Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

Bummer, so they have!

HobbyKing Sydney said:
STORE CLOSED. RELOCATING TO LARGER SPACE
I wonder if they'll still be near by, like a big factory in taren pt or somewhere further way ?
Hopefully near by so I can sponge the resources of their RC flyers :lol:
I still get all my gear delivered from the NSW warehouse, their heads almost exploded when I asked them for half a dozen 6S lipo packs last time I was there :lol:

Yeah, I went in there a little while ago and asked for lipo. Guy pulled out a brick for about twice the price listed on the website. I held up my smartphone web browser (like a wanker) and said I was after "these" pointing to the 8000mAh stuff. he was all like "nah, dude, we're trying to compete with the online warehouse." so I left... I don't think he quite understands the term "compete", it's like trying to win a horse race by putting four jockeys on your ride!

So, you like stealth electric bikes ?
How about this stealthy electric bike 8)

mlo1d.jpg

As I posted previously the original forks and shock are gone in favour of these which with give 100mm travel each. The motor isn't fitted yet obviously, not sure if I'll go with a mac for maximum stealth and around 2kw or a modded 9C style DD for around 5kw. This will be my general every day ride so I'll probably go with the 5kw option so I can still mix it up with traffic confidently when necessary. This has capacity for a 10ah 18S pack but with teh slightest tweeks to the frame (which I didn't do initially to save work for Paul) it could easily hold another 3 packs in the top tube for a 15ah pack. A 5kw urban assault bike with a 1 kilowatt hr battery pack with that side profile ? Yeah, I know :twisted:

Pending how things go with my health (the all important scan that determines if the first round of chemo has been sucessful or not is next week) I'd like to have something very simliar to this made on a larger scale, but from scratch so without the obvious frame joins. That said Timma has done a great job (as always!) with this one and I can't wait to get it painted up. Once it's painted and has a few stickers on it to make it look commercial I reckon it'll be killer. Don't anyone try and buy it off me because I'll want a fortune for it to bankroll larger scale production :p
I really like the phasor frame but it's still stands out too much for my liking. For me somthing that maintains as much of the hollow triangle as possible to keep it looking like a bicycle is important.

Hyena said:
that hyena's been on a diet! or been to the gym? just look at the abs on her... nevermind. :lol:

once painted it'll look like a fancy carbon frame, from the side at least, which is all that counts?

very nice.

Hyena said:
So, you like stealth electric bikes ?

mlo1d.jpg

As I posted previously the original forks and shock are gone in favour of these which with give 100mm travel each. The motor isn't fitted yet obviously, not sure if I'll go with a mac for maximum stealth and around 2kw or a modded 9C style DD for around 5kw. This will be my general every day ride so I'll probably go with the 5kw option so I can still mix it up with traffic confidently when necessary. This has capacity for a 10ah 18S pack but with teh slightest tweeks to the frame (which I didn't do initially to save work for Paul) it could easily hold another 3 packs in the top tube for a 15ah pack. A 5kw urban assault bike with a 1 kilowatt hr battery pack with that side profile ? Yeah, I know :twisted:

Pending how things go with my health (the all important scan that determines if the first round of chemo has been sucessful or not is next week) I'd like to have something very simliar to this made on a larger scale, but from scratch so without the obvious frame joins. That said Timma has done a great job (as always!) with this one and I can't wait to get it painted up. Once it's painted and has a few stickers on it to make it look commercial I reckon it'll be killer. Don't anyone try and buy it off me because I'll want a fortune for it to bankroll larger scale production :p
I really like the phasor frame but it's still stands out too much for my liking. For me somthing that maintains as much of the hollow triangle as possible to keep it looking like a bicycle is important.

I reckon go with the mac... the lack of power might be a bit underwhelming but on the other hand it'll be truly stealth... No one will guess from the side that its not a normal bike.

All the best for the scan mate. you know we're all rootin for ya...

power power power power power

I like my MAC but if you're used to power.............

I reckon the best scenario for a MAC is in a nice light frame, smallish battery pack to keep weight down and make a decent commuter. If you want to do silly things and go off road then you'll want more power. Or make the mac mid drive.... :shock:

andynogo said:
power power power power power

I like my MAC but if you're used to power.............

I reckon the best scenario for a MAC is in a nice light frame, smallish battery pack to keep weight down and make a decent commuter. If you want to do silly things and go off road then you'll want more power. Or make the mac mid drive.... :shock:

This and 2000+ Watts and you will have more climbing power than you ever had! LOL!

That frame and a custom bracket welded to the bottom of the down tube would be clean and you have ample room down there too!

Whiplash said:
This and 2000+ Watts and you will have more climbing power than you ever had! LOL!
That frame and a custom bracket welded to the bottom of the down tube would be clean and you have ample room down there too!
Yeah I'd love to see a mac on there at some stage but I'll probably go with a conventional rear wheel hub for now as getting all the frame set up correctly will be work enough in itself without playing with mid drive mounts as well. If only someone did all the hard work and I could just copy / buy parts from them... :wink:

shorza said:
Soooo..... where can i buy one?
If things go to plan, they'll be available exclusively through hyena electric bikes before the year is out :mrgreen: It'll be a pretty major undertaking though so no promises. I'll make a mild steel prototype of the whole frame first before moving on to a small production run out of cromo. If there's interest there I will do a larger run and then start looking at mid drive options. I might even start with a hardtail first for simplicity. Not that the suspension design needs be particularly complicated but it's one less thing to worry about getting spot on intially. The large flat down tube section will easily facilitate additional battery packs too - for those who want longer range and aren't as concerned with maintaining the stealthy profile (controller moved to the underside of the down tube) Maybe even an internal controller too, with the case removed and it heatsinked direct to the frame. Plenty of options :)

Watch this space, but when the time comes I'll post a for sale thread with early adopting ES members getting a good discount for up front deposits to help with the setup costs

Mmmm. I like. I like.
2000W sounds like a lot to me considering what I'm used to!
Nice and stealthy esp with the obligatory 200W sticker.
Will watch with interest.

