FalconEV 19" triangle bag.

nonlineartom said:
he would do well to start selling a new version of the falcon EV bag which is split into two halves, hung over the top bar like a pannier sort of bag, but maintaining the same internal volume as the falcon EV split in 2 parts with a semi-rigid inwardly facing panels. Each side having 50mm space width wise to accomodate pretty much any LiPo pack.

He could sell that shit for $70 and people would buy it....

....anyone know some good manufactures?!

Indeed he could. If Hi-Power Cycles would restock their large bags I'd be buying them for certain, between them and FalconEV they are the only ones to produce a quality canvas bag with the dimensions we need. I was emailing one of the owners of Hi-Power Cycles and they will not be stocking the big bags for some time...
If they charge $100 for a bag of your description it would sell, but lets not give them any ideas :roll:

I am still loving mine been packing it full of 12 6s 5000mah batteries with no problems once I loosened
stress on the top bar. once i changed my packing lower as nepro suggested it's working out great.

You very well might be able to if you remove the casing.
You can fit 12S side by side, as it is.

I'm ordering a 3rd bag soon.
I seriously base my eBike builds on this bag from now on.

Heres a little doodad that I put together.

It consists of some mounting brackets, 1 inch aluminum tubing and also some aluminum u channel.

IMG_20120423_175023.jpg

It simply sits on the top frame

IMG_20120428_205954.jpg

and heres it on the bike
IMG_20120428_205926.jpg

not 100% done yet, need to figure out a way to keep the bottom supported.

Ken

One thing to know is that most of the battery weight should rest on the bottom, or the top straps end up tearing off.
Holding 10-20lb of battery in a vibration prone environment is tough.

I'm interested in seeing how this pans out.

neptronix said:
One thing to know is that most of the battery weight should rest on the bottom, or the top straps end up tearing off.

I'm interested in seeing how this pans out.

Listen to this guy ^^ from my experience I have torn the seem where the canvas meets the zip by having the some load carried by the top straps. Not good. Mine is now a patchwork of repairs and reinforcements.

On mine I use a peice of 12mm ply, epoxied it to another peice at 90 degrees to make an L shaped bracket which clamped onto the seat tube with a 34mm exhaust clamp. That acts as a shelf clamped to the seat tube with the front resting on the down tube. All the weight of the battery is taken by the wood. Doesn't look too messy either.

inside the bag I've got a plastic licence plate and used a heat gun to bend it a bit to match the curve of the bag to make a rigid floor and front that the controller screws onto. Stops everything bouncing around inside and gives a rigid surface to mount to as a removable insert

Yea I still use mine almost daily and love it.. still no problems on my end just been extra careful to not support from top straps.

Glad you finally got it.

neptronix said:

So the LiPo bricks are okay and not banging on the bottom bar?
These look great, I'm really gonna have to get one and give it a try.

The bag itself is pretty stiff in the bottom and other then taping my 8 6s 5000mah cells together It's been a non issue for me.

Sacman said:
neptronix said:

Never a problem! That padding on the bottom is very tough stuff.
There's plenty of room in the bag for you to add a lil' extra padding if you feel like it though.

neptronix said:
Sacman said:
neptronix said:

Never a problem! That padding on the bottom is very tough stuff.
There's plenty of room in the bag for you to add a lil' extra padding if you feel like it though.

Cool... thanks. So do you have your LiPo bricks just sitting in the bag bare or do you armor them up with anything?
I'm thinking of getting the bag for my off-road ebike so I'm thinking I'd better armor the batts up.

There are some pics early in this thread..

But initially i had added some extra foam padding, now i just run them bare.
But to be honest, my bike has kind of a tapered flat bottom tube where the batteries sit on. That helps.

off-road = beating up a battery that costs 50 bux minimum. throw some padding in there, you don't want them moving much and a big crash could ignite your expensive kit/bike on fire. regardless if it comes with padding or not you should be protecting your investment with a cheap fix.

I used foam, anti-slip futon mattress stuff, duct tape, electrical tape, and hobby cut-board fully wrapped around each battery. Added foam and cut-board to my pack too. About 6 dollars total investment. Now i don't worry about anything but breaking that wire coming out of the rear axle.

I personally think that 12 4S hardcases packs in this bag will be absolutely beast! :mrgreen: Guys, just get ready for the ultimate solution. Who needs padding with hardcases lip packs? Duct tape and this frame bag is all I need to get my bike up and running. Get ready to be amazed.
Just a quick question on what andy's PayPal address is? Please and thankYou! :mrgreen:

I took a new Falcon EV bag to a marine upholsterer yesterday to have the edge band that is parallel to the ground expanded to 5 1/4" all around. All of the expansion will be on the left hand side and will not interfere with the zipper, the pouches, or the velcro straps. I'm expanding on the left side only because my 153mm wide bb has 30mm+ of its 40mm extra width on the left side. The combination does not appear to interfere with my pedalling strokes.

I chose the 5 1/4" edge band width because 3-cell wide 40152s 5Ah Headway packs are 5.04" wide. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to fit a 16S grouping inside. If not, I may have to place as many as 4 cells as near the triangle as possible. I plan to reinforce the bag with a 1/8' thick (1/4" overall thickness as extruded) 5" wide aluminum fashioned mainly from 3 sections of this 36" long door threshhold purchased from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202262366/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=threshhold&storeId=10051

1 section of the 5" wide aluminum will run most of the 11" length of the seat tube edge and 2 sections will be fitted to both surfaces of the bottom edge (downtube and across to the seat tube). I'll connect these 3 sections with a pair of 4" long door hinges that cost only $1.00 @ at Harbor Freight.

These 3 articulated, hinged aluminum reinforcement sections will be slid into the bag and will be easily removable.

Let me add in 1 minor rant. I haven't even used the bag yet and the Falcon EV rubberized logo has already smeared over the surface of the bag where it was folded for shipping/storage.

Lemlux said:
Let me add in 1 minor rant. I haven't even used the bag yet and the Falcon EV rubberized logo has already smeared over the surfacde of the bag where it was folded for shipping/storage.

Why advertise the Falcon brand logo anyways?
Rub it all out with some black shoe polish. :wink:

Sacman said:
Why advertise the Falcon brand logo anyways?
Rub it all out with some black shoe polish. :wink:

bwa ha ha, does that actually work? i don't like having the logo there either.

Back