Prodeco Phantom X first 40 miles

Please correct me if I'm wrong kayselters and I'm not tryin to hate on you but this your first post in a Prodeco thread. I find it hard to believe that you never said one word about these bikes until now. I see you own a 4K E+ once more I find it hard to believe you would buy any Prodeco bike. Then you tell us you has two stop running but say nothing about the warranty. Now I'm buying one of these bikes because I know nothing about ebikes but you seem to know a bit about this hobby but say nothing about fixing your bikes:? Who's at fault here Prodeco :?: Please tell us how

Ok Im pretty annoyed because I just spent an hour typing up the response, only to have the window close and lose everything..
Im too annoyed to reptype everything. Let me summarize.

First, you can find it hard to believe or not, but I own an E+ and (two) ProDeco's (1 functioning) so guests can ride at my summer house and go on short commutes with the bikes to stores or whatever. I ride the E+ -- I wanted a real E-bike that would last -- and I unfortunately lack the skills to build one .... The Prodecos are pretty rider friendly --- good for my mom to the younger cousins, so I've had them for ease of access and price point. They are a deal..and it is hard to see how they are making a profit. But that is neither here nor there. As for my bikes, a disclaimer, I'm not getting into a war of ownership and why I havent posted before etc. I haven't posted before about Prodeco's because they have never ever ever blown my away. They are functional, like my vacuum, but not the kind of E-bike experience you get with some of the bikes people build here or the E+ for that matter. If you dont believe me, or trust my review, ignore me. I could care less.

Bike one (Storm) (250W) - complete motor failure after 6-7 months riding (approx 350 miles) (began with occasional noise that came back intermittently, then changed to noise only during accelleration then motor stopped working one day while traversing hill). As for Prodecos answer, this happened over the summer, I have the bike at my summer house and while I have contacted ProDeco, it took them a while to agree to pay for shipping (because apparently I should have called the first time I heared any noise whatsoever). (I didn't agree, considering bikes make all sorts of noises and this wasnt consistent by any means).... I have not shipped the bike yet, I may or may not do it this summer. The bike isnt veyr powerful and I'm thinking of replacing it ----

Bike two (Mariner S) (200W) - no motor problems as of yet--- build quality laughable. (Disclaimer: Prodeco also offered %10 off because I was a previous owner and bitched so much about the storm) ---- 205LB rider (friend) - dismantled the seat lock mechanism by just riding .... and the wheel rim (although it is listed as triple-wall etc) has begun to show a wobble. I am replacing some of these parts and expect it to ride well with a real rim. I have not heard any of the motor noises that killed the storm yet, but this bike doesnt even have 200 miles on it yet. So far, mediocre build quality but a nice ride for what it is, short stop errands and get around town bike.

Ultimately, I won't even compare the E+ and the Proteco. They arent in the same class, neither in price, nor quality and build. The E+ is one of my favorite ebikes I have ever ridden, although if I could afford it I would be riding a stealth bomber. However, I will say that the Prodeco is a bargain, and if you take care of your bike and replace some individual parts, you very well may have a bike that will last you. Unfortunately, with my first two bikes, I have had some negative experiences. To be fair, I still bought two of these bikes because they are great for guests and the price is great --- also, owning one crappy product doesnt mean the company can't improve. I test drove the Mariner at a local store and I liked it enough to give it another try.

I'll keep y'all posted.

kaysellters said:
Ok Im pretty annoyed because I just spent an hour typing up the response, only to have the window close and lose everything..
Im too annoyed to reptype everything. Let me summarize.

First, you can find it hard to believe or not, but I own an E+ and (two) ProDeco's (1 functioning) so guests can ride at my summer house and go on short commutes with the bikes to stores or whatever. I ride the E+ -- I wanted a real E-bike that would last -- and I unfortunately lack the skills to build one .... The Prodecos are pretty rider friendly --- good for my mom to the younger cousins, so I've had them for ease of access and price point. They are a deal..and it is hard to see how they are making a profit. But that is neither here nor there. As for my bikes, a disclaimer, I'm not getting into a war of ownership and why I havent posted before etc. I haven't posted before about Prodeco's because they have never ever ever blown my away. They are functional, like my vacuum, but not the kind of E-bike experience you get with some of the bikes people build here or the E+ for that matter. If you dont believe me, or trust my review, ignore me. I could care less.

