Full-throttle controller short?

V_Mark

100 W
I bought a folder a couple of weeks ago (see http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22324)and I'm having a throttle/controller issue. I've been running with the stock 24v battery. Occasionally, after braking and nearly coming to a stop, the motor will kick on with no action from me (as if I went full-throttle all of a sudden.) The problem is easy enough to catch at 24v by applying the brake cutoff, but I'm worried about it coming out from under me in the middle of an intersection when I up it to 36v.

A quick scan of all the connections didn't reveal anything that I could tell. I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to this stuff.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? I can't find any instances of it on the forum. Could it be the throttle? brakes? controller? I'm considering purchasing an ecrazyman controller and throttle if I can't figure this out. I'm not the most technical person when it comes to this stuff so any help is appreciated.

Motor: Bafang 24v 200w motor in 20" rear hub.

Throttle: Currie half-twist type with 3 led battery indicator

Controller:
"Controller for brushless motor"
Rated Voltage: 24V
Maximum current: 14A
Rated current: 7A
Low voltage protection: 21V
Throtlle adjustment voltage: 1.2v-4.4v
Product number: WS 0806021626
Ex-factory date: 06 2008
CE:G3M20211-1592-16

2010-10-26 11.21.38.jpg
2010-10-26 11.42.47.jpg

Actually not all that uncommon.

The biggest cause of this is a ground problem, in one case the wiper on a resistive throttle floats high in the absence of a ground on the bottom of the potentiometer.

The problem could be inside the throttle too.
(or Manual Assist control module, as i now call the modified version)

sometimes there is a mismatch between what the controller wants (hall or resistive throttle) and what it gets; be sure to double check this.

I highly suspect the throttle and wiring.

And finally consider installing a "Deadman switch" or power cutoff in easy reach of the rider.

you might try searchin e-s for "throttle problem"
d

Thanks for the info. I just took it for another ride and realized that I'm an idiot, at least I'm pretty sure what it is now. I'm not used to this style of PAS and the motor would kick on when I would reset my pedals while stopped at a light. On my older Ezip, the PAS would only work if you had the throttle engaged, while on this one you just have to pedal. Time to disconnect the PAS!

HE MAN
pleasei bought similar folder bike with same configuration
how u disconect PAS pedal assist?
best reg

Hi I have one of these Bikes does anyone know where I con get a controller for it ? Richard.

V_Mark said:
Thanks for the info. I just took it for another ride and realized that I'm an idiot, at least I'm pretty sure what it is now. I'm not used to this style of PAS and the motor would kick on when I would reset my pedals while stopped at a light. On my older Ezip, the PAS would only work if you had the throttle engaged, while on this one you just have to pedal. Time to disconnect the PAS!
The PAS will give full power and continue with full power for approximately 2 seconds after you stop pedalling. The throttle always over-rides the PAS. If you pedal at the same time as using the throttle, the power comes from the throttle, but the controller knows that you're pedalling so that when you close the throttle at the same time as you stop pedalling, the PAS will take over and give full power for approximately 2 seconds unless you use the brakes to activate the cut-off even though you don't pedal aftr closing the throttle. Strange logic, but that's what they do. You'll get used to it, but if you really don't like it you can disconnect the PAS at the controller - just follow the wire.

Just to clarify some. Controller failure resulting in WOT was more common on brushed controllers. So ebrakes became mandatory equipment in some jurisdictions.

I think it is fairly rare in brushless controllers, but of course throttle issues can result in a similar effect. It's still WOT, but not caused by the actual controller.

Richard said:
Hi I have one of these Bikes does anyone know where I con get a controller for it ? Richard.

I blew mine up a while back and just ordered one from ecrazyman. Look him up on Ebay. I got the 36v 350w controller with the low-voltage cutoff programmed to work with a 24v battery. It's a bit more powerful than the stock controller.

Back