GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

Skippic said:
I think it was Charlie :mrgreen:
2years and 2 months, the kid doesn't stop. all day long. the weather's been nice so after dinner, we hit the park. wed night i took the gopro.... :lol:
[youtube]fD0itkjdTJk[/youtube]

:) Go Charlie, looks like theres enough room for a couple of turnigy packs under his scoot? :lol:

D

LOL! I always thought a friction drive on one of those little scoots would be a blast! LOL!

I can't believe that in a year my daughter will be that crazy!!

No, I have not keeping up a build thread and I am build a Farfie inspiration Genesis V2100 with the custom extended arm waiting for my cromotor coming next week. I would post new build thread when it complete. 8)

I still riding same old Tidalforce ebike with 9c motor. Anyways, Have you ever ride dbaker's cromotor ebike yet?

GCinDC said:
chroot said:
I can't wait 2 cromotors coming for me next week.
are you keeping up a build thread? what donor bike?

charlie's having a good year:
[youtube]BXjiPemQ85Q[/youtube]

playing catch up - here's a boring vid of the late night. don't waste your time. i'd edit it, but there's nothing there. took forever to make and way too big, unless you just love garages...
[youtube]D7Gq2jxF5_k[/youtube]
at the end i installed at 44t chainring. hot dog!

and the next morning i hopped on it to a symphony of grinding sounds...

so i took apart motor and examined for rubbing. hall wires untouched. the one is fat cause i'd spliced in sensor leads...
IMG_4861.JPG
some shrink tube inside got rubbed. stop the press. somebody call a doctor.

this evening we were going on a family bike ride to picnic by the kenwood cherry blossoms. but the GT was failing. odd power surges here and there. and i misplaced the trailerbike hitch to pull son. so i got home with an hour to try to fix up the dh comp. i whipped the motor back together and hooked up the sensorless controller:'
[youtube]MxtoSOCzclg[/youtube]

30 min to go, i tossed it on the bike, spun fine. tightened everything up. then horrible rubbing. snowchyld was right: metal on metal was a screw head hitting the caliper. i had tried to get away w/o a washer inside the dropout adapter, and when i did a final axle nut tighten, i must have pushed the calipers just enough to rub the motor! that explains that.

i think a hall is down too, but having a rear brake will make up for going sensorless.

so i added a washer, put the bike back together. but not in time for the picnic!

my wife took off hauling two kids and i had to drive. or did i? i had another 10 min, and realized there'd be no place to park, so whacked on the controller, put the rest of the bike together, tested it in the alley, and then took off with son in front of, his feet on my feet.

a couple miles on the bike path without pedaling once. :mrgreen:

so yeah, emil, if we get a break in the weather this weekend, let's race. :twisted:

Skippic said:
I'm charging my battery to 4.3V :mrgreen:
you'll have the start advantage w/ sensored controller, and i'm inquiring from lyen how to get my speed switch working cause there's no connector for it and it's stuck on 2, so you may have a chance... you may have to pedal tho. :lol:

Greg, what do you mean spped switch? on the 12 fet sensorless (im looking to hook mine up immenently)

D

deecanio said:
Greg, what do you mean spped switch?
meth and lyen sell as bell/whistle for $15. allows 25% 50% 100% throttle, for switch settings 1,2,3. (controller settings are programmable - hyena programs sp 3 to 120% i think :twisted: )

i set to 1 to conserve batt when super low and go max 20mph @ 500W. handy therefore if you get stopped... :mrgreen:

came into vogue hereabouts?

ta, more reading to do then!

D

GCinDC said:
thanks! it's a nice size compared to MW. maybe time to order TWO. :mrgreen:

i might be a bit concerned about charge rate for my old lipo pack. one cell has been dragging, so i gotta keep a close eye on balance there... thanks! maybe now i won't charge like a girl.
I really hope that was you g***r( 64) on ebay who bought one at Mar-23-12 08:23:46 PDT
because right now they are all gone :shock: I wonder who could buy the rest 10+ of them?

GCinDC said:
as a matter of fact, that was me. :mrgreen:
wanted to try one first since there was no break in shipping two. perhaps i should have got two after all..
I`m glad you are lucky :mrgreen:
considering your ~700wh pack i doubt you will ever want 2nd to use them in series :)
However you still can ask your friend dbaker if he have one spare in case you decide to leave one at work and the second one at home. That was the way it worked for me.

anyway to make it 41.5v you will need to short the pin D1 to the pin A3
and to make it power on the pin B3 should be connected to A3
after it powered on, you can use voltmeter to adjust the pot on the top of the case to the exact voltage you want.

I believe the following picture will explain where to solder AC-in(P1-P2) and DC out(P4=positive and P5=negative) wires :)
and do not forget to use at least 12awg :idea: wires for DC output - I tried 14awg initially and those were hot to touch after 2-3 minutes of use, So I replaced mine to 12awg.

car1248pinout1.png

andreym said:
the following picture will explain where to solder AC-in(P1-P2) and DC out(P4=positive and P5=negative) wires
andrey, you make it too easy for the other 10! :mrgreen: thanks, i will need this soon!

that is: IF i get ONE ebike running. both are DOWN right now. i'm so mad, frustrated and embarrassed.

