E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Yes great pictures Toby. I like that one with the suspension fully compressed. Must have been a fair jump. I know that John at Stealth sets his suspension really stiff on his bike.

I was practicing wheelies on mine last week. Managed to mess it up completely and went over the bars. Fell hard and cracked a rib. I think I will leave the wheelies to the younger guys for now :lol:

dave.a said:
Nice pics Toby
[youtube]Xmw9jgOrfPU[/youtube]
Great video Dave.

The Bomber looks really well balanced and seems to handle better then the cyclone powered bike (which is a really nice build by the way) Is that the actual case or my bias imagination taking over :)

Hey

Super great pictures!! really nice to see a bomber being jumped so well :) crikey there is some serious compression going on when you land there's nothing of you so I am assuming you have it set pretty soft and the rest is the bike?

I think you said that you had some video from the day as well? would love to see that if you get around to it, I would love to come up and see the bike when the weather picks up in the spring maybe? and how is it going on the dealer front? is that still going forward?

Looking forward to seeing any video and or more pictures :) great stuff!!

And great video from Dave!! super wheelies thats proper skill doing that :p

Kepler said:
I was practicing wheelies on mine last week. Managed to mess it up completely and went over the bars. Fell hard and cracked a rib.
:shock: Ouch ! ! Heal quick buddy.

@Kepler and @ Knoxie, Thanks for the good comments.

The suspesion is full soft and since taking those I have stiffened up the rear a bit as we shredded the bag under the saddle with one landing (much better than shredding the bag above the saddle though!)

We did get some good air and there is a lot more to come, just getting confidence first and the take off was not massive. The other guy in the pic is my friends Son and he is only 16 so he is pretty fearless, he will go higher next time- he had only ridden the bike for 5 mins before taking those pics.

Knoxie you know you are welcome to come and play with the bikes whenever you like. The dealer website will have these pics added and we should go live with it soon.

I do have some good video but the guy who took it has added on some of our childrens parties and other stuff and I have no idea how to edit it down - or even if this is possible. I can email you Knoxie if you want to have a look and you may be able to suggest a way to cut it down? If you want then pm me the best email to use. It is quite a large file.

Kepler, I hope you heal soon. I popped 2 ribs by coming off a race quad about 8 years ago and it still plays me up now, I am off to the back man this week I think. I do not know how you went over the bars doing wheelie, surely it was over the back?

Kepler, the Specialized is fine for tight technical stuff but my Bomber kills it at everything else. I like the weight of the hub as it feels closest to my enduro bikes. The only thing that catches me out every now and then is how light the front end is which causes it to push as im sure you know.
Toby, in a month or so i was going to make the trip down to you with my bikes for a play day if you fancy it?
Dave

dave.a said:
Kepler, the Specialized is fine for tight technical stuff but my Bomber kills it at everything else. I like the weight of the hub as it feels closest to my enduro bikes. The only thing that catches me out every now and then is how light the front end is which causes it to push as im sure you know.
Toby, in a month or so i was going to make the trip down to you with my bikes for a play day if you fancy it?
Dave

Sounds good to me, I can make sure there is a friend with a Fighter and I think Knoxie will come down too.
If you are staying down then I can put you up if you like, if not there are plenty of places to stay close by.

Should be good. What dates are you thinking of? I can check with Knoxie too.

That's a great video but the cameraman needs a tissue I think :wink:

Thanks for posting, it's good to see how they perform in snow :D

Cheers

FRM

Justtoby said:
Kepler, I hope you heal soon. I popped 2 ribs by coming off a race quad about 8 years ago and it still plays me up now, I am off to the back man this week I think. I do not know how you went over the bars doing wheelie, surely it was over the back?

LOL, you would think you would fall off the back doing wheelies but my extraordinary riding skills allowed me to go over the front.

Picture this 51 year old bloke on the throttle with the front going way too high and panic braking to get it down, then the front landing hard followed by involuntarily hitting the throttle again, and now all crossed up. Finally breaking hard again and landing the front wheel completely off balance and its by-bye Kepler over the bars.

Would have been as funny hell to see from a spectators point of view :lol:

So I was going to buy a second charger from John so I can charge at work without having to cart my charger every day...BUT.