Bike one (Storm) (250W) - complete motor failure after 6-7 months riding (approx 350 miles) (began with occasional noise that came back intermittently, then changed to noise only during accelleration then motor stopped working one day while traversing hill). As for Prodecos answer, this happened over the summer, I have the bike at my summer house and while I have contacted ProDeco, it took them a while to agree to pay for shipping (because apparently I should have called the first time I heared any noise whatsoever). (I didn't agree, considering bikes make all sorts of noises and this wasnt consistent by any means).... I have not shipped the bike yet, I may or may not do it this summer. The bike isnt veyr powerful and I'm thinking of replacing it ----

Bike two (Mariner S) (200W) - no motor problems as of yet--- build quality laughable. (Disclaimer: Prodeco also offered %10 off because I was a previous owner and bitched so much about the storm) ---- 205LB rider (friend) - dismantled the seat lock mechanism by just riding .... and the wheel rim (although it is listed as triple-wall etc) has begun to show a wobble. I am replacing some of these parts and expect it to ride well with a real rim. I have not heard any of the motor noises that killed the storm yet, but this bike doesnt even have 200 miles on it yet. So far, mediocre build quality but a nice ride for what it is, short stop errands and get around town bike.

Ultimately, I won't even compare the E+ and the Proteco. They arent in the same class, neither in price, nor quality and build. The E+ is one of my favorite ebikes I have ever ridden, although if I could afford it I would be riding a stealth bomber. However, I will say that the Prodeco is a bargain, and if you take care of your bike and replace some individual parts, you very well may have a bike that will last you. Unfortunately, with my first two bikes, I have had some negative experiences. To be fair, I still bought two of these bikes because they are great for guests and the price is great --- also, owning one crappy product doesnt mean the company can't improve. I test drove the Mariner at a local store and I liked it enough to give it another try.

I'll keep y'all posted.

we are talking about Prodeco Phantom X....

how old are yours?

mybe they didnt work out well for the same reason your window closed on ya :shock:

you sound like one of the 1%...

summer house?

how much was your e+ ?

kayselters Thanks for your Prodeco reviews also Thanks for your environment work and efforts. I spend my days reading about water, trees and energy all because I want to help save frogs, amphibians. I'm sure you know about this but frogs are on the decline big time Up to 200 species have completely disappeared since 1980, and this is NOT normal: amphibians naturally go extinct at a rate of only about one species every 250 years. Dr. Kerry Kriger and Save the Frogs is America's first and only public charity dedicated to protecting the world’s amphibians. It's slow but it's working I see little kids he is teaching that know way more about this then me or quite possible anyone on this these forums. Anyways it's my duty to spread the word.

Before this thread gets tooooooo far off topic, I am going to clean it up a bit, and try to move a few posts to the Biker bar... where the politics and ad hominum discussions can continue... I'll likely mess up on that transfer however, as I have never successfully done it, and loose a few posts :mrgreen: ... enjoy!

Big moose - i was responding to a question asked here -- i provided my honest response -- and MAgneto decided that he was unhappy with it -- so he said some things, i said some things, and here we are...onto the phantom.

but nice attempt at making me look like Dr. EVIL :)

Kay, raaatttss. I thought I had cut and pasted part of your technical review back into this post. I again messed up...

I wanted to move all the other "stuff" to the bikers bar. I edited the above quote to remove the "stuff" and cleaned up a bit more of the thread. When I re read it this morning, I was like "why did I post that back in?..." That was not the intent.

Thanks for catching this!

keyselter.

Great review.
Is your Prodeco completely silent or it whine do other noises?
I was trying to identify source for Prodeco motors but never got any answer.
How smooth is it comparing with Eplus?
Also how modulated is Prodeco throttle comparing with Eplus ??
As linear as Eplus or rather on-off type?
Thank you for your review also
T

Hi Miro -- considering both my Prodeco bikes are 200-250W and my E+ is 1000, it's not quite as comparable -- firstly, with the throttle itself, the Prodeco is not just on/off, and provides control on how much power you really want to give -- but 250W is not a lot of power so I often end up using most of it to keep me at a brisk pace.

As for the throttle control you have with the E+, and the controller/computer are really finely tuned as you know. I can ride on level 7 on my E+ to have fast power when I need it but only consume level 2-3 power the entire time through careful throttling. The E+ computer is what makes the bike what it is for me and allows for this superb throttle control -- for what it is, the Prodeco gets the job done well, its just n ot really a comparison.

