E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

I just fixed a slow leak in the rear tyre DAM!!! not a lot of fun to get off... Worth it though... Went for a local stealth mission around the neighbourhood arcing up the local doggies!!!

Re: the charger, can't you put a switch on the side,(switch a resistor) or just drill a hole in the case (using a plastic screwdriver, of course) to adjust voltage?

Oh, well. Bones heel up, crank is easily replaced (or bent back) better than damaging the GB. Could've been worse

Came off 3 times last year - had to replace an entire bike and a helmet.. Def don't bounce as used to and it takes longer to heal.

Hyena said:
Cool pics Toby, looks like a nice spot for some bomber bashing too :)
Which motor are you running ? The speed or the torque wind ? I couldn't get the speed wind one to pop the front wheel without really yanking it.

Good to see the video in the snow too, riding in the snow would be so foreign to most of us here in Australia.
Kepler said:
Picture this 51 year old bloke on the throttle with the front going way too high and panic braking to get it down, then the front landing hard followed by involuntarily hitting the throttle again, and now all crossed up. Finally breaking hard again and landing the front wheel completely off balance and its by-bye Kepler over the bars.

Would have been as funny hell to see from a spectators point of view :lol:
John should increase the price $300 and include a mandatory gopro with every sale :lol:
Hope you heal up soon, I've had broken ribs so I know how little fun they can be (not bike related for once, I hit a patch of ice on my first time snow boarding)

My one is the high torque, it tops out around 36mph but have seen 40. The front wheel comes up really easily, it is quite hard to pull away without about an inch of lift and pedalling with a crack of the throttle brings it up. I always ride off road with two fingers on the rear brake as the slightest bump under throttle has the front wheel in the air. This is useful when you see logs in your path.

Kepler said:
It's too easy. Just get the 72v version of this one,http://www.bmsbattery.com/alloy-she...po4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ebike-charger.html

I use this for my 18S lipo bulk charging. Just adjusted it to 75v. A quick tweak with a Multimeter attached and it's back to 58v duties. I will take a picture of the pot to adjust.

I don't need terribly quick charging and wouldn't want to waste my money if I screw it up, so I might get the 400W version to give it a go instead. How hard/easy would it be to make it switchable between voltages on the fly? Also, I noticed they ask for what type of battery you'll be charging when you order. Would this be an issue if I plan on using it for LiPo sometimes and LiFe other times?

I installed some mudguards on my Fighter last night.
http://www.topeak.com/products/Fenders/defender_m3 http://www.topeak.com/products/Fenders/defender_m33

They work well, and on my ride to work this morning, instead of the usual mud/water in the face when I hit the occasional puddle, it was a light spray around the ankles. :)
The front was a mammoth effort to install. I think the hole under the head tube is about 1mm smaller that this front mudguard was designed to fit. But about 1hour of persistent pushing, shoving and hammering eventually got it in there. Now I hope I never need to get it out. :roll:

Cheers

You do realise there's a bolt on those that you tighten and it expands inside the tube ? :lol:
I had one of those and they're good (you can see in in alot of my earlier videos) but one day I noticed it wasn't there anymore so I guess it fell off somewhere while bush bashing. I'd notice if it was on the road so I'm guessing it fell out when landing a jump or somthing offroad.

As for the charger, if you work out what exact resistance you need you could put a switch that switches in that additional resistor to set the voltage accordingly

full-throttle said:
Def don't bounce as used to and it takes longer to heal.
Yeah I've noticed that too, and that was before I got crook.
I came off about 18 months ago, high sided at about 40km/hr and smashed my shin on the handlebars on the way over. Luckily I landed in such a way that I did no other injuries other than wind myself and hit my leg - which swole up in a lump around the size of half a tennis ball. It took months to go down and for a while I thought I'd chipped the bone but it was just a big blood clot in there that took ages to dissolve. 18 months later I still have what looks like a big bruise in the spot - I guess it's there for keeps now ?
Looks like I need to wear shin pads in addition to my upper body armour, gloves and full face helmet :lol:

Hyena said:
You do realise there's a bolt on those that you tighten and it expands inside the tube ? :lol:
I do.
Even with the bolt fully untightened it was a squeeze. The diameter of each section of the round inserts is about 0.5mm larger than the diameter of the downtube. The problem was also when pushing it in, you can't easily push the top half without the bottom half pushing onto it causing it to want to expand as you push it. In the end it got it in by inserting an allen key through the open slot next to the bolt and pushing directly on the top half as hard as I could.

