I dunno what it clears besides memories, but it definitely lets you know it happened when you get up there in voltage.
I forget now what voltage the welders were, but they were some kind of "generator powered" stick welders (when you plugged them into the four-pronged huge wall outlet (that I think was 220VAC but might've been more; the plugs were bigger than my hand in highschool, whatever they were) a motor inside could be heard to start up, and a whine start a moment after that, as if a motor was spinning a generator). Anyway, I was on a metal bench putting my gloves and flipdown mask on, with puddles from the previous night's flood all over the FFA/highschool shop floor, to the walls and up to the bottoms of the welders, and the benches. Somebody set their stick electrode down on my bench, and my legs convulsed and threw me into the shop wall hard enough to dent the corrugated sheet metal (it was like a barn style building). I didn't actually remember any of it, or about 3 weeks before or after, and was told what happened (probably more than once). I dunno if it was the electricity or the impact that damaged my memory....
I can't count the number of times I've been lightly zapped by things I was sure I'd discharged (CRTs and caps in disassembled electronics under repair, etc), plus a few times I was working on AC wiring with idiot partners that turned breakers back on while I was still working on stuff.
Now that I have lots of big batteries, I've been zapped a few times on those, but only on the ones at 72V and up so far. Below that, I haven't felt anything beyond a slight tingle even with sweaty hands or arms.
Still, I've been very careful to avoid electric shock, so I haven't been zapped nearly as many times as I would probably have been if I were careless, and I'm sure that I'd've been hurt a lot more otherwise.