I mix pretty well with city traffic on my Mac at 1000w. 2000w would be no question enough. If we're talking big steep hills, then yeah I'm not doing 30 up them, but you could on 2000w or so.

I haven't ridden a 5kw DD, so maybe I shouldn't talk. If you have 40-50mph traffic, then that might be another story. But 30-35mph traffic is easy to match on 2kw I would imagine. I hear the Mac is noticeably better on acceleration and hills than a DD, watt for watt.

watt for watt maybe, but a DD can take 5kw off the line and launch away where a mac can't. So really, unless you're limited to low C rate cells or a small capacity pack you're trying to be economical with I still reckon you're better off with a DD. Geared hubs aren't bad though and something like the mac certainly performs well for commuting at 1000-2000w.

Unless you want to surprise motorbikes. Like this... :lol:

[youtube]QijG7LfuWv0[/youtube]

Haha, nice vid. What did he say?

There's definitely a difference between just keeping up with traffic, and being able to maneuver through it more safely with that kind of power on tap.

I can't remember exactly what he said now - he flipped up his visor and looked over the bike back and forth and said something like "what is it? what powers it ?"

yeah riding along with traffic is one thing but when you have to merge with it or change lanes to make a right turn or something (left turn for you yanks) it helps to have the power on tap. Also in the governments wisdom they have bike paths everywhere now, which is great but sooner or later they all run out, often abruptly so you go from minding your own business in your own little lane to suddenly having to merge with faster moving traffic so it's actually safer to have a burst of power when needed

I had a good ride today. I went back out to the 'bad lands' that I've posted previously and was able to hit it up at much higher speed on my fighter due to the suspension (too rough and bumpy to take at speed on my hardtail)

It's a 10km ride there so I kept the speed down to around 30km/hr to save as much power as possibly for blasting around. The result was only 2ah used to get there which is pretty good. Based on this economy if taking it easy I could get up to 90km range from my pack! Once there and nailing it around my CA showed double that figure 2 minutes later :lol:

On the way back I came across a few dirt bikes so rode with them for a bit - until they stalled and then later got stuck in steep rock/muddy part of the track so I triumphantly went on without them :p
I also came across an athletics track that no one was using so just HAD to cut a few quick laps.
Here's a vid of that until I get around to editing the rest

[youtube]8mnKW9t41lM[/youtube]

Sweet Jay, sweet.

That fighter is the dogs do da's :mrgreen:
cant wait for the rougher footage, you sir, rock 8)

D

Scruffoid said:
Mate isnt it always anti clockwise around the running tracks :lol:
lol. that what i always thought. i only remember from my high school track days. :lol:

i always wanted to try riding on a track like that. how was the ride like on the track hyena? ive always ran on on one and i remember them being really springy and grippy.

Thanks guys, coming across it was a nice bonus on my ride through the bush. Luckily there was no one using it at the time, I would have felt a bit bad weaving in and out around the runners :lol:

knoxie said:
yes awesome! think you should drop it in to the stealth owners thread too buddy :D
Done! I actually thought of your old vid knoxie while I was zooming around. I was only there for 5 mins tops but wondered how long it'd be before someone can and told me off.

def215 said:
how was the ride like on the track hyena? ive always ran on on one and i remember them being really springy and grippy.
Hard to say, I didn't actually get off the bike - just leaned one foot down to put the camera on the ground a few times. It wasn't noticably grippy or springy on the bike. I'm running big knobby 3" tyres on the back at low PSI so they're very grippy anyway for most offroad stuff but I wasn't pushing it too hard, I opened it up on the straights but I didn't want to corner too hard with them incase they let go. I noticed afterwards that the knobs on the edges were red so they must have been digging in a little with the low pressure. It'd certainly be faster with hookworms or similar at higher pressure. 70km/hr is fast enough anyway :p

The next video of scooting around in the dirt is uploading now. Alot of it was quite rough but it doesn't really show in the footage and the suspension smoothed alot of it out (which is good!)
I only had the handlebar mount so the other angles were with the camera just sitting on the ground. The shots that look like helmet or chest mounts were actually shot with the camera shoved in my mouth and gripped with my teeth!! In the slower shots you can hear me breathing but you don't here it in any of the included footage because the wind noise is louder. Although only small I was concious when landing jumps not to bite down :lol:

The upload is showing 1.5hrs to go but here's the link (if you see an image below it's finshed uploading)

[youtube]ULtZRGIQdCE[/youtube]

Awesome video again jay! that bike of yours is super steady over the rough stuff, you would swear you were watching a motocross bike ripping around there, i could watch videos like these all day mate superb job :D a really good advert for stealth even though this is really a hyena industries stealth :mrgreen:

Back