Custom_CHRoMo_CRuiSER

I have started fabrication of a replica Basman frame using 4130 CHRoMo
I plan to run a rewound Turnigy CA120 (more on that soon) coupled
with another ThuDSTeR 2 speed box, it will be powered by 66v worth
of LiPO...

Much has changed in the last 6 months, AJ is no longer 'single'!! he's been to Bali (first time out of the country)
and no longer has his old workshop setup!!! I am now living with a lovely lady who has kindly allowed me to set up
shop in her HUGE garage! Or as Karan calls it, my new "ManCave" LoL
either way, i have more space for more machinery now teehee... Thankyou bebe' xoxo :wink:

Without further ado here are the first fabrication pics of the new chromo frame, a direct 'copy' of the last
frame, which as of last night found a new home! a friend of ES forum member 1000w
took it home with him to transform into a pedal only bike...

So!..First up i needed a 1 1/8 inch head tube, i have a couple here however both are mild
steel, i want this frame LIGHT so decided on using a piece of 4130

fyi: all pics for this build log are taken using my HTC Sensation's camera...

IMAG0104.jpg

I knocked up an extended fork i had laying about to use as a basic 'jig' to align a set of
steel cups correctly, so they could be welded in place-->

IMAG0107.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

The end result was a nice light head tube with inbuilt steel cups! granted it will require 'major surgery'
if these cups ever wear out and need replacing, the amount of use my bikes get though lol
hell will freeze over before the cups wear out LoL..

IMAG0110.jpg

Thanks to ThuDs efforts i.e purchasing packaging and posting a roller bender he obtained
for me from Harbor Freight
, i can now bend the tubing, kink free!!

IMAG0123.jpg

IMAG0124.jpg

This 4130 cuts like hot knife through butter using thin cuttoff disks on the 5inch
angle grinder but, bending the stuff though, sheeeet its a task and a half!!!...
A Good mate and I were swinging off the wheel on the bender so much
it clean snapped the spokes straight off the hub on the bender, the connection of the spokes
has since been reinforced-->

IMAG0378-1.jpg

Thanks to good buddy Snapper for doing this at Benginnerings workshop..

with bender repaired, the remaining tubing for the construction of the front half of the frame continued-->

IMAG0125.jpg

The front downtube had to be done as it also was on the first frame, in two pieces

IMAG0372.jpg

I have traced the outline of the old frame onto a sheet of cardboard, makes it easier
to ensure the bends are accurate, i want it as close as possible to the former mild steel frame...

Using a small piece of 4130, i made a slit along its length so i was then able to slot it inside
the two pieces of tubing at the join-->

IMAG0375.jpg

IMAG0374.jpg

Sleeved and ready for welding, should make for a very strong join imo...

IMAG0376.jpg

One of the things i wasn't happy with on the first frame was the seat tube bend, it was full of kinks and not
bent so it 'followed' the circumference of the tire correctly, with new bender, i was able to
achieve a nice flowing kink free bend, the following pic is where i am currently at
in the fabrication process-->

IMAG0385.jpg

The frame jig has been pulled out from 'storage' so i can mount the tubing and get the front
half of the frame assembled, i want to get this done today, some may have noticed
the smaller horizontal tube 'missing' in above pics, this will also be added, to-day ::fingers crossed::

I shall update this worklog as i progress through the build, i want to knock this over as fast as possible
so i have a ride ready for when the weather fines up...I have 90% of the components as most
are taken directly from the former bike, few more batteries a new controller
along with the ThuDSTeR two speed, are still on the "shopping list"

Back with more soon folks...

KiM

First! :p
Good to see you back at it mate, rested up and ready for what will no doubt be another killer build.
Sounds like you really fell on your feet with Karan. If only you could feel them :p

You said it's a basman replica but then said you've traced it off your old frame. So are you copying the basman style and applying it to the dimensions of your old frame ? Or was your old frame pretty close to a basman anyway ?
I was checking out the electric 346s just last week actually - they do look sweet and I love the look of the enclosed tank. You planning somehting like that or keeping the weight low like last time ?

