Specialized BigHit + Cyclone 1200w

dave.a

100 W
Hi all, wanted to get a few pictures up of my first e-bike.
I was originally inspired to build one after watching Burties youtube videos a long time ago.
Its using zippy 6s 8ah lipos, 12s in total. Battery placement is temporary as i have a friend, who used to work for Spondon, working on welding me a box section downtube with enough space for 16ah.
Me and my dad have made all the brackets and plates on his hobby cnc mill and my manual lathe. Ive done about 200 miles on it so far with no problems at all.
I built my best biking buddy one at the same time too :)
dfa70f5c.jpg

66bdad91.jpg

e682cb7f.jpg

c22c7171.jpg

237bb0f3.jpg

830ad85e.jpg

05d28307.jpg

A little action and my mates blue one:)
db5f82b7.jpg

4dc2919a.jpg

32ca325f.jpg

man thats a good job for a first build. Thogh I'd suggest atleast using some sheet metal or similar to cover up your lipos in the mean time, one crash could puncture a cell, and that's never a good thing.

Love the HUD on the front, and all the colour coding. I just hope my first mid drive build will be that clean.

Nice bike Dave! Thanks for the photos. Hope to see some video of this bike when you get the chance.............wayne

Great work Dave, i like it alot! Thats a well rounded bike - big brakes, plenty of power, properly geared and tons of suspension travel (love the shiver forks too!).

A few suggestions - maybe smear some silicon around where your wiring exits the motor to keep water and crap out.

You'll eventually wana replace the standard Dicta crank freewheel with a White Industries ENO available from Sick Bike Parts, much better quality and should last longer.

Adding a chain tensioner has a few advantages - nice even chain tension that you never have to adjust or ever worry about and it also gives more chain wrap around the freewheel which in theory should help it last longer before wearing out the teeth. A side benefit is no accidental chain de-railments either. I just used a rear derailiur jockey wheel with a bearing in it, some carbon fibre to mount it and a spring from a hardware store:

003.JPG

Other than that, get the 2 extra 8ah lipo bricks on there and enjoy the ride!

Oh and don't forget to re-lube the Cyclone's gearbox now and then too :D

Paul :D

^^ +1 +1 +1...to everything everything Paul said, he has the best cyclone install
....i know this is a big call...in the world... IMHO...

Again though...fantastic job Dave, love the pics, will we get some video? looks
like your both rappin' it on a BMX track? up some vid of big jumps like your doin'
in the still shots and you will be getting some seriiiiious hate from the X5 frock
motor bois teehehhehe :: casts bait into water:: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :p

KiM

Jeremy clarkeson said:
probably the best bike.............................in the world
Jeremy

+1 on jeremys comment for timmas bike, awesome build.
Sterling job on the bikes Dave, mid drive full suss is definately the way to go, looking forward to some vids please!!!

**bait swerved** :lol:

D

Attachments

• in the world.bmp
    114.3 KB · Views: 5,022
Good to see people appreciating your efforts Dave, I got to see this bike earlier this week, it is as good in the flesh as the pics, the motor mount is realy good, the build quality of the bike and its components through to the colour scheme makes it one of those bikes that you just want to spend some time looking at to spot all the nice detail work he has done.

I was very pleased to find Dave only lives half an hour from me so i am sure we will be doing some off road ebiking together in the future.

Made a lot of progress on mine this week Dave :D

love it!

how are the brakes working out for you? the hoses on mine broke off at the handles on both front and rear before i got a chance to try em out. lucky they include spares in the box!

c

Tench, whereabouts are you guys? it'd be a lot of fun to meet up next season for a ride, mind me and knoxie would be on frocks so we'd have to swerve anything too aggressive ;) - get some pics up if you havent already?
im really looking forward to seeing a mid drive you can bounce !!

D

D, my big hit is having a mid mount HS3540 these motors really make some good torque when used in small wheels but i wanted big wheels so stuck it in the middle to run through the gears, my lowest gear will equate to a 9.4" wheel :shock: :D hopefully it will be finished for chrimbo!
I am not going to start a build thread untill it is finished.

I am in Derby and Dave is half an hour north east of me.

in all those excitement....
I hate to be critical but...
You didn't make it really weather-proof at all, all you planning on avoiding rain? Well sonner or later you will be cought in one.
Wires entering motor will direct rain water right into motor ,you forgot about drip loop, looping wires down before entering motor is the way to go.