Hyena said:
As for the charger, if you work out what exact resistance you need you could put a switch that switches in that additional resistor to set the voltage accordingly
Wouldn't know how to do that unfortunately. I know it probably seems easy for you guy's, but I've not had much electronics experience and don't really have many tools for this kind of stuff. Hence why I said it might just be easier just to buy the second charger off John, and get one for LiPo down the track.
That being said, I do like learning about this stuff and putting into practice what I learn. So I guess it's just a question of time and money in the end. I think I still need to research this a bit more...

Thanks for all the help guys. :)

Cheers

I fell off the Bomber today, first time, AS SOON AS I GOT TO THE FRANKSTON SKATE PARK!!!! :(

I bloody could NOT believe it, I went from the grass to the concrete (up a 1ft ledge) and promptly fell off the back, on to my ass, grazing my left inner knee. I had just got in, not gone over a jump, not even ridden on the bloody concrete 1 meter. just ENTERING the park I fell off!!!

I took that as a devine message, did 2 laps, and went home!!!! :cry:

SOOOOO many people comment "Is that a motor bike", "it looks like a motor bike", "that's a quiet motor bike".

one young guy said "where is the motor?" I said "Motor? It's a heavy duty downhill mountain bike mate, I wish it had a motor". I think he bought it....

Kepler said:
Get use to the comments and questions. Its all part of being a Stealth bike owner 8)

Tell me about it.

I get comments all the time. People seem to either think its a hard core DH mountain bike or a petrol powered motor bike. :roll:
When I start telling people about it's capabilities they are usually surprised by the range...not that I've seen that much of it yet with my WOT riding. :mrgreen:

The other day I raced some kid on a 110cc pee wee. I forgot to reduce the LVC I had set on the CA from 49V. He beat me...just. :oops: I was gonna go for another run against him, but his dad was there and didn't seem too happy about me racing his kid. :roll:

Cheers

I had an interesting encounter with the Law on the Bomber today. Police had a big spot check blitz on with at least 20 police pulling over nearly every car into the service road for checking. I rode straight through the middle of them all with at least half a dozen of them watching me go by. Not one comment as I rode past, peddaling hard of cause :lol: Must admit, I was a little nerves though.

Added a hydraulic adjustable seat post today. Being quite tall, I need to have the seat post quite high for efficient pedaling but the long travel suspension of the Bomber makes it so I can only just touch the ground when stopped. Being able to quickly lower seat is also really handy when off road so you can comfortably drag a foot when needed.

Attachments

• IMG_1037.JPG
    IMG_1037.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 3,999
  • IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 3,999
  • IMG_1042.JPG
    IMG_1042.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 3,999
Kepler said:
I had an interesting encounter with the Law on the Bomber today. Police had a big spot check blitz on with at least 20 police pulling over nearly every car into the service road for checking. I rode straight through the middle of them all with at least half a dozen of them watching me go by. Not one comment as I rode past, peddaling hard of cause :lol: Must admit, I was a little nerves though.

Weird...

I was cruising down the road in my HQ Monaro a year or so ago - flashing lights, Siren - Ahhh.... SHIT!!!!!

Cop pulled me over, spent 30 minutes looking at my car, and telling me about his L34 Torana!!! We had a great old chat - no ticket!!!

It interests me that NOT ONE of those coppers must have been even remotely interested in bikes - otherwise you would have been forced to have a pleasant conversation I imagine. I have seen 2 cops in 2 days, and neither of them have done anything more than a passing glance - Are they on John's payroll??? :D

The secret must be the pedalling!!!

I figure if any of us end up with a ticket (I will be asking for one) there is no way to prove (in court) that the bike even had a battery in it!!! It can't be electric without electricity. Hear the siren, turn the key off, pull it out. If they take pictures, (which they do in Victoria now) you cannot see the battery with the cover on, and taking the cover off voids my warranty officer!!!

Cool that's not an issue for me being only 5'8 - I actually cut a heap off the stock seat post on my fighter so it didn't hit the frame when the suspension compressed!
Did you stick that stealth logo to the side of your bike or is it a factory CF cut out ? Isn't it backwards ?? (inverted)
Also half your side cover bolts missing ? :lol:

I've encountered a number of cops before, including ones at work I specifically asked what they know and think about electric bikes. They said they don't bother with them as long as you're drawing attention to yourself like knocking old ladies over on the footpath. They said they always pull over the petrol powered ones though. Like this guy that got done today, he got raped!
http://www.facebook.com/notes/det-insp-jobson/man-on-an-engine-propelled-mountain-bike-charged-with-traffic-matters-and-other-/156692154448326
(though he did try to run and had drugs on him too)

The man was observed riding the bike at speeds estimated to be about 50 km/h to 60 km/h. It will be alleged that the bike did not contain a chain, thereby making the biike a motor cycle. The man has been charged with disqualifed rider, ride unregistered vehicle, ride uninsured vehilce

What a hooligan though, fancy doing 50-60km/hr on a mountain bike... :roll: :p

*Hyena whistles as he goes to put the chain on his fighter...* :mrgreen:

Hyena said:
What a hooligan though, fancy doing 50-60km/hr on a mountain bike... :roll: :p

*Hyena whistles as he goes to put the chain on his fighter...* :mrgreen:

:D :D :D And think, Australia does not have the death penalty!!! What will they do to deter other "bicycle hoons"???? :D :D :D

Hyena said:
Cool that's not an issue for me being only 5'8 - I actually cut a heap off the stock seat post on my fighter so it didn't hit the frame when the suspension compressed!

