So, I finally got the bike as I had originally envisioned it. I ended up modifying the front right cover. I had my local machine shop turn down the two steps on the cover. They turned down the smaller shoulder, slightly, to allow this cog to slide on.http://www.velosolo.co.uk/disccog15.html
They turned the larger shoulder down to 35 mm diameter, to allow me to install a 5 mm thick aluminum ring, 35 mm ID, 64 mm OD. The ring has 12 holes drilled and tapped to match the 44 mm disc brake BCD, for the cog. The cover has six countersunk holes through from the inside, to bolt the ring to the outside of the cover. The cog bolts to the remaining six holes in the ring. Basically, I duplicated the disc brake mount from the left side to the right side. But the one on the right side is 5 mm thick, instead of 7 mm thick. The sprocket sits right in the middle of the gap between the cover, and the motor mount plate. There is about 2 mm on either side of the chain, which acts as a chain guide, so the chain can't derail when it swings. It works perfectly! I saved one and a quarter pounds of weight, a chainring, 116 links of chain, two chain guides, and two power robbing idlers. And I have a better chain line, so I no longer get grease on my right calf.
One 116 link chain runs from the 53 tooth chainring to the 15 tooth cog on the left side of the motor. One and a half chains, about 175 links, goes from the 15 tooth cog on the right side to the 12-34, 8 speed cassette in the rear.
Got that EV grin!