Generating power from children - like the Matrix

I would like to build at least one, probably two of these exercise bikes. I think it would be good for my off season training during the winter and my mom would totally get a kick out of having one of these.

I've built one as well - I got the motor for free so why not.

I cut up a girl's BMX ($5) and basically just used the rear end. I stuck the handlebars from a little kick-scooter (the type w/ rollerblade wheels) where the seat used to be and flipped it over so it would stand on its own and pedal. I mounted the motor to the front of the seat tube as close to the crank as possible using a couple short chains as clamps. I left just a little bit of the bottom tube for looks, and so I could add a headlight. I need to get a sprocket on the crank is all that's really left to do.

Mine's portable since it mounts to my pocket bike, making a recumbent ebike, and detachable. :mrgreen:

I've been hanging out with the boys at Off The Grid in Orlando a lot lately. They have an exercise bike just sitting in the corner. When I told them we should do something like this build, they said they were already thinking of it. I found a box full of small, old electric motors that I got from someone for free, and there was a motor just like the one used on this build in it. So I dropped it off at Off The Grid this weekend so we can use it to make one of these. The whole place is powered by alternative energy that is made on site from solar panels and a windmill. We are working on some new projects to add to the power producing ability of the property. This will fit in great. We are planning a big party in March and are going to have a DJ being powered by the electricity being produced there. We were thinking it might be cool to have everyone at the party take turns on the bike to help keep the music going.

Back