GT i drive:
- halls & phase wires test beautifully on ebike tester (get one if you don't have one)
- tried TWO identical working controllers, same problems - wheel spins but with no power whatsoever, and (slowly) at different speeds using speed switch!
- i've never seen anything like this.
- 83V everywhere
- perhaps the magura throttle line? maybe the inline resistor broke. i'll test a diff controller. that may explain random pulsing i had last week.
- or, maybe a rat crawled in the motor after charlie loosened the sidecover? i can test with another motor...
ok, that's a plan of action at least. less mad now.

DH COMP
Skippic said:
I'm charging my battery to 4.3V
enjoying the island?? :mrgreen: i wished we could have raced - that way this controller could have lived for longer than TWO rides! :oops: :x

- a hall is dead - or more likely shorted somewhere on the axle - that white plastic woven sheath is shredded near the bearing, so it was surprising it ran on friday
- but on Saturday, i poked the programming connector with multimeter probes and probably ruined the chip - :x
- that's just a suspicion. i was trying to find a 5V source for my temp sensor, and since there wan't a speed switch connector. one connector gave 5V between the black and other wires, but later lyen reminded me that was the programming connector when i asked him how to solder to the board to add a speed switch connector. might as well build up the bike right and do the proper upgrades. so i popped the controller, added the speed switch, but could not get the bike to run after that! even w/ speed switch disconnected. and something smelled a bit funny. :shock:

i may have blown the chip. i'm going to try to program it next, to see if it's alive.

if not, i'll be pretty pissed, as this destructive streak is getting out of hand.

i hopped on my road bike to commute this morning, but the gears are broken.
headbashwall.gif

Yea GC.... I can totally relate. I had problem after problem with my ebike this weekend and I'm still not back on the road after investing at least 20hours into it.

I'm feeling frustrated and defeated... but I understand that this is all part of the process. I'll try again tonight or tomorrow!

Good luck getting your bikes back on the road.

it's been a while since i programmed a controller. from a bit of research i've learned:
- cool XPD: open-source keywin e-bike lab replacement doesn't support new EB3 boards
- the EB212 programming cable different wiring scheme than EB312's

so now it's up to priority mail. :lol:

and if i'm bored tonight, i can rebuild DH Comp with 9x7 fatty M/C wheel and sensored controller. :D maybe even try to solve rear brake alignment issues... 8)

As for the GT w/ sensored motor, its the old CA. Won't come on and when connected the wheel spins at anemic ~25 percent.

When CA disconnected the motors spin fine. New CA works fine when connected.

Either way I'll be riding an ebike to work tomorrow, with or without CA.

monster wheel back in, brake on. slight rubbing, a bit noisy. i might add another thin washer inside dropout adapter but the frame is already stretched more than i'd like. :roll:
View attachment 2
back together and ready to rock.
20120326_214050.jpg
the gopro mount. finally upgraded cell phone (galaxy blaze 4G), better quality pics :wink:
View attachment 3
and working GPS... :D the ride is so smooth on that M/C wheel, but damned if i can't go more than 30mph... :|
33mphmax.jpg

update:
..all great stuff. now i just have to remember to bring my battery charger to work next time. doh! :roll:

GCinDC said:
monster wheel back in, brake on. slight rubbing, a bit noisy. i might add another thin washer inside dropout adapter but the frame is already stretched more than i'd like. :roll:
the gopro mount. finally upgraded cell phone (galaxy blaze 4G), better quality pics :wink:
update:
..all great stuff. now i just have to remember to bring my battery charger to work next time. doh! :roll:

With a big bump, won't the front wheel bump the camera? Why didn't you point the GoPro mount upwards?
I love your monster wheel. When will you put a Cromotor in that one? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

from yesterday's attempt. just demonstrating programming for anyone curious: usb > ttl driver working (controller attached, not shown). ebike lab program up, modded settings for eb312. start transmit. hold switch for 5 sec. nothing...
[youtube]QqnePf9E3us[/youtube]
waiting on another cable to try again. if no go, the zombies are going to eat this one up. caps will be rolling.

a couple clips from today's commute:
[youtube]_moOPoCixLM[/youtube]
if it looks drugged, that's youtube stabilization at work. won't be using that again..

hjns said:
With a big bump, won't the front wheel bump the camera?
did that answer your q? :mrgreen: there was just enough room to clear the fork/wheel.

hjns said:
When will you put a Cromotor in that one?
dbaker's gotten all greedy about keeping his.

totally joking. i am tempted to throw the hs3540 in the trash but i miss the speed! i had no idea how many issues xlytes had...

meanwhile, dave, did you weigh that feather you're pedaling these days? probably weighs less than the shinko 244, huh? :lol:

GCinDC said:
hjns said:
With a big bump, won't the front wheel bump the camera?
did that answer your q? :mrgreen: there was just enough room to clear the fork/wheel.

Yes, it does, more than adequately. :mrgreen:

GCinDC said:
nice monday entertainment, recognize anything FT?
What a maniac, that trials stuff blows my mind how they can just leap up in the air and down over things like that.
Some of that stuff was shot about half an hour from my house!

And yeah that youtube stabilization looks weird! Could be a cool effect if you wanted it in select places though.
Good to see you back riding. Hopefully the bad luck is behind you!
You clear, smudge free gopro videos make me sad :(

Back