Re-winding a hubmotor

Farfle said:
Actually, if I can get her to ride it again I will,

You are a wise man. That girl can ride. (Maybe the first time I've ever said that when talking about a vehicle?)

I think her on that bike will have an extremely good chance of winning.

Farfle said:
And sorry again, I cant get you guys a ride video till the 8" of snow we got last night melts off.
With that motor, I'd expect it to be a nice snowplow. ;)

liveforphysics said:
Farfle said:

You are a wise man. That girl can ride. (Maybe the first time I've ever said that when talking about a vehicle?)

Hehe kind of what I was thinking. ill probably tune it waaaaaaaaaaaay down and race it in the 1500w class for giggles, and so that I can race my boss :twisted: .

Stupid snow!
Is that a re-purposed genesis arm?
Whats the curbweight on that beast?
What tubing did you use?
Bet its plush with that suspension setup.

liveforphysics said:
Farfle said:

I'm sure Danika can drive too, but couldn't manage 2 laps without crashing at Daytona. :lol: If it's just the power to weight advantage, I've got a couple of fearless sub 100 pounders in training already. :mrgreen: I'm only a male chauvinist when it comes to golfing, hunting, and racing.

70mph?!!!!

I think I just made a mess in my pants.

Well done- that's awesome, although my wife will now officially hate you as I am going to announce to her that I need to make a double stator motor too (but probably not quite as awesome as yours!). Have lathe, mill and welder. Time to play!

John in cr say's:
I'm only a male chauvinist when it comes to golfing, hunting, and racing.
What else is there?
:mrgreen:

Finally got a break in the weather, and a chance to get the bike out on the "test track" for a first speed run on camera:

Its not up yet, uploading with the shops slow internet in 1080p...

http://youtu.be/fQEFk64mTto

gensem said:
2 notes...

your upload speed is not great...

is the bicycle wheelie prone?

Ok, re-uploading from home, it failed on my grandmas computer, (damn macs...) And no, its not super wheelie prone, its fairly long, and has the battery mounted as far forward as i could get it, Plus im only running 200 odd phase amps into it, so it will be somewhat wheelie prone at 420 phase amps.

Farfle said:
gensem said:
2 notes...

your upload speed is not great...

is the bicycle wheelie prone?

Ok, re-uploading from home, it failed on my grandmas computer, (damn macs...) And no, its not super wheelie prone, its fairly long, and has the battery mounted as far forward as i could get it, Plus im only running 200 odd phase amps into it, so it will be somewhat wheelie prone at 420 phase amps.

You see what a longer swing arm does... with a regular cromotor that has alot less torque compared to a dual pie... 100v with anything over 120a phase on my mtb frame and you have to be very carefull to not do a wheelie and thats with 12kg of batteries over the handle bar.

420 phase! :shock: :shock: :shock:

video is 94% done, heres some pics. ELECTRIC SNOMOBICYCLE!

100_0049.jpg

That bike is snow sexy.

puns aside, why 24" wheels over 17" motorcycle wheels? I know it's a 15lb weight difference or so, but damn I get nervous making turns on rough roads with only hookworms/cyclops.

great vid. congratulations farfle!

Farfle and I had a long conversation on the phone tonight about his bike and we think we made some interesting discoveries but it's his project so I'll let him post the info. We think we have a pretty good working simulation of this setup now, but it's yet to be determined that everything is accurate.

So, couple different things... First off, the motor is actually 13.8 kv, not 11.6, :shock: :shock: second, the shunt value on this controller is off by half, so instead of 1.080, Its .504 mohm. And lastly, im gonna have to do an emergency trade to a 20 inch wheel and a pirelli, which means a longer shock in the, back to preserve the geometry.

Farfle said:
Yeah, the peaks of 75a, were actually peaks of 150 amps :shock:
Thats a uber low shunt value. What controller and shunt are you running?

Farfle said:
The controller is a steveo built 24 feet with 8 shunts.

Once we figured that part along with the estimated Kv, everything else started to fall in line with the simulator and make sense. Makes me wonder how you measured the shunt and got 1.0 mOhm in the first place, must have just been a math error... much like the simple math I was unable to do without assistance tonight. Just not my night for doing math in my head, but I at least remembered 1 shunt is supposed to be 4 mOhm.

Now... more video, side boob shot style from a stationary point as you fly by around 70mph.

If you relace that motor into a 20" bmx / 16" moped wheel it's going to be nuts, more acceleration, draws less amps and you only give up about 7mph of top speed.

Back