Upgrade time! 40mph max speed target. Help

Yes I'm still having the same intermittent stuttering issue. It happens mostly when I'm accelerating hard or if I'm pulling a heavy load (trailer) the motor will start having this sensation of ticking or misfiring. It's hard to describe. If I ease off the throttle a bit and then try to increase power smoothly it minimizes the problem. I've just been ignoring it since I don't care to replace the halls or wiring just yet.

It's interesting that the hall wiring fixed your issue rather than the hall itself. Was there a nick in the wire or something? They are really thin wires so I guess they could be damaged inside without necessarily showing damage on the insulation.

I'm now leaning towards throwing my HS into a 20" wheel. I don't think I'll have any issues with overheating if I do that. I should be able to run 88.8v and 65 amps no problem with that setup. Top speed is enough for practical purposes street riding with traffic. Battery capacity is the limiting factor riding at high speed anyway. The acceleration should be awesome in the 20" wheel, 130lbs of thrust, almost double what I have now! :shock:

My area is fairly flat but there are big hills around that I'd like to be able to go up without fear of my motor going up in smoke. The 20" wheel should take care of that. Most of my riding is on roads, sidewalks and paved paths. Commute distance is nil for now, but it was about 9km each way up until recently. My transportation is my bike, so it's more than just a hobby for me.

I've got an 18fet 4110 controller on the way plus 1 kilowatt hour worth of batteries. Now I'm just debating between 24" and 20" wheel to migrate my HS3540 to. Leaning towards the 20". Probably going to run 24" front 20" rear. Will throw up some pictures when everything arrives. :D

I finally got a cycle analyst! No more range anxiety. Being able to see the battery voltage, amp hours used and instantaneous power is very helpful for getting the most out of my battery pack. Prior to having the cycle analyst I would always cut my rides short for fear of taking the battery down too low.

Seeing the real time power consumption has been illuminating. Power consumption goes up dramatically even on slight uphill grades and accelerating. If not being careful with the throttle it's so easy to ride very inefficiently.

The current limiting feature is nice with some tweaking of the settings. However the speed limiting setting so far has been very jerky. It's like the power goes off when the limit is reached and then it goes back on again at high power draw, not efficient at all. I was hoping the speed would be held steady at a low power draw like cruise control, but I suppose that's not the same thing.

electr0n said:
I finally got a cycle analyst! No more range anxiety. Being able to see the battery voltage, amp hours used and instantaneous power is very helpful for getting the most out of my battery pack. Prior to having the cycle analyst I would always cut my rides short for fear of taking the battery down too low.

Seeing the real time power consumption has been illuminating. Power consumption goes up dramatically even on slight uphill grades and accelerating. If not being careful with the throttle it's so easy to ride very inefficiently.

The current limiting feature is nice with some tweaking of the settings. However the speed limiting setting so far has been very jerky. It's like the power goes off when the limit is reached and then it goes back on again at high power draw, not efficient at all. I was hoping the speed would be held steady at a low power draw like cruise control, but I suppose that's not the same thing.

check the manual for the ca... its something to do with how fast it reacts to your speed. ramp down that time, and it will react slower, enabling it to hold your speed 'smoothly-er'.

Yeah I saw that there are some settings to tweak which is nice. I'm still messing around with it. I'm running a 40 amp controller and I turned the amp limit down to 15 and set the throttle to 1.68v to limit the max power and top speed at full throttle. Those settings work very well to extend range and tame the power when pulling my kid in a trailer.

I've exceeded my stated goal of 40mph max. I've now got a top speed of 50mph and I'm pretty much at the limits of this motor without modifying it for better heat dissipation.

I've got an 18 fet lyen controller on the bike now, 3 speed switch and half twist throttle. After switching controllers and replacing a partially melted anderson connector on one of the phase wires my stuttering problem is gone. I've had the bike up to 88.8v nominal at 35 to 37 amps. The performance at this power level is a lot of fun. The motor does get quite hot after a brief 10 to 15 minute ride so I'm trying to be careful. I want to pick up a thermometer and maybe drill out the side covers. I'm just not too excited about pulling the stator out for fear of damaging something.

The 3 speed switch is very handy. I can already limit the throttle via the cycle analyst but it's nice being able to do it with the flick of a switch. I'm not sure if I like the half twist throttle. I find it hard to hold a certain speed compared with the thumb throttle.

Here's how the bike looks now. Pretty standard stuff. I have the batteries in two separate handlebar bags. One bag sits on a pair of right angle brackets which are hose clamped to the fork. The other bag sits on top and is velcro strapped to the handle bars. I've got a strap from an old backpack holding the bottom bag on the brackets and an additional stretchy velcro strap for additional support. This setup works very well. The bike still handles quite good. Steering is not affected aside being a little stiffer to turn due to the weight. Nothing bounces around and the cheap front suspension is not affected much either.

Sideview.JPG
Frontview.JPG

Back