72v 1500W 40A Hua Tong CA08 XM06AD_P04.1 controller

Reading a bit on the sensorless topic, I found this thread that has pictures of a sensorless controller. It appears to me it has a daughterboard that takes care of the logic to run sensorless. My take is that if someone has more knowledge about this we could integrate that into this 72V controller and make it sensorless, that would make for an excellent cheap solution because a 72V sensorless controller is more than 120$ easily.

Here is the thread for reference, read POST 1 and THE LAST POST.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6550&hilit=sensorless&start=15

cohberg said:
I think this is the daughter board in question. You might want to ask methods where he got these.

Also, this controller is confirmed to be sensorless if price is important.

Nice ! ... so it seems with a couple of more bucks this could be the best bang for the buck controller ever. If it works!

Mine works sensorless.
It has to as I have no hall sensors.

Plugged in power, phase wires and throttle. Worked first time.

Scottyf said:
Mine works sensorless.
It has to as I have no hall sensors.
Nice :). Have you checked does it have regen?

Geared hub bafang so no regen. It's not something ive been that fussed with. Would rather have free wheeling ability at cycle speeds.

Oh, ok then. I have hub motor so that's why I'm interested.

4th generation (D3.2) board roll call.
Can anybody confirm that the controller can be run sensorless? Pics of the board would be greatly appreciated!

Hi and sorry, I'm a little confused with these controllers, Anyone know which of these controllers have 100v Fet?
http://www.dhgate.com/72v-1500w-brushless-speed-controller-for/r-ff80808131bbd38d0131bbda55e40253.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Quality-Brushless-Speed-Controller-Scooter-Electric-Bikes-72V-1500W-NEW-/250970863840?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6f0778e0#ht_4348wt_1185

Thanks a lot

oriam said:
Hi and sorry I'm a little confused with these controllers, Anyone know which of these controllers have 100v Fet?
http://www.dhgate.com/72v-1500w-brushless-speed-controller-for/r-ff80808131bbd38d0131bbda55e40253.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Quality-Brushless-Speed-Controller-Scooter-Electric-Bikes-72V-1500W-NEW-/250970863840?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6f0778e0#ht_4348wt_1185

Thanks a lot

No one can answer this question with any certainty because we can not be sure which components will be in the next unit shipped. The model of FET changes back and forth during a month. Seems to be whatever FET is handy, is installed.

Ok thanks, I understand it is a lottery, I've asked to sellers for the type of capacitors and Fets in these controllers, but never respond me
I need put 20s Lipo
Thanks of new

oriam said:
Ok thanks, I understand it is a lottery, I've asked to sellers for the type of capacitors and Fets in these controllers, but never respond me
I need put 20s Lipo
Thanks of new
By reading the posts I see the guys have run them to 100V. They have also pushed 50A at 48V. They are so cheap, maybe you just buy 2-3 and see what they can take? I bought 5 but have not run them over 75V. For a few more dollars you can get a controller from Greentime built to your specs. Contact Leo Liu <chinagreentime@gmail.com>

oriam said:
Hi and sorry, I'm a little confused with these controllers, Anyone know which of these controllers have 100v Fet?

Thanks a lot
Both do. Here is the faq

Both of those should have 100V fets and caps. They are the same controller in the pictures.

I just received my second Hua Tong 72V 1500W controller. I installed the stock controller in my Tunigy 80-100 build and here are my results/observations:

The controller pcb revision C-D3.2 and is labeled as 38A +/- 2A instead of 40A +/-2A as my first one. Another difference is that this one has IRFB4310 FET's instead of IRFB4710's. According to the spec sheet the IRFB4310 is a better part with 5.6mOhm resistance instead of 14mOhm for the 4710. It's also rated at 140A instead of 75A however this is inconsequential as both parts are package limited to 75A. There are a few extra wires coming out, one of which is orange and has no connector.

