are running a floating disc brake. when you get a chance can you show some more pics of it?
its a hope mono floating disc. Plenty of members on this forum use them....
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16457

Bike is now running, I got the forks, new motor plates, chains, mounted everything up. Goes like a dream, so smooth and stable. If I really nail it, the hv160 hits its current limiting, I may adjust the clutch so this doesnt happen or up the current limit. No wheelies but it takes off like a rocket, pulls some weird looks while I'm riding along with traffic thats for sure :lol: .

Few pics added, one of the finished forkleg and one of the new mounts for the drive. Im still waiting on the lid for the box and also some quick release screws from pro-bolt ......

qrpackslide17b.jpg

And I still have to disassemble it and finish off all the parts removing all the sweaty hand prints and weld splatter......adding some loops to the frame and fork too to tie the cables to.

Ill post some final pictures and videos once this is all sorted.

Cheers

pics added of the box lid and the cable tie points on the frame. I have cleaned/refinished all of the frame and box for final assembly, even painted the BB tube since rust doesnt really suit it :wink: .

Waiting on some goodies from Matt/Recumpence and she will be finished :D :D

On a side note, my welder friend is making a duplicate of this frame only a fraction heavier. He wants BIG power.....biggest you would seriously throw in it. I said OK AGNI 95R it is :lol: :lol: . He wants to use speedway solo bike wheels (nice and light) and no pedals just pegs. Throw in a butt load of lipo and I'm sure it will have some poke.

Rodger

Cool!

Your box shipped out yesterday "Express Mail". It is guaranteed to be there next Tuesday. :)

Make sure you get a build thread started on that Agni bike. I am interested in seeing that too!

Matt

Amazing work Rodgah! Is the slipper clutch engaging at all as far as you can tell? Have you tried "locking it out" to see the difference? I would like to see a pic with you on it just to get a size comparison.

+1 on Agni bike pics!

Omg, that thing is gorgeous. I'm really interested in people who are bringing art together with ebike technology. We're lacking design. Fantastic work.

Back