Aesthetic pleasing designs

I do love the dogati, and AJ's ride.

Sometimes the claw shaped 'seatpole' on the dogati does look a lot like a canopener for a butthole! :mrgreen:

Samd said:
I do love the dogati, and AJ's ride.
.............:
+1 2 of my favorite builds. I'm hoping to ultimately build something like the dogati, minus the 'box' for a more subtle look.

Samd said:

Sometimes the claw shaped 'seatpole' on the dogati does look a lot like a canopener for a butthole! :mrgreen:

:shock: :shock:
damit now you put the image in my head... :evil:

33hhSl.jpg

Not so clean looking in this pic. Need wiring clean up. The charge plugs go in the rear rack bag now.

Battery box is too wide to be sexy. More like a whale or something. Oh well. Pretty color at least.

Here is one of mine a commuter.
View attachment 2

The mountain bike
Specialized after.jpg

The race bike (almost finished in this pic)
2012-02-16 16.41.56.jpg

Looks good to me. But then again, performance is 99% and looks is only 1% to me. I can remove/install battery pack in seconds. Same for light pack on top of controller
bike01.JPG

Is that a Kettwiesel?

Some build pics

Attachments

• IMG_1599.JPG
    IMG_1599.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 4,351
  • P1010606.JPG
    P1010606.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 4,351
  • P1010612.JPG
    P1010612.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 4,351
  • P1020243.JPG
    P1020243.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 4,351
qnzP2l.jpg

Just did this today. They're water proof LED strips. I thought they were red. I installed them and was going to run them down the back of my rack. It would of looked awesome! It still looks cool and is legal, but kinda says "HEY PAY ATTENTION TO ME COPPER!" Maybe when I install a real taillight I install a switch for these ricer lights. They may be very useful for working on the motor.

You could make them red (at the cost of brightness) with red lens repair tape, or party wrap, etc. (or red stage light gels, but those are expensive).

Great idea AW. Red saran wrap would be perfect. I actually colored my night lights red with a sharpie in my house so they don't interfere with melatonin production so I can fall asleep easier.

auraslip said:
Great idea AW. Red saran wrap would be perfect. I actually colored my night lights red with a sharpie in my house so they don't interfere with melatonin production so I can fall asleep easier.

I was reading your post and nodding thinking "good idea" to use the sharpie, but then you got all weird with night lights and melatonin... :shock:

As to pleasing designs. I like functional over pretty but like to have both if possible. Mine could use some work on the latter.

Gary

Production of melatonin by the pineal gland is inhibited by light to the retina and permitted by darkness. Its onset each evening is called the dim-light melatonin onset (DLMO).

It is principally blue light, around 460 to 480 nm, that suppresses melatonin,[31] increasingly with increased light intensity and length of exposure. Until recent history, humans in temperate climates were exposed to few hours of (blue) daylight in the winter; their fires gave predominantly yellow light. Wearing glasses that block blue light in the hours before bedtime may avoid melatonin loss. Kayumov et al. showed that light containing only wavelengths greater than 530 nm does not suppress melatonin in bright-light conditions.[32] Use of blue-blocking goggles the last hours before bedtime has also been advised for people who need to adjust to an earlier bedtime, as melatonin promotes sleepiness.[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin#In_humans

TL;DR blue lights make you not sleepy. I actually use a program to take the blue out of my monitor at sundown to make it easier to sleep. http://stereopsis.com/flux/

Interesting; I didn't know all that...but it makes sense, as apparently I have successfully been doing something like that already. I have for a few years used a "nightlight" that is an old Aerocool fan controller meant to take two faceplates in a computer case, but mounted up above my bed just out of direct view. It has three light modes: blue, magenta, and red. I found that I could sleep easier if I used the red light, and I woke quicker if I used the blue light, and felt better or more alert if I used the magenta light. (all when I had no other light in the room except sometimes a computer monitor dimmed way down). I just never knew why.

I'm trying out the program now, it should be useful given my oft-changing work schedule, especially since I have the bedroom windows blacked out. It iwll pr9bably help more than just the light above.

Thats a different look!

And as for the other discussion in this thread, I agree about light colour and melatonin.
FWIW, all those LED and CFL lightglobes are gonna be keeping my kids' generation awake....

Not an e-bike, but in honor of the Team Fortress 2 Pyro update, perhaps a design inspiration for someone:

YD3Yz.png

Line the unicorn with electroluminescent material and you've got a perfect Burning Man bike. :mrgreen:

nicobie said:
Not at the same level as some, but not too bad either.

I like that a lot. The curves of your batt box fit the flow of the bike, and the monolithic black shape disappears. I'd say it is pretty stealthy for its size.

-JD

Back