Had my first taste of LIPO power yesterday... Wow! The old Rad2Go has a new lease on life. As well as swapping from Pb to LiPo I also beefed up some of the battery wiring, and upgraded the connectors. With the extra voltage available and considerably less weight, keeping the front wheel on the ground is a full time job!
I took just over 4ah out of the 8ah pack. The first 1ah was with the granny switch on. This limits the throttle to about 25%. Max amps are about 35 and max speed is a useful 30+km/h @ ~ 21amps. I went back to the pits and checked everything out, making sure nothing was getting hot... All okay!
The next 1ah was with full power available. Now we're having fun! Was easy on throttle application and didn't stay WOT for too long at a time. Another return to the pits and I was surprised to find nothing hot under the hood!
So now it was all go go go! Lots of hard acceleration from low speed (wheelies) treating the throttle like a switch! Was great fun! Got up to 46km/h on flat ground. (~3km/h better than Pb) On my final pit-stop I found that even with the abuse I had just dished out, the LiPo's were only lukewarm to touch. Everything else was happy, except I nearly burnt myself on the speed controller!