BaseModelRightside_600x600.gif

PS: You look like Guile from street fighter :lol:

head.jpg

Looking fantastic my friend!

Excited to have you back in the game! The board just isn't quite the same with out you. :)

Your new frame is all ready looking like art, and showing off your amazing hand-crafting skills you've trained into that team of beavers that does your metal working for you. ;)

Glad to hear you're going to give the big CA-120 a go, it's a motor with a ton of potential. I don't remember how many poles it has, but a Kelly can only do something like 1000hz commutation freq maximum, so if it's say 10 pole pairs, the fastest speed firmware kelly can only spin it to 6000rpm (if my math is right, somebody check me). Now, that might be plenty to milk all the useful power out of that motor, so it may not be an issue at all, but definitely something to consider when looking at your gearing options.

Have seen some of your past work via a mate of mine, great work, this new frame looks pretty slick, looking forward to seeing it progress!

Hey AJ,

I am looking forward to seeing this progress. I can only imagine how it will go with the reduced weight and more power. It will be scary. In a good way of course!

You gonna go with a kick stand vs. the actuator??

Good to see you are back in Perth safe and sound and things are working out with Karan :mrgreen:

D

hilarious, didn't know AJ was in street fighter
ajguile.jpg

mud2005 said:

It depends on how many cocktails he's had !!! :twisted: :shock:

Welcome back Kim !
You've been missed alot around here.
Glad to see all is going reeeeal well and welcome Karen !
Amazing work as usual Mate...Cheers
Can't wait to see more!

Rick

Hey!!

There's a new boy in town! didn't recognise you for a minute there ha ha, yes +1 glad to see you are back in the fold and with a lady too :) happy days, does this new found attention from the fairer sex mean we will now see a much softer side to you then? ha ha ha ...no no that wouldn't be right, I must say I am jealous of your hair though it looks as thick as mud up there ( I keep mine short these days, or as I always say I have grown taller than it ha ha)

Good to see you back :)

Knoxie

Looking good Kim, you and the bike. Sounds like life is treating you well and you've been having some fun. Glad to have you back it makes the forum far more entertaining. Looking forward to seeing another AJ bike come together. I won't expect the usual insane pace you work at as you have some distractions now. But you should have it on the road in oh... 3 days right? haha

Clay

Welcome back, my friend. I cannot tell you how pleased I am with your return. Also, congrats on tying the knot. Our 20th anniversary it this December. I am happy in that regard!

So, 4130....... Do you own a TIG welder? I just picked one up last week. My builds promise to become much better now as well. Tubing bender, roller, and break are next. :mrgreen:

Matt

AJ

And where is you woman going to sit on this bike? Shouldn’t you be doing a tandem?

My personal belief is that you are an alien clone.

Bubba

Damm I thougth the board was clear from cruisers :) Honestly man each time I'm seeing one of your builds I start drawing oldshool racing cruisers!

Keep up the good work.

Adam

GMUseless said:
Looks killer allready man. Reading about you man handling that bender reminded of seeing this a few days ago...it's like magic:
DAAAMN! I need me one a those! Price tag would probably make the visa cry tho.

The anti-frock meister is back in townes with a new frock of hair... "record scratches"... what the hayhohell??? :lol:

She must be super hot to fix that frock knot on top. :shock: :twisted:

Look'n good. :D

Hyena said:
First!

You said it's a basman replica but then said you've traced it off your old frame. So are you copying the basman style and applying it to the dimensions of your old frame ? Or was your old frame pretty close to a basman anyway ?

Yes the old cruiser was pretty close to Basman, the new one i believe will be closer again
well, the front half anyways...i have something a little different for the suspension seat this time
it calls for some hefty size aluminium some sealed bearings and a FoX shock...
PS: You look like Guile from street fighter

Hyena said:

LoL...yeah the hair was a bit "blonde" wasn't it, since been cut off and toned down

1000w said:
At last you're back Kim!
Great work, I'm looking forward to the finished product and borrowing that lovely bender.

