my first build: brompton at 30 mph

Now I've put my 4 lipo in a carton box:
Lipo_box1.jpg

When it's closed, just the cable is reachable:
Lipo_box2.jpg

For a total weight of 4.5kg:
Lipo_box_closed.jpg

I'll for now put that on my brompton front bag :)
Lipo_box_inbrompton.jpg

I've been reading your Saga on Pedelecs, but i won't post there, so I hope you see this.
Am I right that it's nominally a 250w motor with hall sensors? If so, It may be that you've cooked a hall sensor. Do you have another controller to try - even a low powered one that you can run with 36v or whatever just to test the motor?

Your controller looks OK. Normally you could smell if something was burnt.
A question about motors and controllers, which you didn't answer from my last message:
Did you connect the hall sensors with your Lyen controller?
Are they connected now? If so does the motor still run if you disconnect the 5 wire hall sensor plug?

I think I smelt the plastic when I opened it. Not sure if it was burn.

I connected the hall sensor with lyen controller. And I also connected the hall sensor with ny other controller and it worked.

Going to try now if it's working without connecting the hall sensor

Just checked that. The motor can't work without hall sensor connected.

It needs both at the same time. It's maybe lyen controller hall sensor that cooked?

cwah said:
Just checked that. The motor can't work without hall sensor connected.

It needs both at the same time. It's maybe lyen controller hall sensor that cooked?
Ok, that eliminates problems with the motor then as long as you switched off the controller between connecting and disconnecting the halls. That test was necessary because some controllers can run both with and without hall sensors and they auto-sense at start to see what you've got.

Had the diagnostic from Lyen finally: The FET has burnt.

Probably too much amps or wrong hall/phase sequence. Have to send back the controller for reparation.

Quick update on my brompton:
- Purchased a spare 72V 45A controller from zenid:
DSC00786.jpg

http://www.zenid.com/controller.htm

Received it within 2 days (in the UK). It doesn't have regen or can't be configured, but it's a very good spare controller.

- Put my battery in a camera bag:
battery_bag.jpg

Here is the folded brompton:
brompton_folded_with_bag.jpg

It rolls!!! :D

It goes fast too. I don't have a speedometer on the brompton yet (as the cycle analyst plug wasn't compatible), but I think I'm around 25-30mph. :D

Almost there. The controller is not that stealthy... I may put it inside the bag. Not sure how to solve that yet.

cwah said:
Received it within 2 days (in the UK). It doesn't have regen or can't be configured, but it's a very good spare controller.
Actually, it does have regen braking along with other festures. You just have to enable them. I've been using one for quite a while.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29469
I bought the two I have direct from china suppliers. One for $37, and the other $33 iirc. That included shipping to the US.

Thanks. Going to see how I can enable regen :)

Quick field report from today cycling:
- I'm actually cycling slower than usual because I don't want to go too fast. Going fast on these small wheel seem dangerous. Some cyclist are faster than me, I think I'm taking too much precautions :lol:

Otherwise, in term of stealthyness, it's not there yet at all:
brompton_controller_outside1.jpg

brompton_controller_outside2.jpg
brompton_controller_outside3.jpg

Everybody noticed it was an electric bike. Have been stopped 3 times in my little driving tour:
- Asked me twice about the bike price. I lied (costed me £300 bought it second hand)
- Asked me advice about electric spare
- And 1 guy said "look, an electric bike".

Even though the controller has the frame colour, it's not stealthy at all. It definitely has to be inside the bag

wesnewell said:
cwah said:
Actually, it does have regen braking along with other festures. You just have to enable them. I've been using one for quite a while.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29469
I bought the two I have direct from china suppliers. One for $37, and the other $33 iirc. That included shipping to the US.

Haven't found the regen feature on the controller. I put a post on the thread. Any idea which one I should use?

I received my MPX connectors.
10.jpg

They are really small. I don't know how they can be rated 35A continuous (60A peak)

They are however excellent to merge my phase wires and batteries wire into 1 plug. Here is my soldering:
mpx_connector_1.jpg

mpx_connector2.jpg

All the wires are very very closes. I'm afraid of spark and I'm not sure it's safe to use them like this.

I changed it with DB25 connectors as the previous one look too dangerous:
DB25_1.jpg

DB25_2.jpg

It accepts 5A/pin. So 5 pins for the battery cables (25A) and 3 pins for the phase wires (15A). And at least 1 pin distance between each to prevent short

Hope it's going to work.

The brake are less efficient than my mountain bike disc brake. I tend to go way below 30 mph, usually around 17-23 mph because it's too dangerous otherwise. Especially with the brompton standard brakes.

I'd need to upgrade my brake but don't know where to look as all brompton part are very bespoke :lol:

I highly approve of your front-mount pack. If you want to hard-mount it up there so it doesn't move around and add its own steering inputs, a couple of clamps and a pelican 1200/1300/2100 could hold it tight. Here are some examples:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37759

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36375&p=573712#p574804

Yeah, I'm thinking about a hard pack. But I'm also trying to keep everything light as it's still a small folding bike.

I'll add a lot of foam to prevent the lipo from bouncing on vibration, and protect them from shock.

My brompton is following me everywhere!!

Soreditch:
brompton_soreditch.jpg

Oxford circus:
brompton_oxfordcircus.jpg

Picadilly:
brompton_picadilly.jpg

:)

When I came back this evening to pick up my bike, I've seen a secret admirer for my bike:
brompton_number2.jpg

Unfortunately, it's not for sale ;)

cwah said:
When I came back this evening to pick up my bike, I've seen a secret admirer for my bike:
Unfortunately, it's not for sale ;)

That is the best praise you can hope for - and you can pay it forward by teaching your admirer how to build his own. :D

-JD

is that metallic netting? what's it called and where can i get it?

I was thinking building a cage for my battery but i think the net will work.

Back