The controller works perfectly under no load conditions - nice throttle response. However under load with about half throttle, the controller cuts-out badly. I'm not sure if the controller is reaching its current limit and then backing off, back on, etc., or if it's a timing issue that is exacerbated under load. It's possible however to exceed this limit where the power oscillations fade and the controller seems to do fine again. If you watch the video you can see when I cross over the cut-out threshold and am able to apply full power under WOT. The controller is capable of doing over 1500W continuous with very little warming of the case.

I like this controller as it is smaller than the Kelly I have and fits nicely into the box with my batteries. If I could figure out why it's so jerky in that mid-power band it would be a viable candidate for this bike. I will do a bit more testing in the stock configuration and then I'll mod the shunts with a bit more solder to see if this takes care of the cutting-out behavior or perhaps lets the smoke out.

I also tried to get the controller working in sensorless mode, as others have suggested is possible, to no avail.

[youtube]oI4p40-Q_e8[/youtube]

Attachments

• P1050835.JPG
    P1050835.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 3,258
  • P1050812.JPG
    P1050812.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 3,258
  • P1050839.JPG
    P1050839.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 3,258
mauimart said:
I just received my second Hua Tong 72V 1500W controller. I installed the stock controller in my Tunigy 80-100 build and here are my results/observations:

sounds like a phase lock issue. but then again i haven't run an rc motor.
i know this is mundane, but you should scope out your hall sensors. maybe it might provide some insight: at worst it would just eliminate a variable
oh another thing, try grounding the low or medium speed pad while using 0-100% (input) throttle. i guess that would let you diagnose the throttle side of things

very excited about this controller running rc motors. good work!

Might be low inductance of the RC motor? The controller thinks it is looking at a short and cuts back. Make an inductor for each leg out of a few turns of wire wound around a piece of plastic pipe. See it this smooths out the motor?

cohberg said:
sounds like a phase lock issue. but then again i haven't run an rc motor.
i know this is mundane, but you should scope out your hall sensors. maybe it might provide some insight: at worst it would just eliminate a variable
oh another thing, try grounding the low or medium speed pad while using 0-100% (input) throttle. i guess that would let you diagnose the throttle side of things

very excited about this controller running rc motors. good work!

I'm not confident that it's a hall sensor issue as the motor works fine with the Kelly controller. I may however put the scope on it anyway to see what's going on. Perhaps noise from the phase wires is being coupled to the sensor wires as that mass of wires enters the controller in a 3/4 inch hole.

I'm not sure what you mean by grounding the speed pads?

Gordo said:
Might be low inductance of the RC motor? The controller thinks it is looking at a short and cuts back. Make an inductor for each leg out of a few turns of wire wound around a piece of plastic pipe. See it this smooths out the motor?

The inductance of my motor should be considerably higher than the stock delta 130kV wind. It's a 9T wye wind. It would be interesting to know who else is successfully running this controller and in what specific application (hub, rc, etc.).

Thanks for the suggestions.

mauimart said:
I'm not sure what you mean by grounding the speed pads?

an errant idea honestly. k1 and k2 are high and low speed pads on the 3.1 board. Try grounding those to see if its a controller throttle input issue.

maybe your voltage drop under load is initiating your LVC.

the controller is rated 72v and does not work well under 72V due to the voltage drop.

I tried at 67v and it cut out after about 100 metres.

I've got one of these controllers headed my way, does it play nice at 18S, anyone have any experience running BMC / MAC motors with this controller?

Tom,
I ran the one you'll be getting on 18s lipo. Never hit lvc on the controller though so cannot give a definitive lvc. Most the others said it was around 60v. Might be a bit higher.

Thanks Scotty, did yo say it was sensored OR sensorless with auto switch?

nonlineartom said:
I've got one of these controllers headed my way, does it play nice at 18S, anyone have any experience running BMC / MAC motors with this controller?
I run mine on 18s most of the time. LVC will start cutting out around 60V which is perfect for 18s lipo.

Back