Rochester Institute of Technology-Electric Drag Race

grindz145

1 MW
Title says it all, BUT you have to be a student.

Any takers?

http://www.rit.edu/news/story.php?id=48678

I fully intend to take this one home (since I'm a part-time grad student WIN). Still trying to decide on approach though... :twisted: :twisted:

EDIT: Did I mention $1000 prize purse, or a banjo.....:D

This is taking place on campus and not on a track!? Seems very dangerous, as the speed will be very high. Anyway, it doesn't say a driver is required, just that drivers must wear helmets. So build an electric R/C car, and pilot it (while wearing a helmet) down the 1/4 mile.

grindz145 said:
Did I mention $1000 prize purse, or a banjo.....:D

Is that an electric banjo? Lithium pack or? Or suitable for a conversion maybe?
:wink:

G'Luck if you race!
1oCK

Lock said:
grindz145 said:
Did I mention $1000 prize purse, or a banjo.....:D

Is that an electric banjo? Lithium pack or? Or suitable for a conversion maybe?
:wink:

G'Luck if you race!
1oCK

ROFL

itchynackers said:
This is taking place on campus and not on a track!? Seems very dangerous, as the speed will be very high. Anyway, it doesn't say a driver is required, just that drivers must wear helmets. So build an electric R/C car, and pilot it (while wearing a helmet) down the 1/4 mile.

Very good catch on the rules....

Honestly, I don't think they are expecting the power I'm planning on for this event.

I think they're planning on a bunch of electric go carts and quasi fast ebikes. Not sure though. I just pinged one of the guys on the ebike team at RIT to see if he has any more info.

I didn't even see the rules okay here they are:

Official Rules

The race is open to RIT students, faculty, and staff (individuals or teams).
Entrants will design and construct an all-electric powered vehicle.
Vehicles may not be constructed from a commercial vehicle.
Entrants will take part in a performance test (“drag race”) on the Quarter Mile. The starting line will be at the sundial near the residence halls. The finish line will be the end of the Quarter Mile where the wall of Clark Gym ends and opens into the SAU courtyard. (see map) Total distance = ¼ mile (402 m)
Vehicles will run the track one at a time.
The race will be begun from a standing start.
The winning entrant will be the vehicle that completes the ¼ mile performance test in the fastest time.
If there is a tie between two or more vehicle’s times, each vehicle will run a second trial to determine the winner.
The event will take place rain or shine.
The event will begin promptly at 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 5, 2012 to conclude prior to the Opening Ceremony near the Sentinel at 10:00 a.m. where the winner of the performance test will be announced.
All entrants must present a poster display of their vehicle specifications and design elements.
All entrants will exhibit their vehicles and poster displays at the west end of the Gordon Field House at the conclusion of the performance test and Opening Ceremony.
Additional details
Teams are responsible for obtaining their own funding.
Vehicle drivers are required to wear a helmet.
1st Prize: $1000 or a banjo from Dr. Destler’s collection.
The 2nd place winner will be awarded the prize that is not selected by the 1st place winner.
View the map of the racing location.

So I'm wondering: What does "cannot be constructed from a commercial vehicle" mean? Does that mean I can't use a commercial bicycle as the frame? Hmmm thats pretty gray.

grindz145 said:
Entrants will design and construct an all-electric powered vehicle.
Vehicles may not be constructed from a commercial vehicle.
So I'm wondering: What does "cannot be constructed from a commercial vehicle" mean? Does that mean I can't use a commercial bicycle as the frame? Hmmm thats pretty gray.
Also sounds like human power can not be used to augment electric power (NO pedaling).

Yeah, it definitely sounds like you are going to have to build your own frame. Just rattle can the whole thing black and say that you welded up the frame yourself. :lol:
Drag racing rain or shine? They definitely are not planning on anyone showing up with any serious power. Make a power limiting switch just in case you need to do wet runs.

So, fully faired recumbent? Good brakes, maybe a `shute?

Lock said:
maybe a `shute?

haha yup, considering they don't leave much runway there. They are not intending to have serious power... I will show them... bwahahaha.

