kfong wrote:Nice work Jozzer, is there anything you would do differently for those of us contemplating of doing a similar conversion. I know of a garage kept Miata with a blown engine. Where did you source the motor? Sounded like you had very little issues with the install. Did you have a custom motor mount made. More details!
Thanks. Made everything in house, I'm lucky enough to have a fully equiped machine shop these days. The adapter plate was easy, but the mounting is much more complex. We didn't want to go with the usual method (strap around the motor bolted too the original engine mounts), instead we made a bracket to bolt the adapter plate securely to the chassis.
The motor came direct from Kostov in Europe.
If I were to do it again I would lose the gearbox and make it direct drive. It's useless using anything less than 4th gear (wheelspins at half throttle). I wouldn't like to have reverse wired up through contactors (since it would have to take 1000A when driving forward too), but the weight saving would be nice - not to mention space for another 8kW/h of Turnigy. The 11" motor would slide right up the gearbox tunnel..
I'd also use a newer model with upgraded brakes - this poor old chassis is getting a bit of a beating:) I've never got the motor close to overheating yet, but the brakes are often smoking! It looks very tatty for a £15000+ car too:)
Mazda MX-5. 300KW power. Soliton 1 controller, 11" Kostov motor, 20KW/H Turnigy Lipo for 60-100 miles range. 120mph top speed.
Hudson Kindred Spirit 3 wheeler. Twin Agni setup, 300KG 80KW. 100mph top speed (maybe more, but no-one has the guts to try!)
Aprilia RS125, Agni motor, 600A 96v Kelly controller, 6kw/h Turnigy pack. www.Jozztek.com