Lessss wrote:If you were to shut down the entire government all healthcare etc.. except your military you still would not balance you budget.
The TSA has more money than NASA, yes that's right the peep and grope em dept has more funding than NASA.
I don't really agree with your assessment.
I did a huge research project on this last summer, and by my numbers 84% of our income taxes go toward the military. The remaining 16% is not enough to run the government (national parks, transportation, CDC, pay the president, education, arts funding, etc.). Welfare is a lot too, depending on what we consider welfare, since unemployment is paid for by both the states and federal government combined. There's a lot more to it than that, but essentially if we threw out all government spending except for actually running the government offices and defense, we would have enough in taxes to cover it.
Social Security is funded through a completely separate tax (not that most Americans even know that or understand it). It has never been short of money. In fact, much of our national debt is to that program because Congress borrowed money from it.
Medicare is self-funded as well, and has always been funded sufficiently, but with rising health care costs, along with an aging population (Baby Boomers), it is not sustainable using its current formula.
The fix is easy: Raise tax rates on the rich, cut the military budget in half, and you will see the national debt get better quickly.
It really is that simple to fix our nation's annual deficits and overall debt.