Yes I've made alot of progress. Apologies I gave up on the 'build log' as there didn't seem to be much interest on here. So here's a little update:
Work is sporadic since I have to travel for business so the project goes on hold for 3 week stretches which is a pain. Please note that the photos may not be cronological e.g. the next one showing the chain drive has the tractor in a much more advnanced state of paint.
I welded up a little motor mount and got the motor on there. Chain drive to the gearbox was really easy to install with the taperlock hub. Mounting the sprocket on the motor was a little harder since it engages with flats on the shaft but I dremelled the sprocket out to suit without a problem.
By then the batteries had arrived so I welded up battery trays out of 20mm steel angle, the same I'd used for the motor mount. This was the first welding I'd ever done and it was a lot of fun.
Then I removed the motor and spent a looooong time on paint. I used a cup brush to remove all the loose rust and paint then primed it with red oxide. Followed by a couple of coats of green gloss. All done with a brush but the finish is OK - I'd call it agricultural
I say painting took a while but it was largely down to the cold temperatures we were experiencing, 4 days just to get to a touch dry state for a 2nd coat. The yellow paint you see was even worse than the green as it was so thin it took 4 or 5 coats! I ended up building a tent out of sheets and had a 2kW heater blowing for the duration just to get the paint to cure.
Once the paint had dried (eventually) I wired up the motor controller and threw the 3 new batteries- 3x 75Ah 12v deep cycle lead acid. They were the biggest I could fit. I put a simple foot switch over by the foot brake, a pot on the dash and a toggle switch for forwards/reverse. I had a short test drive in the snow and it worked really great. Accereration/deceleration was really smooth and almost silent. Power seems more than adequate. Very pleased
Then I stripped her down AGAIN ready to make up brackets for the seat and removed the front wheels so I could get new tyres and wheel bearings on the front. I've painted up the wheels front and back too.
This is an old tractor and some of the parts are very hard to find. I've been waiting 4 weeks now for the bearings and I've got another 2 weeks for the tyres to come from Germany. Once I get the front wheels back on I can remount the batteries and finish off the wiring.
I've got a +/- 30A ammeter for the dash and a 36v battery charge meter from a golf cart to fit too. Then all she'll need is a cowl over the batteries.
This is the latest photo I have. I'll take another and post later.