Cheers Matt, benders yours the moment i finished using it buddy ... I believe your going with mild steel over chromo
due to cost?i was thinking now you have the new TiG why not do a BasMaN replica in Aluminium?!

liveforphysics said:
Looking fantastic my friend!

Excited to have you back in the game! The board just isn't quite the same with out you.

Your new frame is all ready looking like art, and showing off your amazing hand-crafting skills you've trained into that team of beavers that does your metal working for you.

Glad to hear you're going to give the big CA-120 a go, it's a motor with a ton of potential. I don't remember how many poles it has, but a Kelly can only do something like 1000hz commutation freq maximum, so if it's say 10 pole pairs, the fastest speed firmware kelly can only spin it to 6000rpm (if my math is right, somebody check me). Now, that might be plenty to milk all the useful power out of that motor, so it may not be an issue at all, but definitely something to consider when looking at your gearing options.

G'DaY Luke I have been checking in regularly but havent been posting alot, other
"things" have taken priority of late over e-bikes, i'm slowly finding a balance between home life
and my hobby..Thankfully the lil lady is very very supportive of not only the e-bikes but anything
that interests me, shes the very encouraging type :wink: ...the fact she has big breastassess doesn't hurt either teehehe
re: the motor glad you bought that up before i wasted 400 odd dollars on a Kelly, might have to go with a
18 or 24 fet Infinion to ensure reliability? i have space for a large controller alternatively,
i could use up some of the old pc watercooling gear i got laying about and watercool the
heavily modded 12 fet Infinion i already have ...decisions decisions...

Ypedal said:
clean shave, haircut, wtf... it's just weird man... but either way.. sissyfied or not we're glad to get you back posting !

envious of the tube bender..... must get tube bender.....

HAHA Gaston, yeah the hair takes a bit of getting used to, shaving every day is bloody hassle too
but the benefits of it are more than worth the "effort" put in teehehe
The bender for the price (around $50 bucks from harbor frieght) was well worth it..cost
quadruple that in postage...still more than worth it seeing its around 700 bucks to get similar in Oz
Wouldnt have been possible without Thud, huge props to the man!

Staunch Trooper said:
Have seen some of your past work via a mate of mine, great work, this new frame looks pretty slick, looking forward to seeing it progress!

Thankyou Staunch Trooper :wink: Shall do my best to turn out a professional looking result
this time round...she will at least be lighter and stronger! hopefully prettier too LoL

Danny Mayes said:
Hey AJ,

I am looking forward to seeing this progress. I can only imagine how it will go with the reduced weight and more power. It will be scary. In a good way of course!

You gonna go with a kick stand vs. the actuator??

Good to see you are back in Perth safe and sound and things are working out with Karan

The reduced weight alone would be enough for extra thrills from naught to 80km/hr
hopping the CA120 i have rewound comes to the party and performs like Thuds CA120
powered bikes...I want to do away with the actuator, its just to damn heavy, with
my lighter body weight i can support my self with my legs quite well and think i can get away
with a centre stand, i nly need assistance getting on and off the bike legs down when
stopped i'm capable of holding the bike upright...

Bali was AWESOME we had a ball
the weather couldnt have been better the people are over friendly the food was amazing
and everything is so bloody cheap...best of all magic Mushrooms are freakin LEGAL in Bali
bahaha...too good, going back early next year for another stint...

Will have you and your Karen around for dinner again soon :wink: you still in the "fly in fly out"
job mate? shall text you over the weekend and arrange a catch up,at least like to see the progress on your
bike too!

POPS said:
mud2005 said:

It depends on how many cocktails he's had !!! :twisted: :shock:

Welcome back Kim !
You've been missed alot around here.
Glad to see all is going reeeeal well and welcome Karen !
Amazing work as usual Mate...Cheers
Can't wait to see more!

LoL.. thanks Rick.. I'm in a happier place than i have been for many years and owe it
to Karan, she is an amazing gurl

knoxie said:
Hey!!