My seat post was so long that it kind of spoilt the lines of the bike too. Now I just drop it down when parked. Looks much better and makes the bike much easier to get on or off.

Did you stick that stealth logo to the side of your bike or is it a factory CF cut out ? Isn't it backwards ?? (inverted)

Its a cut out from the the top of the frames. John just throws them out so I grabbed a couple. Stuck some fake carbon fibre contract on it and attached it with double sided tape. The right hand side looks better as the "S" isn't inverted but it looked wrong on the left side with the "S" not not inverted. Kind of looks more like a lightening bolt then an "S" on the left hand side I think.

Trust you to notice that :p . Cover comes off quite often so I can check individual cell balance and cant be bothered putting all the screws back in. :oops:

Speaking of checking balance, I am now using one of these. http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/sentry/They are brilliant with a heap of features. Such a big improvement over the crap HobbyKing units I have been using. I love the way it shows the remaining capacity as a percentage. Also at a quick glance you know how far the balance is out and which cells are the highest and lowest.

At around $30 it is a must have tool.

Kepler said:
Hyena said:

Trust you to notice that :p . Cover comes off quite often so I can check individual cell balance and cant be bothered putting all the screws back in. :oops:
haha I only noticed because I've only had my fighter 2 weeks and have already lost one!
Have you thought about bringing the wires out to an external balance tap point ? I'm looking at putting a 6 pin bulk charge port under the seat tube supports - seems to be out of muck enough there.

Speaking of checking balance, I am now using one of these. http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/sentry/They are brilliant with a heap of features. Such a big improvement over the crap HobbyKing units I have been using. I love the way it shows the remaining capacity as a percentage. Also at a quick glance you know how far the balance is out and which cells are the highest and lowest.

At around $30 it is a must have tool.
Cool I'll have to look into those. I find cell logs for around half the price do a pretty good job. I've tried one of the hobbyking 8S monitors that displays % remaining and it's hugely inaccurate (and physically way to big for what it does - almost as long as a lipo pack and about half as wide and heigh) If it could be based off amp hour consumption it'd be brilliant but with the sag and varying C rates of different lipo packs it's essentially impossible to accurately determine the true remaining capacity from the voltage along.

Kepler said:
Added a hydraulic adjustable seat post today. Being quite tall, I need to have the seat post quite high for efficient pedaling but the long travel suspension of the Bomber makes it so I can only just touch the ground when stopped. Being able to quickly lower seat is also really handy when off road so you can comfortably drag a foot when needed.

Kepler, you did a good thing! You will really notice the difference. I put a Gravity Dropper on my Fighter early on and it changed the whole nature of the bike. Best thing I did, after getting the Fighter of course.

Here is Toby and his buddies playing in the woods!

Available in all resolutions...watch in HD if you can :D

Enjoy

[youtube]kDCWmq0XVZw[/youtube]

Awesome vid knoxie!

Unexpectedly I run into a SE Bomber owner on the way from work tonight, had a good chat - took me a long time to explain why I sold mine and in exchange he told me a funny story.

Cheers mate although I simply edited the footage, it takes more balls than you might think doesnt it to jump bikes esp at speed as it hurts like hell if you fall off :twisted: yes the Bomber is a great machine however I can see how on the roads it might attract a little attention :p Fighter is much less obvious.

I am going to pop and See Toby and have a go myself will get some more video and some on bike stuff, like I have been saying for a long time, the best off the peg ebike you can buy hands down.

Justtoby said:
Thanks for doing your magic with the video knoxie.

I hope to have some more to come soon. Without the "that sucked" comment at the end!

Ha ha no worries mate any time in fact I will happily edit ebiking video of any kind :D its one of those things, once you start an edit its very hard to stop, I am like that with adobe After Effects and the special effects stuff I do, the first time you have made a bullet hole stick to a car windscreen on some moving video, thats it you will be hooked :lol:

Like you said there was limited footage but I managed to piece it together so it worked in a fashion :) I used to do a lot of jumps on mountain bikes back in the 90s, havent done them for ages although I am pretty sure I will be able to pull some big wheelies after a little bit of practice. :twisted:

Looking forward to doing some more.

Back