Hi guys, thanks for the comments! Specs for the bike are :-
Maxxis minion 24"x2.7" tires front and rear on Halo Combat rims and DMR Hubs
Hope 4 pot rear brake with sintered pads and Hope 203mm floating Disk
Large single pot front with Hope 203mm Disk
Marzochi Shiver forks and Fox DHX 3.0 ( to be replaced with DHX 5.0 Air)
SRAM X9 Derailiur and X5 shifter, 34-11t cassette and Powelink chain.
Motor connectors were replaced with 4mm golds and battery conectors are EC5's.
Chainring sprockets are Dmr 32t inner and 42t outer. I used the original cyclone outer ring as the mounting plate for Dmr chainrings.
Ive still got a fair bit of work to do to get her how i would like, inc frame box for the lipos as mentioned, rear shock changed, the controller is boeng moved further down once my mounts are finished for the fork tubes.
Ive already stripped the gearbox and re lubed with high temp lithium grease and i vaselined all the cable entries from the inside.
Timma's bike really inspired me aswel, and i defo agree it is THE best cyclone build ever!
I built this as a fun bike, not a commuter, all my trails are about 500m from my front door, so getting caught in the rain isnt really a problem, i just wanted a reasonably powered, light as possible 'attack' bike :) it does the job spot on.
Ill keep this thread updated with photos and videos will come as soon as ive registered and figured out youtube!
Im in Nottingham and would love to meet up for a ride with folks, just need someone to organise it all, how about you Tench :)
Cant wait to see your HS big hit!!! Its going to be awesome.
I usually see peak Watts on this of around 1800w by the way, is that avg?
Cheers Dave

You lucky bugger, i've gotta drive 60km to get to my fave trails! :roll: :lol:

Yep, 1800w peaks are about spot on with a 8ah lipo pack, i got the same when i ran a 10ah pack.
Funny enough i now see around 1900 - 2000w with my 15ah pack, less voltage sag i guess as peak amps are still the same at slightly over 40a. I'm going to try to beef up my shunt for around 2500 - 3000w soon :mrgreen:

How do you find the 2.7" minions, do you like them?

The max amps ive pulled so far is 36A. Top speed is around 30mph ish. Its geared for off road and steep climbs, which it does really well.
Videos will come soon :)
Timma, the 2.7" minions are an excellent tire! Quite good rolling resistance aswell on the road. Ive got the 60a on the rear and the super sticky up front.

Thats interesting your getting 30mphish while mine pulls up to 40mph wound right out in 9th gear. We're both using an 11-34t cassette and a 32t on the cranks, your using a 42t from the motor on the crank and i'm using a 44t and we're both running 12s lipo. It must be the rim / tyre diameter that makes the difference perhaps? (24" vs 26")

They sure do climb well. There is a hill where i ride that i've dubbed "c#nt hill", its the sort of hill you'd never get up on a normal un-powered mtb and i struggle to keep a balance of controlling wheelspin and keeping the front end on the ground its that steep, yet the cyclone chuggs up it with no complaints (apart from heating right up by the end of it lol).

The combo of the hard 60a rear and super tacky front 2.7" minions sounds great. I know what i want from Santa this xmas now! :wink:

Anyway back on topic, vids when you can!

Timma, 30ish is just a guess, as i have no working speedo on the bike yet due to mounting issues with the usd forks. Ive milled off loads of the controller case fins and that only ever gets barely warm. This made it look a little neater and shaved off 300 grams. The motor only ever gets warm to the touch even after hard uphill stints, i think thats down to all the brackets acting as heatsinks. 24" vs 26 does make quite a difference, i much prefer 24's.
I got my mates motor kit from Eclipse bikes in the uk.
I am planning on selling the mounting kits for Big hits if anyones interested, or building full bikes for people if they want them.
455823e2.jpg

Hi Dave, i used to ride the trails on enduro bikes before they where all reclassified, i know most of the peak district trails by heart and a friend has all the OS maps for the country marked up with a the trails high lighted, where ever you want to i can get the trail maps! We used to do a 200 mile round trip to Manchester and back nearly all on the trails, i know the ebikes cant do this but i can still put a few good routes together for some days out in the peak district if you fancy it? maybe a bit of a group ride UK next summer?

Simon.

Simon, that sounds spot on mate. There is 3 of us that would be well up for that! So thats 4 so far! Im sure we could get 10 plus :)

Definately up for a ride with you guys next season, also let me know wabout the big hit mounting plates 8)

D

Back