Eugene Oregon Yuba Mundo with Mdrive

xydeco

1 µW
First post ever, first build. Total newbie, but have learned good useful stuff here. Thanks! I have Cellman's 52.8V 13.8Ah A123 pack coming soon. Being as green as the first leaves in spring, in this wonderful DIY ebike scene, would love it if anyone from my neck o' the woods would be available to chat about my project. Thanks so much. ~ Mickyle

The bike, the battery, and the motor are all upscale choices (pricey), but I would like to say that you will not be disappointed with any of them. If by M-drive you mean the "hub-as-a-non-hub" with a freewheel, from the urbancommuterstore.com, it is a great selection. Awesome climber from what I've read.

Over the next year, I suspect you will make some experienced E-bikers jealous once they try your rig out. The bike you are outfitting is the type that is typically purchased as the third or fourth project, after years are spent learning what you don't like. I recommend making up business-card size slips of paper with the web-address of this build, that way when you have to keep moving and someone wants to ask a lot of questions, you just hand them one of the cards...

You may also want to investigate the Thudbuster and the Cycleanalyst, many satisfied customers. Heres the link to the factory longtail cargobike thread. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32220

http://urbancommuterstore.com/

I like that - "helluva batt". Bodes well... ; ) The motor is Cellman's Mac10, which Sonny at the Urban Commuter Store is using in his Mdrive mid-drive motor for the Yuba Mundo. He's written about it here on ES. Motor and battery are in the works and soon to be sent my way. Did I mention that I'm thrilled at the prospect?

Spinningmagnets ~ wow that's some very welcome feedback. Thanks man! That is indeed the mid-drive I'm getting. I'm putting this bike together to be the basis of a project to promote cargo/electric bikes here in Eugene, OR as a truly viable alternative to driving. Cheers! You made my night......

Yes, nice drive, similar idea to mine, only for the big bikes! I like it!

Everyone should give a big thanks to STOKEMONKEY - They pioneered the HUB mid drive concept and purposely drove through the stoker crank after already developing the drive going through the rt hand side chain ring That everyone now is "developiong". He made it for long tail bikes but could easily be installed on any bike in the triangle area. Very simple and bullet proof design that he produced for legal markets that could easily reach speeds for the Doityourselfers. Pretty ingenious!!!

Alan B said:
Whiplash said:
Yes, nice drive, similar idea to mine, only for the big bikes! I like it!

Looks like they patented it, too.

Yes, a good idea, its not the same as mine though and fits different bikes and also mounts differently..

Alan B - I'll definitely report in on how it rides.

Stoney - I totally agree about the Stokemonkey. I've discussed it with Todd (of Clever Cycles in PDX, its inventor) several times. When it came time to pull the trigger on my project, the SM had just become unavailable due to production issues. I thought long and hard about buying the very last Stokemonkey they had for sale, which was on an Electra Amsterdam in their shop. Todd said to decide soon because they were fixing to cannibalize that SM for parts. Yikes.... I'm glad I let it go because the Yuba Mundo is far and away a better choice for my project.....and then the Mdrive popped up on my radar (here on ES) and it's been go mode ever since....

On the subject of patenting, I'm not a fan. But I'm sure glad that there's a mid-drive on the market. At $1050. I consider it a real bargain. Is there another mid-drive out there, at any price? I hope so, but I haven't seen it.

Mine is coming very soon as I am in the works on the prototype now. I should be testing this weekend I HOPE the last few parts show up!!! Mine is for standard mountain bikes and mounts under the down tube to the bottom bracket...

I am running a Yuba with the urbancommuter Mid Drive. It's working great for me so far , but I do wish I could use a direct drive motor
rather then a mac so I could feed it more power..

Sonny is great for support and has helped me out quite a bit.. GL with the build.

Back