Crystalyte HS3540 48V or 72V

MixhaL

10 mW
HI
I planning to buy crystalyte HS3540 but I'm not sure of what controler should I buy.
I want quite high top speed and range.
I'm think about 48V 25A or 72V 20A.
Battery pack i will buy from ping, 48V 20Ah or 2x36V 10Ah=72V.
I know that on 48V top speed is about 32-33Mph but what range i could achive on 20Ah battery?
And what top speed about 72V 20A and range on 10Ah battery?

PS. Are they better motors at the same volt ( speed and torque) from crystalyte ?
Thank You

If you want speed and power, voltage really helps you get there.

Run 72V or higher. It's not going to be more efficient, but it will give you a higher top speed, and its a lot easier to get higher power.

I think it will be hard for you to get 32-33mph on the hs3540 with 48v at 25a. My best guess is probably 28-30mph. Going higher voltage is better. I am getting 37-40mph with 74v 30amp current limit. My best guess when you use the 72v at 10amp is maybe 25-30mph. In terms of range, i guess you will get 10-15 miles depending on the terrain at full throttle meaning 10-15amps limit

If you are going to use a 20ah Ping battery at 30a, you can not use a HS3540 and expect the battery to last very long.

I would use the HT3525 if you are planning to use a (less than 2c) Ping battery. In fact I would stay away from the HS motors unless you are running a 48V low amp controller. Bigger batteries are a different thing :twisted:

Who needs the problems.....

a 72V 20AH Ping battery will be pretty heavy (probably more than 30 pounds). If you can hadle it, get him to split the pack in 2 so that you can put in side saddles. That's what I did with my 20 pound 48 20 ping pack. It works pretty good. Just ask him by e-mail and he will do it.

In my opinion, if you go for 72v, i would go lipo. That way you can have high current without going high capacity. I have 74v 13.5ah, but i can go probably up to 20c without any problem. That's over 200A. With lifepo4, usually you should not go over 1.5c continuous for longevity. If you have low capacity battery, then you cannot have high current ouput.

I would use a 48 volt battery because 72 volts is much too powerful and dangerous in my opinion. I would also consider a lighter battery pack because multiple ping batteries can get very heavy.
You should consider a lighter allcell battery pack like I got or lipo from hobby king.

Jason27 said:
I would use a 48 volt battery because 72 volts is much too powerful and dangerous in my opinion.

Hmm. Jason, could you explain why you think 72V is too powerful and dangerous? Most of the other posters actually think 72V is the way to go, and I would agree. I would also agree to go lipo for reasons mentioned previously, but only if the OP is ready to take care of lipo packs to prevent any safety issues.

Buy a 72 volt programmable controller,

get a 72 volt battery,

Then decide what power u need, either full or limited.

If you have the money you should go an even higher voltage in my opinion.

i Have this controller... on a 72 volt setup
http://kellycontroller.com/kbs7210135a24-72v-mini-brushless-dc-controller-p-506.html

24 to 72 volts, really up to 90 volts to account for a fresh charged pack

if you got this you could set pretty much any speed setting you would like within the limits of everything.

Its a good price in my opinion.
its simple to wire up.
if you do get it, precharge is a must and they supply the resistor

Get torque arms or make them yourself, do this with any ebike. Its important! really.

hjns said:
Jason27 said:
I would use a 48 volt battery because 72 volts is much too powerful and dangerous in my opinion.

Hmm. Jason, could you explain why you think 72V is too powerful and dangerous? Most of the other posters actually think 72V is the way to go, and I would agree. I would also agree to go lipo for reasons mentioned previously, but only if the OP is ready to take care of lipo packs to prevent any safety issues.

Any voltage that lets you go over 30 miles an hour is just not safe in my opinion. it's also illegal in most places. Also if you don't know what you're doing playing with 72 volts is dangerous.

Jason27 said:
hjns said:
Jason27 said:

Any voltage that lets you go over 30 miles an hour is just not safe in my opinion. it's also illegal in most places. Also if you don't know what you're doing playing with 72 volts is dangerous.

When you leave your house its not safe.

Safety aside, a 10 ah 72v pingbattery is only going to be good for about 15 amps. So 1200w is not going to be getting you going fast, very fast. To even run a 72v 20 amp controller, you'll need at least 36v 15 ah pings in series. Plus you will run into a wall of wind at some point that limits your speed. 1200w is simply not going to get you to the full potential speed of 72v, per the laws of physics. The wind resistance is going to require more watts.

So you go buy a 40 amp controller. Now you really are looking at needing a huge ping, like a pair of 30 ah 36v batteries. The upside to that plan is you will have plenty of range to melt your motor trying to haul ass further than a motor designed for 1000w will go.

There is battery range, that you can calculate. Motor range, at high speed, is harder to estimate since weather conditions affect it, as well as how mismacthed your controller and motor is. My rule of thumb for range, after melting more than one motor is that carrying much more than 1000 wh of battery, if you are offering 3000w potential or more to the motor is sketchy. Your battery may last longer than the motor.

I'm not saying a 72v 20 amp controller is a poor plan. It is. Just be aware that you will see 3-5 mph less speed than a 40 amp controller would. With a pair of 15 ah pings, you'd have a decent range bike, with about 1500 max amps. That is not so likely to overheat, compared to a 2500-3000 w setup. It won't zip off the line like a 3000w bike, and may not reach 40 mph, but it will still ride nicer in my opinion than a 48v 20 amp setup. Nothing wrong with 48v 20 amps, if 30 mph is more like your goal for top speed.

Range on the 48v 20 ah battery at 33 mph? I will guestimate 15 miles at least, but not 20. I really haven't riddent that speed enough to have good range experience for that speed in all real world conditions. But I'm pretty sure you'd get at least that 15 miles. That means you really only have 12 miles of daily range, if you want to make your batteries happy.

Look at cellmans a123 battery and don't worry about blowing a cell, 48v. plus his geared motor. His controllers have a C.A. plug for amp. adj. Plus add a 11t rear freewheel with a 48t front.

Back