This gives me a great excuse to build that 30s pack...

Just get a Batman grappling hook and line, then throw it at the last pole after the finish line. :lol: On second thought, you might want that to be a bungee line. :shock:

Wow, what a nightmare...
GV_Map.png

How are you going to slow down from (60? 100?)mph with no runout?

And yes, you should get clarification on whether or not the driver must ride in the vehicle :)

I'm building a 2 wheeler unless they have rules against it. I hate those good recumbent things...

dennyt said:
How are you going to slow down from (60? 100?)mph with no runout?

And yes, you should get clarification on whether or not the driver must ride in the vehicle :)

It's hard to tell in the map, but there is definitely runout.

No doubt they will end up with some rediculously fast machines without power limits though... Hopefully they don't find this out until the morning of the event :twisted:

Wow.

Sounds like a drag race setup by folks who have never drag raced or even seen a drag race before. lol :) That is extremely dangerous to not have at least an 1/8th mile of totally open braking zone for a drag race. Looks like if they could run the track backwards it would make the event a whole lot safer. (but I've never been there, just looking at that map).

Fairings won't matter in this, drag racing is ALL about what happens in the first section of the track.

You need something that has a sick hole-shot. I wish you could use my last race bike for it, you would be trapping over 100mph, and 0-60mph faster than most sportbikes.

OK. Read the rules... Looks like we're going ultra-light. Electric motor and batt pack as a winch like the steam catapult on an aircraft carrier... You'll need to erect a safety net at the end of the course to catch the missile...errr electric vehicle. Proper shape of drum on high speed winch should bring on G forces gradually... errr... hopefully. Probably should just go with a professional guinea pi... errr driver. Again, Good Luck!

l0cK

liveforphysics said:
I wish you could use my last race bike for it, you would be trapping over 100mph, and 0-60mph faster than most sportbikes.

First thing that came to mind. I might be building something that will also serve my needs after the race too, so it might be a bit different. I'm on the fence about 2wd 5304s or Agni....

grindz145 said:
liveforphysics said:
I wish you could use my last race bike for it, you would be trapping over 100mph, and 0-60mph faster than most sportbikes.

First thing that came to mind. I might be building something that will also serve my needs after the race too, so it might be a bit different. I'm on the fence about 2wd 5304s or Agni....

Methy has a brand new Perm 132 for a reasonable price. :) 600amps at 80v through a PERM will go pretty hard for a drag pass. And make a peppy commuter.

liveforphysics said:
grindz145 said:
liveforphysics said:

Methy has a brand new Perm 132 for a reasonable price. :) 600amps at 80v through a PERM will go pretty hard for a drag pass. And make a peppy commuter.

Yes! Only 80V? Don't think I can spin it up?

I'm PMing him now...

Actually lied... after checking bank acct (DOPE) I have a shitload of hubmotors I can unload for cash though :twisted:

To me, "commercial vehicle" means something with "commercial" tags. To them, it probably means you have to scratchbuild your vehicle, or at least use only parts from commercially *available* vehicles (prebuilt ones) rather than simply installing the electric drive into the pre-existing vehicle. Someone will have to clarify that with them, before being disappointed come race day.

Satellite map of it shows there is indeed some distance beyond it of road, but it's not straight--there are buildings potentially in the path of stopping (at least part of one sticks out right at the finish line!).

Somebody might want to point out to the race officials that this is going to be a problem for their faster racers. ;)

QuarterMileRace.JPG

amberwolf said:
Somebody might want to point out to the race officials that this is going to be a problem for their faster racers. ;)

My plan is to just let it happen, and blow everyone away :twisted:

You just need to build something that has decent steering while hard on the brakes.

Jay64 said:
You just need to build something that has decent steering while hard on the brakes.
Yeah Amen to that. Telelever front end? :mrgreen:

So this is only limited to RIT students faculty and teams. I guess a team of a student could have multiple vehicles right?

Luke your suidcycle would teach them a thing or two about electric power + drag racing. For some reason people always think electric = slow and drag racing = easy.

Back