I dont ride my Prodecos the same way -- usually I am using most of the throttle while riding - and in my opinion it is more of a constant power source helping you keep up a steady cruising speed rather than a variable tool I am constantly adjusting. Im sure that everyone drives it differently and so this is just a personal opinion.

As for noise, when the Prodeco is running properly, there are no loud or annoying noises -- that only happened to me when I had a broken motor.

also super low center of gravity on E+ system provides super stability of ride, I can lean on turns , stand up often on pedals to add even more to already excellent acceleration. In contrast Pedego battery is high up and as one reviwer wrote all weight isin the back - battery, motor, lagguage.
Yes, I agree E+ is in different category in terms of refinment and electronics.
E+ is software controlled/driven system , Pedego is the most probably China controller/motor brand system analog with maybe sofware in controller only.

Loving Phantom X. Just did ride 8 miles in 30 mph wind. And 8 cross wind. Still have juice. I'm 230 lbs. 16 plus 2 mile around park. Worth every dime.

tmc1473 said:
Loving Phantom X. Just did ride 8 miles in 30 mph wind. And 8 cross wind. Still have juice. I'm 230 lbs. 16 plus 2 mile around park. Worth every dime.
tmc1473 Me too. Have had my PX for five weeks and have put on about 200 miles, all of which has been of-road........................a blast.......great commends about the bike from the other mountain bikers I come across..........Bob

Bob, thank you for your input on the Phantom X. I'm interested in buying either the Phantom X or X2. I live in Boxford, and since you mentioned that you rode in areas I'm familiar with, I assume that you live nearby. My research has me excited about the Phantom bikes, but I'd dearly love to talk to you and see one of the Prodeco bikes firsthand before I buy the product. If this works for you, I'd be happy to hear from you. Alan Tucker

Just received Prodeco Phantom x 2012. It doesn't have the torque that I expected. If I give it full throttle it shuts off. The bike is made very well, but as I said it just doesn't have the power.

Alan T said:
Bob, thank you for your input on the Phantom X. I'm interested in buying either the Phantom X or X2. I live in Boxford, and since you mentioned that you rode in areas I'm familiar with, I assume that you live nearby. My research has me excited about the Phantom bikes, but I'd dearly love to talk to you and see one of the Prodeco bikes firsthand before I buy the product. If this works for you, I'd be happy to hear from you. Alan Tucker
Alan,

I live in Peabody and will be in Willowdale this weekend. If you'd like to check it out let me know.

Hi Bob,That would be great! I've located you in the phonebook, so I hope you won't mind if I give you a call Fri. (today). My son who lives in Topsfield is a bike enthusiast, and he's interested in my bike search, too, although he's busier than I am. I definately want to see your Phantom X and pick your brain. Thanks, Alan

:?: Can anyone please give me an idea of top speed on flat while peddling. I know the page says 30mph but that page says a lot of stuff I don't buy. Thanks in advance

Frog said:
:?: Can anyone please give me an idea of top speed on flat while peddling. I know the page says 30mph but that page says a lot of stuff I don't buy. Thanks in advance

More like 20 mph on flat, paved, surface.

Bob

R.Stevens said:
Frog said:

More like 20 mph on flat, paved, surface.

Bob

I thought peddling would take well over 20mph to something like 23-25mph.

That sounds about right -- it is 500W right??

I set my E+ 7502.0 on power 4(from 9) tonight - that limits the wattage to about 550-700 (which is right about what the prodeco is probably getting) -- and i hit 24mph with little to no wind so that sounds about right. I can usually get right about 10mph over that if i set it to power 7-9.

Bikes about two years old, still great range even with the non-lipos. I got in 29 miles yesterday cruising 19mph avg. Still had a bar left. Saw a prodeco x the other day and thought the design looks even better in person than in the pics.

keyseller,
E+ achives those speeds while powered by high resistance 30S /!!!!/ Nickel battery, very few ebike use.
Imagine what it would achive powered by 36V A123 20Ah cell battery?
No need for crazy voltage increases to achive speed and it still delivers 85 Newtonmeter of torque on 36Volts!!!!
Eplus -perfect balance of torque and speed.
NMH 30S battery discharge curve is quite misarable I must imagine with voltage drop increasing .
E+ controller is amazing , efficiency of system , several times I found myself crusing with zero wind at 20km/h using just 100W at power level one.
9 power levels allows you to economize battery to great extend, no other ebake has this.

Back