I agree 100% with Luke on that. ^
So I finally got around to upgrading Clown Bike:
- I started with tightening up the front hydro brake, which now stops like a champ. Along with the drum brake, Im no longer worried at all... and I will be adding regen braking this afternoon.
- Next, I replaced the stock 11G phase wires with 8G, but only down to the axle... I was too lazy to open the motor and stuff wires through the axle.
The stator gets decent airflow anyhow.
- Then, I added another 12p of more fresh konions on top of the existing pack. Again, this was the easiest
way to increase capacity and current capability. I had thought about LiPo addition or A123 replacement, but settled on more konions, because they were already in 20s strings, and I found a way to fit them. Clown has a new, more interesting look
- Lastly, I installed the stock Leo 36fet controller with 4110s, and calibrated the CA accordingly.
The result is HOLY COW
I came back from the first test ride with the biggest shit-eating-grin on my face. I had pulled 2 power wheelies at the red lights in front of everyone waiting for the bus (rather smooth ones in fact), even with leaning forward in preparation. I have since learned to barely ease into the twitchy throttle, because with the short swingarm, it will wheelie from a dead stop with only quarter throttle or so.
Today I took it for the first true test ride. I cruised down the highway for 5 miles or so, then came back to town, and went up the waterfall route from the video. I stopped periodically to check temperatures of the controller, motor, and phase wires.
I am pleased to say with this 27km test, that the controller was always cool to the touch. The motor and phases were pretty warm at the very top of the waterfall climb, but I could keep my fingers on the spoke flange, side covers, and phases wires forever. So, not hot enough to make me worry.
And what everyone is waiting for... the numbers!
Top speed measured by GPS on the highway, 58.4 mph. I did not bomb down the mountain like in the video, for safety's sake, or that top speed would have been much higher. Also, there were a lot of cars and motos on the highway this morning, so I couldn't achieve a true
top speed. My pack was also sagging to 75v on the highway, so with a LiPo extender (anti-sag) pack, I am confident Clown would break 60mph on flat ground in full tuck. Keep in mind this motor is in a 18.75" OD wheel.
Max Battery Current on the ride: 134A. This controller is a beast.
Min Voltage was 70V, so a very conservative Max Power of 9.38kW. It was likely somewhere around 10kW.
Average climb speed up the waterfall hill was 35mph, but that's only because I was riding much more conservatively. The next video will do better than that. Clown OWNED the 30% grade at speed, like it was nothing.
I attached the GPS Altitude Profile from the test run here.
Video and pics coming very soon, possibly tomorrow.