Vaporware and failed EV companies

Chrysler_LLC_EV_Familyw.jpg

Chrysler ENVI program. Current status: Killed off once Chrysler got their bailout money despite claims that all the EVs above could make it to market in 2010. This program's conception and course is really shameful, even in my jaded opinion.

Honda-RC-E-Electric-Motorcycle-Concept-side-right-design-view-2-555x415.jpg

Yamaha-EC-f-electric-motorcycle.jpg

ktm-freeride-02.jpg

bmw-husqvarna-22011-09-13-600-1.jpg

BMW_Concept_e_Frankfurt_2011_Live.jpg

Honda, Yamaha, KTM, and BMW electric motorcycles (and scooters). Current status: Vaporware for the whole lot.

index.php

Piaggio MP3 PHEV. Current status: Vaporware from the perspective of US consumers. I'm not sure if it ever made it into production in congestion-charge-laden Europe.

index.php

Miles EV. Current status: Vaporware, the company likely bankrupt (although I haven't seen confirmation of the same). Coda (and BYD) is in the same boat, although the former may have shipped one or two cars in California by now.

index.php

Raytheon BluWave Hy-DRA. Offroad, hub-motored, A123-batteried BEV. Current status: NOT vaporware, but only available for your use if you're in the US military special forces. :oops:

On a very similar note:

index.php

CERV Quantum Clandestine Extended Range Vehicle, an AWD diesel-electric hybrid. Current status: Similarly only available for killing brown people under the flag of the US military.

index.php

Saab Aero X, which was to run on 100% ethanol. Current status: Dead, as is Saab itself after prolonged death throes.

index.php

Audi A1 E-Tron. Current status: Vaporware, although an R8 E-Tron, plaything for the rich, is still reportedly undergoing testing and development.

index.php

Edison2 Very Light Car. Current status: Vaporware despite its victory at the Automotive X-Prize.

index.php

Brammo Empulse. Current status: Still vaporware, although Brammo at least has shipped a few Enertias to show that they're for real.

index.php

index.php

Mini and Smart Electric Scooters, with Mini used in the sense of BMW, not as an adjective. Current status: Vaporware for both mini-companies' lineups.

index.php

BMW C1-E. Current status: Vaporware, although it looks like at least one running prototype exists.

index.php

Peraves E-Tracer, based on the BMW K-bike-based Monotracer. Current status: Vaporware, despite winning its class at the Automotive X-Prize.

index.php

Piaggio NT3 city car, with 300cc hybrid powertrain option. Current status: Vaporware, and not destined for the US even if it materialized magically.

index.php

Jaguar C-X75, supposedly a REEV with turbines (!) as the range extender. Current status: Need I even say it? Vaporware, of course. :eek:

index.php

Toyota RAV4 EV. Current status: Vaporware, although its vapors (and the associated Toyota money) are seemingly all that's keeping Tesla afloat these days.

And that's all, folks. I'm caught up to the present date, having started back in 2008. A closing thought, of a BEV moon-bike that never saw the moon's surface:

4h39fd.jpg

Back