There's a new boy in town! didn't recognise you for a minute there ha ha, yes +1 glad to see you are back in the fold and with a lady too happy days, does this new found attention from the fairer sex mean we will now see a much softer side to you then? ha ha ha ...no no that wouldn't be right, I must say I am jealous of your hair though it looks as thick as mud up there ( I keep mine short these days, or as I always say I have grown taller than it ha ha)

Good to see you back

You better believe it Knoxie...i iz still "badass" though, just a newer more "prettified" version BWAAHAHAA
The hair has remained short but not as blonde...LoL I want to grow some mutton chops but Karan said
she would ship me back to my place if i did so the love of boobages winz out over mutton chops....
hrmz..maybe i could talk her into accepting a "soul patch" etard stylin' hahahaa

flyinmonkie said:
Looking good Kim, you and the bike. Sounds like life is treating you well and you've been having some fun. Glad to have you back it makes the forum far more entertaining. Looking forward to seeing another AJ bike come together. I won't expect the usual insane pace you work at as you have some distractions now. But you should have it on the road in oh... 3 days right? haha

HAHAA actually was thinking more like 5-6 days Clay :mrgreen: :p No it wont be super quick but should have it in
rolling stage pretty quick, theres just a few things i need to purchase to get it running, i have most
here though as it will be a swap of components from the old bike...cheers for the welcome anyhootz
OH...been keeping an eye on the mods to your ride too, iz it all still up and running?

recumpence said:
Welcome back, my friend. I cannot tell you how pleased I am with your return. Also, congrats on tying the knot. Our 20th anniversary it this December. I am happy in that regard!

So, 4130....... Do you own a TIG welder? I just picked one up last week. My builds promise to become much better now as well. Tubing bender, roller, and break are next.

Mr Recumpence SiiiiR! Thankyou... I just spotted you have a couple of high end builds on the cards, i greatly
look forward to those appearing on the boards soon! They will know doubt be stunning like
all your builds in the past...you is the master of bling..
Aas to the welder, yes i do have a TiG never used it though, the welder i bought is a 3 in one
can only do steel though no non ferrous metal...its an inverter welder, the mig is
fantastic, still using flux core she welds amazingly well...ill get around to getting some gas
and doing some TiG in the future no doubt for now though im happy with the results i get
with the mig...

dontsendbubbamail said:
AJ

And where is you woman going to sit on this bike? Shouldn’t you be doing a tandem?

My personal belief is that you are an alien clone.

Bubba

BWAHAHA i should of guessed this from you Bubba seeing you own a tadem or two...
I actual have ::gulp:: a FROCK motor sitting here a mate bought for a project that
never eventuated, i'm going to instal that on Karans mountain bike so we can
go for a ride together...two up on electric hrmz, not this black ducks cupp-o-tea
im afraid...never liked two up on my motorbikes either...

bzhwindtalker said:
Damm I thougth the board was clear from cruisers Honestly man each time I'm seeing one of your builds I start drawing oldshool racing cruisers!

Keep up the good work.

Hey Adam! i been following your progress closely, the mid mounted frock motor seems a winnagh!
The videos you edit and post are inspirational, the varying camera angles and sound track combine
for a truly pleasureable viewing experience, please do more!!!

GMUseless said:
Looks killer allready man. Reading about you man handling that bender reminded of seeing this a few days ago...it's like magic:

[youtube]yigRgG_NIyU[/youtube]

Thanks buddy ...that bender is freaking AMAAAZING i never seen anything like it before, i can only
imagine how pricey it would be... Showed it to a metal fabricating mate of mine last night, hes been in the industry
over 20 years and never seen anything like it either, he was gobbsmacked.

deVries said:
The anti-frock meister is back in townes with a new frock of hair... "record scratches"... what the hayhohell??? :lol:

She must be super hot to fix that frock knot on top.
Look'n good.

Hiya deVires, yes i IZ!! and yes i dooz LoL and yes she IZ ...cheers mate... keep an eye on this space for regular updates
from this point on

OK think that's it for the replies thanks all for the welcome and well wishes, i hope i can come up with
something that inspires others to give the custom frame building a shot!

