Most every non-bike project I worked on today didn't work as planned, so I decided to walk away from them for a while to let my mind stew on them, and worked on the stuff already planned for this bike: turn signals, brake lights, headlight mounting and switch. Fortunately it was simple enough that I got it working in only a couple of hours.
First up was the brake light, since I already had most of it done, just needed to reposition the switch and adjust it to trigger on even a tiny lever pull, but not bend the switch arm under full braking. I thought I would have to make a bracket, but it turns out the front attachment for the rear rack is in EXACTLY the right spot already....
I bolted the microswitch thru the rack mount, and adjusted it so it's little wheel rides right on the end of the brake arm, and it does exactly what I wanted it to do, iwth a nice satisfying click on engage and release.
Next up was the headlight mount, which turned out to be far easier than I thought. The steel headlight "case" is thin but strong, and sits easily right under the front "handle" on the front baskets.
Since that wire handle is not much different in diameter from a seat's under-frame, I did the obvious thing and used part of a seatpost clamp to hold it on there. The only other thing was to use an old retail shelving clamp with integral bolt and weld it to the headlight casing, so I'd have something to apply the clamping force with.
Assembled, tigthned down, aimed, and then all done. It *shouldn't* shift under vibration, but it probably will, so when it does I'll stick some foam behind/above it, against the basket/headlight spacing.
Then I mounted this switch using some aluminum bracket salvaged from something (dunno what anymore), and ziptied it to just under the Fusin headlight/keyswitch unit, upside down under the bars (only place the wires I used would reach, as I somehow made them too short despite measuring).
Now for the hard part--turn signals. I got the stuff off the bars on teh left to get the Fusin control cluster off, opened the FCC up, and found the signal switch wires were separate and had been cut rigth at the casing. That's ok, as I wanted them totally independent anyway. I desoldered the ones already in place and soldered in my own. Tested and verified they worked to connect the left and right side lights to the battery and light them up, then went on a hunt for an old turn signal thermal flasher I knew I had somewhere.
After almost 45 minutes I finally found it, but it has lost it's outer casing. So I pulled a tiny "solo cup" saved long ago from some take-out place somewhere, and used that as the cover to keep it from getting wet or shorting against things. Ugly but functional.
Wired it up between battery positive and the turn signal switch center input pin, and switched to each side...and got nothing. Retested without it, and got nothing again. But it had just worked before this! I checked with a meter and the switch has no connection to anything inside in any position.
Opened up the FCC and found the little board had pulled loose, as I had not closed the cover casing *completely*, I guess, and it had not latched around the board on teh back of the switch to keep it from popping off under spring tension of contacts. Fixed that, and got nice blinkies as expected.
Put all the bike back together, and tested again, and realized I had wired the left and right backwards on the switch. Not really backwards, as that's the way the switch is *marked*, but isn't the way I want to *use* it. The switch is setup so that if you flick it right, it points to the left arrow for left turn signal, and vice-versa, whcih I think is dumb, and is backwards from every other control I've had for this purpose so far. So for my purposes I need it to engage the right signal when flicked right, and left when flicked left. Easy to fix, but had to swap the wires at the turn signal flasher junction (much easier than taking the FCC apart again to unsolder/resolder). Now it works as expected.
Some pics from a couple of hours ago when I finally got that far, and it was still very much light outside. Not direct sunlight, but still bright enough that shows you can still see my lighting pretty easily, even with the camera flash (taht kept going off even though it was too bright for it to do so on the auto setting it was on--this camera is really starting to act up a lot, with focus being the worst of the problems).
No lights on, no flash.
No lights on, flash on.
Lights on, flash on.
Lights on, flash on, turn signal on leftside
Same, from rear:
Beam/spot of headlight at end of porch, a litltle more than a car length away:
Headligth viewed from same distance (cropped to show bike better)
Oh, I also flipped the throttle over to see if it helps with hand position/numbness. I think I would have to raise and change bars before I can really fix that problem.
No riding today, though, so more data about that and the Fusin kit tomorrow after work.