Since I'm planning on going down the LiPo path anyway, I figured I should just get a charger that can handle the LiPo and the current 58.4V LiFePo4 pack as well.

I realise it's a long shot, but I was hoping to find a charger or solution that can bulk charge 18s, but I realise this might not be possible. Does anyone know of such a charger or charging setup?

I'm still learning lots about LiPo/charging (and getting mighty confused in the process. Man there's a lot of opinionated info out there).

Cheers

Cool pics Toby, looks like a nice spot for some bomber bashing too :)
Which motor are you running ? The speed or the torque wind ? I couldn't get the speed wind one to pop the front wheel without really yanking it.

Good to see the video in the snow too, riding in the snow would be so foreign to most of us here in Australia.
Kepler said:
Picture this 51 year old bloke on the throttle with the front going way too high and panic braking to get it down, then the front landing hard followed by involuntarily hitting the throttle again, and now all crossed up. Finally breaking hard again and landing the front wheel completely off balance and its by-bye Kepler over the bars.

Would have been as funny hell to see from a spectators point of view :lol:
John should increase the price $300 and include a mandatory gopro with every sale :lol:
Hope you heal up soon, I've had broken ribs so I know how little fun they can be (not bike related for once, I hit a patch of ice on my first time snow boarding)

This is the closest I can find to what I would need.
http://www.hyperion-world.com/products/product/HP-EOS0720iSDUO3

And I can see there are a few here on ES who use it but, it would still require splitting the packs into 12s then 6s for charging.

Hyena, what do you do?

I'm aware of the need to take care of LiPo, but I still want a relatively simple solution for charging if possible.

*EDIT*
Actually I can see now I could get 2 of these.
http://www.hyperion-world.com/products/product/HP-EOS1420iNET3

But that's not cheap. Any single(ish) chargers out there that can do 18s?

Cheers,

Philistine said:
Get a bulk charger, I use one of these to charge my 20S pack, you can get a lower wattage one if you want to save a few bucks.

<span><a href="http://www.bmsbattery.com/...ifepo4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ev-charger.html" class="smarterwiki-linkify">http://www.bmsbattery.com/alloy-shell/163-alloy-shell-1500w-lifepo4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ev-charger.html[/url]</a></span>

That might do the trick if I use one of Methods LVC/HVC circuits on my LiPo setup. Was thinking of doing that anyway. :)

It jumps from 48V to 60V in the specs. Can it be adjusted somewhere in between?

Any opinions from others?

As the factory battery has a BMS on-board, I'd think it does make sense to build my LiPo pack with a BMS on-board as well. That eliminates complexity somewhat.

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
Any opinions from others?
The charger that came with your bike is most likely adjustable - you'd find 3 trim pots inside it it is.
1st adjusts the voltage (CV), 2nd adjusts charging current (CC) and 3rd the end-of-charge current during the CV stage.

Don't try it if you are not comfortable messing with electronics though :!: the consequences of doing it wrong could be bad

Kepler said:
Full-throttle, seeing you aren't a a Stealth bike owner anymore, no more comments here until you get another one :p. I am seeing a custom Fighter in your future :mrgreen:
Sorry Kepler, couldn't resist..

And sorry to hear about your stack. Is the bike alright?

I bulk charge in parallel (groups of 6S) and then balance (very infrequently) with a battery medic or icharger (normal 6S one will do)
If you don't run the packs right to LVC each time you'll rarely need to balance them. I use buzzers for LVC warning, that's sufficient. Most of the time I don't even bother with that and just set my controller LVC to 3.2v/cell and be back home by the time I've used 90% of the rated pack capacity. But then I fly by the seat of my pants so don't copy me :p I figure if a cell drops suddenly it's going to die soon anyway, and there's no point in a BMS or LVC board tripping your pack every time at 50-70% capacity or what ever the weakest cell can provide. Let it die, replace it and get on with it :p (flames and smoke optional :mrgreen: )

Your charger is most likely adjustable but to what extent is the issue - 58v to 75v might be more than the fine voltage trim allows. You can no doubt do it with more modding to the board but it sounds like that's probably beyond you.

edit: full throttle beat me to it re: the charger

Thanks FullThrottle and Hyena.

Bummer, I had thought voltage selectable power supplies were easier to find/buy than that.

