Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

Thanks guys!

adrian_sm said:
Why no more treatment, and the wait and see. Is it a case of the cure being worth than the symptoms?
I assume that also means it is to risky to go and a get out.

Yeah the chemo is pretty nasty and it kicked the shit out of me. The chemo alone nearly killed me in october which is why they stopped short of what they had planned to give me (and what is routine for my sort of cancer) As it is there's light damage to my lungs and possibly heart from the radio, if they have to go again it'll be even worse and could leave me with permenant disability for however long I may live. If the only way to cure it means they have to fry my lungs then so be it, but obviously if I can avoid having to drag around an oxygen cylinder for the rest of my life that's a bonus, especially at my age! Also if this first round isn't sucessful then they have to give me nastier stuff which will likely give me leukemia in 5-10 years time, and then I'll die from that. So while it's dormant they want to avoid giving me anything they don't have to. There's a chance it may go away on its own now, which would be great, and I walk away with the scars and little permanant damage that is already done. But if they pump me full of other poisons and radiation
then they could be giving me an alternate death sentence, when the first one may not have played out anyway. Oh, and they can't do surgery because it's in the lymphatic system which runs everywhere. They could chop it out but it could easily pop up anywhere else. I'd also have to have surgery much the same as open heart surgery where the ribs are cracked open, which takes 6-12 months on its own to heal from which would majorly lay me up. Financially I need to get back to work, which is another reason not to have chemo unless I have to.

I'm still far from out of the woods, the relapse rate in the next few years is high and the 5 year survival data is not very good. If I make it to the 5 year mark I can probably be confident there's many more to follow but until then I'm walking on egg shells. And by walking I mean roaring over them with fat ebike tyres at high speed :twisted:

Looks like I might be around for Justin's Australian leg of the ebike world tour yet! :D

Now, about those custom ebike frames :mrgreen:
I've got a mate who's a welder by trade (boiler maker I think) who's going to help me make up some frames from scratch so it's time to get designing! It'll basically be along the lines of what timma cut and shut for me, but in one neat frame. The rear shock will probably be dirt bike style (ala stealth, phasor etc) for simplicity and I'm totally happy with the ride from my fighter, so if I can replicate that in a smaller, lighter purpose built frame i'll be very pleased. The schlumpf in my fighter rocks too so I might incorporate one of those too, which does away with the need for worrying about clearance for large chain rings (for pedalling at higher speed) and also trying to source threaded bottom bracket shells (I can just use the right ID pipe cut to length) I might start a seperate thread for this though, I welcome everyone's input! :)

In the mean time, I'm nearly ready to assemble the chopped diamondback, the first coat of paint is on. I've got with flame red and it will have CF highlights - probably on the door that the controller sits on and near the join on the top bar (+/- switchgear in there) I'm also tossing up whether to paint the swing arm black or keep it all red.

Attachments

• DB-red.jpg
    DB-red.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 2,969
Hyena said:
I'm still far from out of the woods, the relapse rate in the next few years is high and the 5 year survival data is not very good. If I make it to the 5 year mark I can probably be confident there's many more to follow but until then I'm walking on egg shells. And by walking I mean roaring over them with fat ebike tyres at high speed :twisted:

:lol:

That is the spirit that will get you through all this. :D

Can't wait to see your frames come together. Should be awesome. Personally I would rotate the battery box 90-deg for a narrow width, rather than the stealth just from a pure profile look but hey, thats just a personal thing. Keep up the great work.

- Adrian

Hyena said:
In breaking news, I got some pretty news from my oncologist this arvo.
My tumor is still there (about the size of a golf ball) but not growing so they're not going to do any more treatment for now and just watch it for the coming months. Obviously there's no guarantees but it looks like I won't have 2012 chiseled into my headstone! :)

Now, time to get some really cool ebike projects going 8)
Really good news mate, I'm happy for you and your family :D

Glad to hear you are doing OK.

There are new alternatives to chemo/radiotherapy on the horizon for HL. Similar to Rituximab for non-HL, there is Brentuximab for example, which was approved for refractory cases in the USA last year. I believe there are other targeted drugs that going through the approval process too.

HEHEHE Welcome to nightmare of the Chemo therapy like "I told you so" Anyways, I glad your tumor stopped growing but I must warn you that your tumor will re-gain grow and spread again within 10 years later. I learned from my doctor told me the warning and 22 years later I still alive and strong guy cancer free as cancer survivor.

I went awful nightmare with the chemo and radiology stuff for 1 and half year. They almost killed me but good thing I beat that tumor shit out of my body. :lol:

You will not become permanent disability unless doctors let it careless damage your tissues from the radiology. sure! I am sure your doctors did great superb job saving you. Thankful for these excellent doctors. :)

Back to subject, Love custom frame and Looking forward how the frame perform the stress of the abuse on off-roads.

Hyena said:
Thanks guys!

Yeah the chemo is pretty nasty and it kicked the shit out of me. The chemo alone nearly killed me in october which is why they stopped short of what they had planned to give me (and what is routine for my sort of cancer) As it is there's light damage to my lungs and possibly heart from the radio, if they have to go again it'll be even worse and could leave me with permenant disability for however long I may live.