I have the bike in the jig and am welding
it up, i took a couple of "teaser" pics yesterday, i was slowed slightly had to 'redo' the head tube
profiling to get a better head angle or i would have had it all together by this time
i wasn't happy with it previously now, its dead smack on what the old frame was, which was perfect
for the Mazzochi forks im using.

a few shot showing the profile on the tubing, done with flap disk on 5in angle grinder-->

IMAG0392.jpg

Mounted in frame jig ready for tacking-->

IMAG0391.jpg

Yup hehe i even got my flags hanging in Karans garage LoL

IMAG0390.jpg

She came home early yesterday and worked from home, booted me out of my wheelchair and took over
the "central command" station in the workshop HAHAHA

IMAG0389.jpg

Im back into it soon as i hit enter...will have more progress shots later today..

cheers all

KiM

I'll have to drop in you some time KiM. I'll bring a few of my LiPo boards too if you like. How many Ah are you looking to run?

You're making that thing beautiful all ready, while I'm cutting mine apart. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

IMG_20120627_201235.jpg

Glad to hear you had a blast bro. Yes those shakes are indded delightful. I am glad they are all the way in Bali and not available down the road :|

Love to catch up and see the progress in person. Speak soon.

D

Hey Kim,

Like you I've been lurking mostly lately. The bike is still up and running, well leaning against the wall anyway. I haven't been ridding much as it has been cold and wet. I should be getting the final bits done, but have been lacking the motivation to work in a freezing garage. As I slowly finish it, I'll keep the thread updated.

Looking forward to seeing your new ride come together.

Clay

Come on KiM! Give us an update on the build! It's beer o'clock FFS :p

jonescg said:
Come on KiM! Give us an update on the build! It's beer o'clock FFS :p

HAHA hiya CHRiS..sorry for the delay, i actually had to have a SHOWER first :shock: I know WTF right!! :mrgreen: LMAO
OH.. and definitely would LOVE to catch up, ill pm my new addy if you havent got it? I have seen the boards
dont have cash for new set of loose cells at the moment what i likely/will do upfront is just add
4 22v Turnigys to my existing 8 that are in great shape... would like some boards however for RON
i plan on 66v 15ah setup...

@Luke..mate, couldnt you find a bigger cutting tool sheesh mate, thats a lil small scale for CHRoMO
bloody woosie thought you were badass hahahaha :wink: :p

So today was very productive, for my speed, i got the entire front half tacked then fully welded and all but one joint
"cleaned with the air die grinder... I dont have photochop on the lappy out here in the workshop so ill just
whack all pics up one after the other, also have a couple bois over for a beer so can't be too unsocialble..LoL

IMAG0393.jpg

IMAG0399.jpg

IMAG0403.jpg

IMAG0400.jpg

IMAG0402.jpg

IMAG0408.jpg

Gotta say this thin walled chromo took a bit of getting used to in the welding department, i thought i had the welder
set up good worked GREAT for tacking, hrmz..start doing more than a couple of cm run the metal heats up and BAM
holes... I went through alot of scrap before i was confident to tackle the welding of the frame, i have the entire
front half fully welded and all joints run over with the air die grinder, they will be invisible once powder coated
:p take that you TiG lovers tehehehe... :mrgreen:

IMAG0407.jpg

IMAG0406.jpg

The front half, guys, its SOOOO light i couldn't believe it when i first pulled it from the JiG and felt the weight
this is going to be ONE light ride!!

Of course i couldn't resist slipping in the forks and front wheel along with the better half holding a rear 24in HooKWoRM
(FYI: no longer made, i swapped my old frame for two brand spanking new 2 ply 24in Hookies i have 4 now should
last me a few years...)

IMAG0409.jpg

IMAG0412.jpg

Thats it for today chaps, tomorrow i will start on the rear end, which will need to house a 3 in rim UP...
Matt.P could you possibly post a pic below of your 24in x 3 wheel with the Hookie so the fellas know what will be on the
ass end of this new bike...will look THE SHIT...am retaining the front wheel as pictured above..

Back tomorrow..

KiM

Looking sharp AJ, as always. I am happy to see you back with another build. I love all the details in your builds.

Back