Based on this thread I can see it's not too hard for one of these to be modded to do 2 voltages within my range and be switchable between them.

I'd be happy to pay someone to do this mod for me once I've ordered it. Any takers?

Cheers

Which charger do you have exactly? This thread might help as well. Follow the links to find the schematic, and confirm it is for your charger before you try anything.

Thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26859
Detail web page: http://www.avdweb.nl/solar-bike/electronics/portable-lightweight-lifepo4-ebike-battery-charger-800g.html

If you have the charger I think you have, it should be VR2 that needs adjusting. But as full-throttle said, don't play unless you are confident of what you are doing.

- Adrian

Kepler said:
I was practicing wheelies on mine last week. Managed to mess it up completely and went over the bars. Fell hard and cracked a rib. I think I will leave the wheelies to the younger guys for now :lol:

Ouch- I got kicked in the ribs years ago while "Disrupting the peace" and it took 2 weeks before I could cough without crying....

I have only been game to pull the front wheel of the bomber up 5 or 6 inches at speed (slowly up gutters and over medium-large dogs (small dogs require slight rearward weight transfer)) so as not to injure myself- you are far more skilled than me, I might postphone future attempts, strictly learning from your experience!!

Traditionally, this is where we Victorians mention "Al" and "Lessons" I suppose?

Shame, you won't be able to push the mower for a bit either... bummer, eh?

adrian_sm said:
Which charger do you have exactly? This thread might help as well. Follow the links to find the schematic, and confirm it is for your charger before you try anything.

<span>Thread: <a href="http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26859" class="smarterwiki-linkify">http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26859</a></span>
<span>Detail web page: <a href="http://www.avdweb.nl/solar-bike/electronics/portable-lightweight-lifepo4-ebike-battery-charger-800g.html" class="smarterwiki-linkify">http://www.avdweb.nl/solar-bike/electronics/portable-lightweight-lifepo4-ebike-battery-charger-800g.html</a></span>

If you have the charger I think you have, it should be VR2 that needs adjusting. But as full-throttle said, don't play unless you are confident of what you are doing.

- Adrian

No idea what the one is that came with the bike. It's got no branding, and several checkboxes for different voltages, with the 58.4V being checked. I don't want to mod this one anyway.

On second thoughts, it might just be easier to buy a second charger for the current battery from John, and buy a BMS charger set to the correct voltage when I do my LiPo conversion down the track.

kiqnkf said:
Traditionally, this is where we Victorians mention "Al" and "Lessons" I suppose?
My biggest problem with wheelies is side-to-side balance. Al told me that I need to go faster :roll:

Which is true - 90% of stacks happen when going slower than should be. The other 10% - going too fast (through a corner) or unable to react to something appearing unexpectedly.

Cowardlyduck said:
So I was going to buy a second charger from John so I can charge at work without having to cart my charger every day...BUT.

Since I'm planning on going down the LiPo path anyway, I figured I should just get a charger that can handle the LiPo and the current 58.4V LiFePo4 pack as well.

I realise it's a long shot, but I was hoping to find a charger or solution that can bulk charge 18s, but I realise this might not be possible. Does anyone know of such a charger or charging setup?

I'm still learning lots about LiPo/charging (and getting mighty confused in the process. Man there's a lot of opinionated info out there).

Cheers

It's too easy. Just get the 72v version of this one,http://www.bmsbattery.com/alloy-she...po4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ebike-charger.html

I use this for my 18S lipo bulk charging. Just adjusted it to 75v. A quick tweak with a Multimeter attached and it's back to 58v duties. I will take a picture of the pot to adjust.

full-throttle said:
Kepler said:
Full-throttle, seeing you aren't a a Stealth bike owner anymore, no more comments here until you get another one :p. I am seeing a custom Fighter in your future :mrgreen:
Sorry Kepler, couldn't resist..

And sorry to hear about your stack. Is the bike alright?

No problems. Just a bent crank and a broken mirror ( to go with my broken pride).

I really need to start acting my age. I even thought as I was going over, "all good, this wont hurt a bit. I will just tuck into a ball and roll" instead I just came to a screaming halt shoulder first. Lay there trying to get air back into my lungs and thinking to myself, you idiot. Actually the same coment I got from the misus when I got home :lol:

Back