The Mid Drive Hub as a Non Hub Group

subscribed

I made a new swing arm for my bike, new vids comming!

Also, this picture shows how the motor mount double up as a chain guard, not expected but really nice feature :

bug_vs_feature.gif

7098559047_3563e5d316_c.jpg

6952493792_8ec46e302d_c.jpg

7098547103_dbd501de53_c.jpg

Also subscribed*

I like this build!

I hope the new swingarm works out well :)

Paul :D

bzhwindtalker said:
I made a new swing arm for my bike, new vids comming!

I know you have a frame fail as well as the swingarm and I cant help thinking it maybe to do with the weight and position of the hub motor within the frame, Just a thought :| .

I can't see how a mid mounted motor could be worst than a wheel mounted motor...

The swingarm I built failed too, badly engineered and d
oing huge jumps...

[youtube]LS31rLtULok[/youtube]

The M55, I know this is a low-production / high-Euro bike (Ferrari?) but I'd like to add it here simply because it shows that a well-researched project that can afford to do whatever it wants has studied E-bike drive systems,...and came to the conclusion that a hub driving the Bottom-Bracket (BB) is the best they could come up with.

In the interests of full-disclosure, I am working as a copy-editor (spell-checker?) for the electricbike.com web-magazine, and I have nothing to sell.

http://www.electricbike.com/m55/
M55_Terminus1.jpeg

John in CRs bike had the rear suspension arm welded with an extension to make room for an easier install of the mid-drive. For those who don't have access to a welder, I was able to make a longtail full suspension by attaching the BB-axle of an MTB rear-sus arm to the drop-outs of a hardtail. It was easier than I thought it would be. I can fit a 10-inch diameter skillet in the extra space, so an 8-inch geared hub would easily fit.

file.php

So I am seriously considering a hub mid drive to replace an outrunner for my next build, as I am currently having problems with snapping chains and tearing sprockets with my current build, the noise is tolerable, but I want something that is perfectly reliable.

So the reason I am avoiding a hub is the weight, currently the reduction for my 63-74 is well shy of 2kg all told, inc. motor (except crank/freewheel weight) and would take up a similar/smaller space to a hub motor. So as a result of the weight loss, I have a few kw in a bike well under 20kg, with 500wh of lifepo4. I am wanting a dual suspension, with lipo, and pretty sure I will be able to get the setup for under 6kg extra, but I hear that hub motors are very heavy, and the motor itself will be 6kg....

Never owned a hub, so don't know the weight for sure, but what would be the lightest hub that will push out 3-4kw? I am happy to overvolt it if it will handle it, just literally looking for the lightest way to get a hub running, so I can use all the hub motor components for reliability, and an off the shelf freewheel and bike chain going to the cranks. End result MUST be compact and clean.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm sure if there is a suitable motor out there, someone here knows it.

Couldn't figure out how to subscribe, so I'll just post.

After reading Green Machine's excellent review of the Hannebrink mid-drive, I've decided to build a mid-drive, fat tired Ebike myself.

Last year I bought a nice minibike with 19" X 7" tires which isn't far from the Hannebrinks 20" X 8" tires, of course it's built in China from crap steel, (heavy as hell), but it'll make welding brackets easy. It has HUGE frame space, right now partially filled with a Honda 200cc generator/go-kart copy motor. Thing is I paid $249 for it brand new!, and I could probably sell the motor for close to that, it even has a suspended seat which I bought a Rock Shox air shock for. Anyway it'll be my mid-drive concoction, minimal noise will be a build must, stealth is crucial to the covert riding tactics I must operate under. Since my first Ebuild was with a BMC V2T, I was thinking of a V3 or 4. I'll have to make some kind of intermediate cassette gearing because I think it would be pretty complicated to change my rear single sprocket into a cassette. Anyway looking forward to watching your creations come to life as I'm building mine :D .

briogio said:

After reading Green Machine's excellent review of the Hannebrink mid-drive, I've decided to build a mid-drive, fat tired Ebike myself.

Last year I bought a nice minibike with 19" X 7" tires which isn't far from the Hannebrinks 20" X 8" tires, of course it's built in China from crap steel, (heavy as hell), but it'll make welding brackets easy. It has HUGE frame space, right now partially filled with a Honda 200cc generator/go-kart copy motor. Thing is I paid $249 for it brand new!, and I could probably sell the motor for close to that, it even has a suspended seat which I bought a Rock Shox air shock for. Anyway it'll be my mid-drive concoction, minimal noise will be a build must, stealth is crucial to the covert riding tactics I must operate under. Since my first Ebuild was with a BMC V2T, I was thinking of a V3 or 4. I'll have to make some kind of intermediate cassette gearing because I think it would be pretty complicated to change my rear single sprocket into a cassette. Anyway looking forward to watching your creations come to life as I'm building mine :D .

for future note, theres a link at the bottom of each page with 'subscribe/un-subscribe topic' on it :p .

bzhwindtalker said:
This is my new signiature video :

[youtube]YOWMpXwWzgE[/youtube]

as always mate, fantastic vid. love the shot composition.

how'd you get those slow panning shots to be so smooth?

sn0wchyld said:
briogio said:

for future note, theres a link at the bottom of each page with 'subscribe/un-subscribe topic' on it :p .

Thanks! I was looking for that all over but never saw it.

bzhwindtalker said:
This is my new signiature video :

[youtube]YOWMpXwWzgE[/youtube]

as always mate, fantastic vid. love the shot composition.

how'd you get those slow panning shots to be so smooth?

Thanks spinningmagnets, but the largest one of them that I could find was still smaller than what I want, unless they have a 2-3kw that I couldn't find?

Also looked around for some other options, and they still seem very heavy compared to what rc drives can be, so for know I think I will continue trying to reduce the noise and size of the reduction, plus finish rewinding my spare motor. Given that laws are changing in Australia I may need to make the thing more subtle (quieter) but my priority is still on a small and compact system. Still very interested in hubs if an appropriate/cheap one to experiment with comes by. I essentially have free machining at university so experimenting is not too much of a problem.

So another question, how much harder do you guys thing it will be to pedal if the chain was in 2 stages, so it went up to a jackshaft where it joined the motor, then down to the wheel? Similar to flyingmonkey's build but a single chain to the rear, giving the pedals all the gears as well. Will it be worth looking into, or skip it?

Hats off to bzhwindtalker for making some beautiful ebike videos :)

Regarding mid mount hub motors: No one mentioned the Hanebrink bike yet?

Not really fair to compare a mid mount hub motor drive to a front wheel drive bmc but it was fun none the less :)

[youtube]C3WRTzclB4M[/youtube]

From Warren, he uses the hub similar to the Hanebrink, halfway between the BB and rear-wheel, but with chains on both sides. A left-side cog on the 6-hole disc-brake flange is chained to the BB, and the right-side freewheel is chained to the rear wheel sprocket-set/derailleur. Pic is from an earlier chain configuration, but the hub has remained in the same location.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=23259&start=135#p540457
file.php

Miles said:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=290115#p290115

chaindrive.jpg

Anyone know the name of that clamp/bracket thingie holding the motor in place and where to get it please?

Back