"peak power" - Trek 4300 20" Magic Pie build.

LOL yeah kmx isn't great when you are going fast corner endanger roll over and hurt yourself. Ypedal bought Cobra kmx after Doctorbass bought one.

I rode Eric's (Green Machine) Cobra kmx with rocket recumpence v4 motor and jesus this thing really kick my arse but too much bumpy when going too fast on pavement road or bad road due non suspension.

I would love buy one but I changed my mind not want because of lacking access trails and limitation privilege unless I am living out of country backyard then should be perfect use it.

auraslip said:
Building wheels requires one tool: a spoke wrench.

Cutting down pedals and re-tapping them requires a hack saw, a drill, and pedal taps.
JwKFQl.jpg

It seems to me you're hitting a wall that you keep trying to go around but you can't! Eventually you're going to need to get some tools and get your hands dirty.

Are these shots of GreasyPants build??? :D

The high cost and poor design of the tadpole trikes really turns me off. I think that basing the entire design on a giant bar with a bunch of things attached to it is a really poor idea, and leads to the frame being extremely flexy for us heavier and lighter riders. On the other hand, if it doesn't flex, then the likelihood of tipping over is really, really high.

The ones that flexed the most, just happened to have taken corners the best.

My idea is to use the strongest shape in geometry, the triangle, rather than a bar. Build it strong as hell out of the strongest/lightest steel you can find, then add suspension & maybe cambering for each of the front wheels. I'm sure this could be done with common go-kart or scooter parts.

http://www.powersportsmax.com/produ...m=organic&utm_campaign=powersportsmax_all&m=2

If China can produce a go kart with suspension on all 4 wheels and a 110cc engine for under $1000, i'm sure it's possible to roll your own for around that price if you know how to weld, using used scooter/bicycle parts and maybe some steel channel from a hardware store / salvage metal place.

Oh the crazy shit i will do when we finally get settled down and buy a house :)

Yup. That book has a bunch of good ideas, but is pretty dated by now.

Still, that book laid the frame work for most of my builds. It's probably the best ebike build I've seen since it can, ya know, actually function as a commuter vehicle rather than most bikes here which are just sloppily thrown together weekend riders.

Auraslip, i've always liked your builds because you put real effort into them.. into making it something more than what looks like a science project. I saw that book early on and looked at the publish date... just started reading ES at the time and realized it was a little dated, so i never picked it up. I usually blaze my own trail anyway ( it is both a good and a bad thing that i'm a poor listener ;) )

So this build has been stagnant and some life changes are comin' along. I will be moving to Salt Lake City, UT fairly soon. Checked out the place on vacation and fell in love with it. I'm not LDS and didn't feel like an outcast there, which was a surprise. The metro area puts Denver and Colorado Springs to shame and there are bike lanes literally everywhere.. a huge improvement over this area where i feel like i am taking my life into my hands every time i get on 2 wheels. No bike lanes and drivers that don't expect bicyclists is a bad situation.

Back to the build... there are some local mechanical engineer folks who love building themselves some weird freak bikes/trikes i met a bit ago and finally they're gonna have some time to dream & weld me up some crazy shit. At least one of the DS bikes i have is going to have an extended frame arm & tweaked geometry in order to take a 20" wheel in the back proper if this pans out.

If it doesnt, i may just say screw it & run dual pies.

More updates later.

OK. Dual suspension extended swingarm thing not working out.
I cannot find a proper frame.

Pirelli M75 2.75" rear tire ordered.
Temp sensor purchased.

No turning back, now. I'm sticking with the Trek. And i need to get off my ass and start doing testing.

neptronix said:

I thought you bought one similar to mine? I did mine and didn't exactly have much skill, just a friend who extended the swing arm real quick.

so you gave up the Genesis MTB?

zombiess said:
neptronix said:

I thought you bought one similar to mine? I did mine and didn't exactly have much skill, just a friend who extended the swing arm real quick.

Yeah, i did. It's the larger version of what you have. It really is just way too damn small for me, after i had it mostly together.
Also, same bottom bracket problem if i drop down to a front 20" wheel even with the longer shock.
Also, don't wanna bother with the threaded 1in. steer tube.
It's just so heavy and crappy that i'm basically just gonna throw it away after the race and not have a use for it anymore.

So i'll go back to the original idea. Moving to Utah after the race so i don't have any extra $ to blow anyway. The race entry fee is bad enough ( $130 or so ) and i did not get the tax return i thought i was getting so this project is on a kinda pathetic shoestring, lol.

chroot said:
so you gave up the Genesis MTB?

I'm not sure what to do with the Genesis at the moment. I like riding it as my primary pedal bike.. Just haven't sorted out how to mount batteries to it yet. Got some doctorbass torque plates in tho. These things are serious business!!

ffuu.jpg

Damnit, in trying to put the temp sensor in, i managed to chew up the hall sensor insulation, phase wire insulation, the wiring for the temp sensor, and so forth.