Architectonic said:
There are new alternatives to chemo/radiotherapy on the horizon for HL. Similar to Rituximab for non-HL, there is Brentuximab for example, which was approved for refractory cases in the USA last year. I believe there are other targeted drugs that going through the approval process too.
Cool, hopefully by the time I need it (it'd be nice if this was in but it's unlikely) they have it sufficiently tested and available!

I was in Canberra for work over the weekend and took my bike down with me. I met up with Philistine and toolman2 which was cool. Unfortunately I got a flat so my ride footage was cut short but I'll edit a little bit together later. It's more touring footage than high speed and cunning stunts but a bit of variety is good right ? I've been to Canberra twice before (albeit briefly) and never realised how nice and leafy it is, especially so close to the city - if you can really call it that :lol:

I did manage a photo with a tank at the war memorial though :p

ebike-tank.jpg

Well, it seems I'm rapidly returning to my old self. Highside hyena is back ! :|
Leaving for work this morning I was 2 streets from home when I stacked it, flying over the bars super man style and sliding along the road on the palms of my hands for what felt like 30 seconds. Luckily I always wear gloves, the leather palm inserts did their job as there's not a mark on my hands, though the gloves are shredded. Unfortunately I wasn't wearing my body armour like I usually do (it was a nice day and I was planning a slow ride in to work :roll: ) and so have a pretty nasty graze on my elbow. If I had of been wearing it I would have walked away with all my skin.My left leg is quite sore, there's no skin off at all but it's fairly swollen - noticably bigger than my other leg. It's like I have big muscley quads, but only on one leg :lol:
Ah well, there's certaily no broken bones there so it must be all soft tissue injury from the impact. It's nothing compared to my recent trials but I'd rather not be stiff and sore.

I was doing about 45km at the time and luckily was in a back street otherwise it would have been nasty. As it was my bike ended up half under a parked 4WD on the other side of the road (with me a car length ahead)

Yeah glad you're powering & thankfully nothing broken...45 kph is a fast stack. I've broken stuff at 20 kph on a regular bike, depends how you land I guess. On warm days I too often ride with no protection apart from my helmet. High speed wobbles from unseen grooves in the road are my least favourite hazard. Any contributing factors?

Fantastic news on the medical front Jay! You'll be around Highsiding for alot longer yet :wink:

Speaking of which, how'd you manage that?!!! Any GoPro evidence? Your leg sounds painfull but atleast your hands are still intact :)

Hey the frame looks good in red, how'd you go with the head tube repair?

Paul :D

Glad the stack didn't do any damage and fingers crossed your over the hump on the other medical dramas. 8)

I had a low speed speed fall the other week (lost the front wheel on wet very sharp corner) and definitely would have lost skin without my gloves ... always worn. 45kph is a scary speed to come off at though :|

What actually caused the stack?

Simon

Geez! I get all ready to jump for joy about the tumor, and then you pull a highsider! Well, at least it wasn't worse, did the bike live? What was the girl's name you was lookin at when you hit the wall! I'm not worried, I know you can't keep a bad Hyena down! Speedy recovery, and best wishes from a US wanker fan.
Brian L.

Sounds fun..... It's always good to walk away. The only time I come close to tossing it is on dirt, like these crushed granite dirt paths they lay out. I made a thread about it last fall, how they make these trails meander aimlessly. Well yesterday I was pushing it pretty good through the S's and the sharpest one had a bit more loose stone than I would of liked. I got the rear end of the bike pretty low on the left side, *just* carrying it out barely. That's what you get for pushing nearly 100% slicks on dirt trails. Had I dumped it, the phase/hall wires would have been damaged likely. Made me laugh pretty good, woke me up.

Timma2500 said:
Speaking of which, how'd you manage that?!!! Any GoPro evidence? Your leg sounds painfull but atleast your hands are still intact :)
No gopro footage unfortunately! Spewing! The case was on the bike but the camera wasn't it in. The new lens arrived yesterday actually so I'm tossing up whether to actually install it on or. As it is the camera still records OK just with that smudge on it. If the replacement lens doesn't work (and it may not, its not designed for the gopro) then the camera may as well be binned :|
Leg is still sore, I'm limping a bit but it's getting better. Still no visible brusing so must be all internal soft tissue injury. Like when someone gives you a dead leg, but instead of it being pinpointed it's my whole thigh!

Oh, as for the source of the crash, it as electrical - same bloody throttle gremlins that have caused me to nearly come off before, only this time I did...
I thought I'd solved the issue last week when I replaced the other throttle which had a loose and corroded signal wire. It was randomly breaking contact causing the bike to suddenly surge WOT. I fitted a brand new throttle and for the last week it's been fine, but on the way to work the other day I must have squeezed the wiring with my leg as I was leaning the bike and it suddenly did it again. I was already braking as I leaned into a corner going fairly quick when it surged, lifting the front wheel, twitching and promptly throwing me off! Similar incident this this only imagine it when cornering and more wheel twitch (and the wheel lifted of the ground with the sudden application of 5kw!) http://youtu.be/A3PsVFDxupI?t=19s
The bike has been crashed a number of times so it must be multiple issues with the throttle. Given the one I have on there now is brand new I think there must be a loose wire or dry joint on the controller end.

