def215 wrote:i now can see that the motor i built technically is not an axial flux motor, but more of a pancake motor.
ive followed your threads of your motor build and i am really impressed with it, and beats anything ive built any day of the week. but ive noticed that your motor doesnt have an iron core in the windings. is it not necessary for that type of motor? but im guessing that is why you have magnet plates on both sides of the winding plate. and ive also noticed it was 12-tooth 14 pole. im curious to what winding pattern you used because i have mine done in DLRK.
amberwolf wrote:def215 wrote:i now can see that the motor i built technically is not an axial flux motor, but more of a pancake motor.
As I understand the terminology, axial flux simply means that the flux from magnet to coil would be parallel to the axle (magnets to teh side of the coils), and radial flux (like most of our hubmotors) would be with the magnets either radially outside or inside the coils.
So yours is indeed an axial-flux motor. Just like radial-flux types, there are variations on axial-flux as well.
Lebowski wrote:The way I set it up you don't need iron in the cores (and I am sure as, well, there's no argueing with a
working motor which puts out real power ). Iron cores is posible but would make the motor difficult
to handle. The two magnet plates in my motor attract each other (over a 8 mm airgap) with roughly
100kg of force, I need a special puller to take it apart. Can you imagine the force if I reduce the gap to 2 mm ?
The way I would go about adding iron cores if I would want this... Here in Europe they sell this garding
wire in the garden centres for tying up beanstalks and stuff. It's plastic coated 0.5 to 1 mm thick iron wire, so
it is magnetic and electrically isolated. If you wind this the same way you wind a coil but leave the endings
unconnected you have an iron core with very little eddy current losses. Just wind it while applying generous
amounts of epoxy glue (get it completely soaked) and you'll get a strong solid iron core. But you'll never be
able to take your motor apart again
amberwolf wrote:Ah...cuz that really is a LOT of power for an unloaded motor. Either there's lots of friction somewhere, or as you say: eddy currents.
The motor I posted pics of has no cores; teh windings are just flat sections cast into a plastic rotor (I don't knwo what kind of plastic, but it has not failed or deformed even after the many times I heated those things up way way past the boiling point of water...pouring water on the outside would just get me flash steam for several seconds or longer!).
Kingfish wrote:It sounded to me like there was rubbing between the stator and rotor, creating a heck of a lot of resistance to spinning, as well as bearing chatter. I hope your next wind goes well
My 1/2 watt, KF
dynamo dave wrote:Nice job. I am trying to get where you guys are at. I have most of Axel Borg's books on building your own electric motors . I also have some books on homemade wind generators that I should be able to trick into thinking they are motors. Again nice job.
Users browsing this forum: Futterama and 1 guest