The external magic pie axle & wire is super tight and won't let anything additional through. You have to slip a giant bearing over it. You also have to slip a spring ring and circlip over it, both who do a great job of dicing and slicing your wiring.

The axle appears non-removeable, i can't get it out from the stator after whacking on it many many times with large blunt objects.

I grinded on the axle a bit with a dremel and she is just not taking anything additional.

**** this motor right now!

Is there a way to make a sensored infineon controller sensorless...? i think at one point, there was a board you could buy..?

What kind of cables does it come with ? I used the alfa ecowire 12G, really thin insulation and really good stuff.

I never bothered reusing the circlip as you say it cuts the cable, once I have the motor on the bike I then cable tie the cables to the axle, making sure nothing rubs!

But the temperature sensor is a great way to go, so don't give up on that, regarding the halls, you don't want to loose them as you will loose a bit of speed, 5 mph or so. And you don't want to risk the problems I'm having with vibration!

You may need to rewire it all now, but it may well be for the best in the end.

I used really thin wires for the halls, and it was very high temp stuff. I can't remember, but I will try find the name of it if you need it!

I believe the phase are standard 16g stuff and the halls are el standard 14-30g.

Without the little clip and springy clip at the base of the axle, it seems like the motor would vibrate some, or have some side to side play, so i don't want to eliminate it.

The alfa ecowire is mind blowingly expensive on mouser and digikey.. seems to sell in 100ft. quantities for $50-$150. Will hit up my local electronics store to see if they have something else..

I'm so tired with this build. I want to sell it all off and let zombiess be the sole kicker of optibike's ass. It would reduce my stress level greatly.

BTW, you are right scorpion :mrgreen:
The circlip is not necessary at all! I'll just ziptie the sucker down.

Also, the springy doodad can go on the other side, to prevent wire cutting
Also, using thin shrinkwrap rather than the super fat stuff that comes with these motors allowed me to stuff in everything :)

Saaavvveee...

HELL Yeah!!!! i took the springy clip and circlip off, rounded out the sharp edges on the axle, jammed in wires for the temp sensor AND a fan array.

Now i just need some fans that can tolerate 100C temps :lol:

Way to go Nep! :mrgreen:

I tried silicon wire before and it was a bitch to get through, mainly because silicone wire had much thicker insulation than the alpha ecowire!

neptronix said:
HELL Yeah!!!! i took the springy clip and circlip off, rounded out the sharp edges on the axle, jammed in wires for the temp sensor AND a fan array.

Now i just need some fans that can tolerate 100C temps :lol:

dont worry man, we just used std cheap arsed fans, and thave been fine, 4 of * 50mm*10mm.

I'm glad to see you continuing this build Neptronix. It can get frustrating at times, we've all been there after breaking stuff, trying to fix it but managing instead to break it even worse. Sometimes you just need to step back for a while and take a break. Come back to it fresh another day or even week or how ever long. Feels so good when you finally get something right. My first hall sensor replacement on my 9C 2806 took 3 or 4 times of me opening up the motor because each time I did something wrong. I also upgraded the phase wires to 12 gauge at the same time which was not as easy as many on here said it would be. Stripped the insulation off an then used heat shrink and lube and about 2 hours of fighting to finally get those wires through that damn hole. Probably took another 2 hours to clean up all the sealant that was around and in the hole from the factory preventing me from removing the factory wires.

I think I'm going to put this 9c 2806 in my wifes bike. Need to do some testing but if her and I come to the climb like I'm hoping to her bike is going to have an easy time since she weighs under 100lbs.

Thanks zombiess, it's been super frustrating but now i think the difficult part is soon to end. Stepping back and taking a breather certainly helped.

Your 9C idea with such a light rider might work.

The Pirelli 16 x 2.75" tire is here and OMG it's freaking huge. Not as heavy as i thought. It looks like it is double the tallness of the 2.3" BMX tire too. My boss is kicking my ass today, so i don't have time to set it up yet, grrrr!! more later.

Before installing the fans/doing venting, i will hook up the tire and do a test up the 1/3rd scale pike's peak road and see how the temps are.

Bummer, I am sure you will get it done no time later on and hopefully this time will be very reliable motor last long for you. :lol:

My 9c is pretty solid reliable since 2 years even I abused my 9C 9x7 motor zillion times everyday commuter. 8)
Once you get a hand of CroMotor and I am betting this CroMotor will be very reliable long time except 50-50 chance blow up the sensor hall. I am thinking get a 18 Fets dual sensor/sensorless from Cell_Man so in case if I blow up the sensor hall then I can just switch to sensorless as backup during the commuter or wherever.

Back