[EDIT - 19-07-2012] All alpha brain boxes have sold out. See this post for more details
[EDIT - 24-04-2012] I have edited the thread title, and modified this post to let people know that the datalogging features has been removed, as well as the temperature sensor. The features worked but we ran into memory limits that stopped more important features being introduced.
Foreword: This first post maybe tweaked over time, to keep any updates in one spot, or fix any errors.
For sale is the Alpha release of the Brain Box, a new ebike computer/throttle interface/datalogger.
It has been specifically designed around the Commuter Booster friction drive, but can be used stand alone much like a Cycle Analyst but with full data logging capabilities, including temperature.
([EDIT - 24-2-2011) DATALOGGING AND TEMP SENSOR ARE NO LONGER OFFERED )The Commuter Booster is for sale in a seperate thread
The hardware currently consist of:
- a single button interface for throttle, and computer navigation/programming
- a 8x2 LCD display (with optional back light)
- speed,voltage,current,temperature sensors
([EDIT - 24-2-2011) TEMP SENSOR IS NO LONGER OFFERED )
- Bar Graph battery guage, auto resetting
- single button throttle interface (suits drop or flat bars)
- user settable min & max assist speeds
- two user settable power limits, easily selectable during ride
- cruise control
- usual ebike stats (speed, volts, amps, watts, wh/dist, dist, time, watt-hours, Min Volts, Max Amps, Max Speed, Max Power, Avg Speed
- new ebike stats (temp, distance left, average power consumption, trip #, Bat Cycle, Life kWh, Life Dist)
- small (very unobtrusive on the bike)
- user adjustable PID loops for both power and speed (factory settings tuned for 300-100w setups)
- true power limitting, not amps (so true power limit is maintained even as battery voltage sags)
- friction drive optimised motor engagement/disengagement, minimum speeds, and power limitting refines friction drive package
- simple intuitive throttle & menu interface
- microSD datalogging, records summary trip stats & real time stats to seperate files for each trip automatically
([EDIT - 24-2-2011) DATALOGGING IS NO LONGER OFFERED )
- 10bit sensor precision
- Max Voltage: 78V
- Max Amps: 90 Amps
- powered off ESC BEC 5v
- upgradeable. Firmware can be upgraded via MAC or PC and the supplied miniUSB cable. Based on Arduino uC so easily hacked.
- schematic will be made available
- Note: Brain Box source code will not be made public at this stage. Sorry.
- Spare IOs still available for future expansion
- screen uses standard HD44780 interface, and code design to allow easy expansion to different screen sizes. So a 16x2 screen is electronically a relatively simple upgrade in the future if people require more screen realestate. Or 20x4 for that matter.
- If I ever plan to permenently stop developement, I plan to make all source code public, so others can implement any changes they require in the future.
- I plan on listening to peoples feedback from this first batch, and implement changes. So here is you chance to get the ebike computer features you always wanted.
Planned future developements:
- analog throttle input/output to suit hall/pot throttles, and normal ebike controllers.Price:
- AU$140 + shipping
- unfortunately these are quite time consuming to assemble, but it is still cheaper that a CA and Analogger.
- If you are not interested in the datalogging or temperature sensor, I can probably drop the price down a bit, let me know.
- If you think you can make these chepaer let me know, as I would be happy for someone else to make the electronics hardware for me.
- If I get enough interest then I can hopefully scale this up and get custom PCBs made, and hopefully make it all more cost effective.
To place an order send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
. With the following details.
- Quantity required
- Any special instructions
If you buy this and the Commuter Booster all you need to do is get a motor($60+), ESC($35+), batteries, some miscelanous wires and you will have one of the lightest weight high performance ebike kits available in the world.
I'll be updating the Commuter Booster website
soon to reflect all the latest developements.
Also check out the videos on the Commuter Booster Youtube stream
which shows all the steps off putting a complete system together.
Here are a few more pics, and videos.