Ford F250 remote controlled for farm use

Rassy

1 MW
Interesting conversion by an Oregon rancher and his mechanic buddy of a large truck to electric for heavy duty farm use. It pulls a large trailer loaded with hay and can be controlled by a remote. Tops out at 50 MPH on the road.

They spent about $13,000 on parts and are putting together a manual on how they did it.

http://beefmagazine.com/business/0801-remote-controlled-truck-feeds-cattle

I think if he has been doing EVs for 20 years, he probably has a pretty good idea of how long the batteries will last if treated properly.

I'm looking to start doing some major farming on the land in Hawaii. I always have a hard time working with other people, having a remote controlled truck will make my life so much easier. :lol:

many remote rural locations actually have power lines running through the area. the guvment could make it a program to build charging locations in these remote spots, and let it be cheap and affordable too. no aerospace overbuilt super expensive project. just a 220 outlet capable of 30-80A service. the capital cost of the transformer would be from some enviro program cloud.

Myers staged a “pull off” between the electric and a Ford F250 diesel. The two trucks, pointed in opposite directions and attached from hitch to hitch by a chain, engaged in a tug of war. Both trucks are rated at about the same horsepower, with the diesel outweighing the electric by about 700 lbs.

I think the author has got that the wrong way around?

Punx0r said:
Myers staged a “pull off” between the electric and a Ford F250 diesel. The two trucks, pointed in opposite directions and attached from hitch to hitch by a chain, engaged in a tug of war. Both trucks are rated at about the same horsepower, with the diesel outweighing the electric by about 700 lbs.

I think the author has got that the wrong way around?

I kinda doubt they got it wrong. One has been "modified" and the other has a big diesel engine and all the bits needed to make that work.

Sounds like it's got about 2.5kwh worth of lead on the conversion, based on "35¢ to power up". Anyone know what that should weigh?

REdiculous said:
Sounds like it's got about 2.5kwh worth of lead on the conversion, based on "35¢ to power up". Anyone know what that should weigh?
Trojan T-105 6V 225Ah Flooded Battery weights ~62lbs...

1148lbs.

Talk about heft...sheesh. :shock:

So what do you figure the engine, muffler, radiator, full gas tank, starter battery (or 2), AC capable of cooling my house, etc, etc..weighs?

Curious, is all....maybe they did get it wrong? :?

Back