Hey the frame looks good in red, how'd you go with the head tube repair?
Yeah it came up nice, not sure how durable it'll be with just spray paint but I'll ride it as is for now and can always get it done properly later. The quotes I got to do it were $300+ so I thought I'd hang off for now and see how happy I am with the ride of the bike etc.

And yeah I got the headtube pretty well sorted (for those not aware the box Timma send the frame to me in got bashed around in the post and the headtube had a big dent in it making a flat section on the ID of the tube and making it impossible to get the headset it) I got the guys at work to turn me up a steel tapered cone that was slightly bigger that the hole at one end and .5mm larged than the OD of the headset cup and the other. Bashing it in rounded the tube back out nicely :)

I'm hope to get the frame assembled over the rest of the easter break but I've got a few other projects on - finishing off 2 kits I'm making for other guys and also still finishing off the fighter.
On that note, I got the opportunity to duck out few a few hours yesterday and it was a nice day so took it down the beach. Being a public holiday the place was packed and probably 1 in 5 people walking along the esplanade stopped to ask me about the bike. I really should become a stealth dealer, I reckon I could have sold 5 that morning :p Then I took it for a spin along the waters edge, opening it up once I was away from the heavily congested areas. There were still people around finshing and sunbaking etc but I had plenty of room to ride fast without steering around people or being a nuisance. I don't think I could have turned any more heads if I was sprinting along the beach naked while shouting into a megaphone :lol:
Power consumption was high on the sand as expected but only around 1500w at 50km/hr. She was a bit twitchy on the soft sand to ride any faster than that anyway!

fighter1.jpg

Thanks mate,
The shock is a fox van R - 220mm eye to eye. I thought they'd be a bit sturdier than the standard air unit if I end up running a heavier motor. As with the H40 the ride is super smooth and plush

Thats a nice shock. The standard shock is 210mm eye to eye. I was wondering how the bike would sit with a 220mm shock. Obviously not an issue. Do you think that shock would be a good choice for a heavier rider?

There are no shocks in 210 and 220mm. The Fighter comes with a 215.9mm (8.5") and he's got a 222.3 (8.75") eye-to-eye. While 1/4" difference may not sound like much, multiply it by the attenuation ratio and you'll get 20mm extra at the bottom bracket which is noticeable. However, the advantages are - you can run more sag what will make the suspension feel plusher and the overall rear travel will increase by 10%

I defer to your obvious expertise here full throttle!

I had a few hours today to work on my frame and made some good progress :)
Nearly there :)

I think I'll go wtih a black anodized controller case to match the rest of the black on the bike. I'm tempted to paint that suspension linkage and the forks black too, although I left the linkage that colour because it sort of matches the forks and I thought it breaks up all the red and black.

H-DB1.jpg

H-DB2.jpg

Nice lookin bike Hyena, I like the wide rear rim. Not a fan of Red, but good engineering speaks for it's self. The wide handlebars look good too. Wish I could afford to have you ship one my way.
Brian L.

That bike looks great Hyena!

-JD

Looking great Hyena! How many 6s packs can you get in there? I really want to do the same thing on my bike!

Thanks guys. It holds 6x6S packs and a DC-DC converter as shown (plus probably a magic shine headlight battery) But when I make the custom version from scratch I'll probably oversize the top bar slightly to hold 3 mode 6S packs single file. So that's 9 in total for 1000 watt hours which is not to be sneezed at :)
15ah at 18S or 20ah at 12S.

As for production, it won't be anything major or on a large scale and I have no idea what things will actually cost all said and done. If I had to ball park it I'd say around the $1000 mark but there's too many variables to say for now. If I was to do it on a larger scale it'd work out cheaper but I'd say I won't end up buying things in bulk - unless there's demand up front in which case I can get better unit prices on things and bring the price down and make it a better deal for everyone.

What I'd ideally like to do is offer a good quality kit with a schlumpf 2 speed drive +/- forks to suit the geometry of the frame and depending on interest I might even make a few turnkey ebikes. As anyone who's built a bike from scratch will tell you though, there's a heap of work in it, especially with all the electrics. I'd have to add a premium for it but it's something that might suits the lazy / noobs. It'd also have to probably buy 10 units of each item to get any sort of half decent price break.

I'm happy for any and all thoughts - chuck em up over in the thread here if you're interested
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38418

On that note, I got the opportunity to duck out few a few hours yesterday and it was a nice day so took it down the beach.Being a public holiday the place was packed and probably 1 in 5 people walking along the esplanade stopped to ask me about the bike. I really should become a stealth dealer, I reckon I could have sold 5 that morning Then I took it for a spin along the waters edge, opening it up once I was away from the heavily congested areas. There were still people around finshing and sunbaking etc

Oh thank god for the vid of this,( please,please,please ) there's been a distinct lack of "upskirting" style vids lately, :lol: even with a dirty great scratch on the lens. Oh and I think the stealth dealer thang is a perfect fit for ya jay.

Back