Endless-sphere Timeline.

liveforphysics said:
veloman said:
I think his limited-power angle is good. It's good because it's important to strive for efficiency in some cases. There is value in not needing 2kw+, and still getting around quickly for a bike. Less cost, weight, smaller motor, again less weight, able to ride a lighter bike, much easier to mount less battery, it retains more of a bike feel, vastly better range. I myself have been upping the power and enjoying it, but I am not going to say "<1000watts" is useless and a waste of time.

The reason he was banned has NOTHING to do with wanting sub 1kw bikes. That's a personal choice thing, and more power to him if he wants to preach sub 1kw bikes.

The problem was, he could go to elaborate lengths on a near-daily basis to try to spread incorrect information about how motors worked, controllers worked, aero, gearing, motor winds, etc.

It took a team of guys here working for quite a bit of time everyday just to constantly refute the absurdly wrong things he would post continuously, badly confusing newbs who need correct information more than anyone to have a good start in ebikes.

After YEARS of folks trying to set him straight on basic concepts of how a motor works, how gearing works etc, he STILL was trying to preach 100% wrong BS everywhere on the forum he could everyday.

This is why he was banned. Totally not related to wanting sub 1kw ebikes.

:mrgreen:

Karl's Bullshit Man is required.

[youtube]1lRIQGU2RRk[/youtube]

That timeline is a really cool idea, thanks for posting it!

Wow, I didn't realize there were only about 100 members when I joined April '07, I had already been lurking for a few months. I miss those days, everyone was just happy to share the EV grin back then, and didn't care what hardware you used to get it. Except for Randy Draper who hated anything that wasn't chain drive, there should be a footnote in there of when he got booted for being an ass about it. I guess he was just ahead of his time.

Wow, I didn't realize we had over 10,000 members now. Explosive growth!

-JD

Although I'd venture at least 10%, maybe twice that, are spammers (whether they've ever posted or not, since some just create a member profile with a link to their spamsite). :lol:

Miles said:
13638 now.
700 with 100 posts or more.
2425 with 10 posts or more.
20% of members have posted once or more....

Great info Miles, thank you, although those stats are not what I expected. I lurked for a month or two, but didn't actually sign up until I wanted to post. Does one have to sign up to access content these days?

I'd love to see the stats on IDs that share IP addresses :lol:

-JD

John in CR said:
I always derived entertainment value from his input, but apparently he rubbed the wrong guys the wrong way. I guess I got lucky and rubbed only the right guys the wrong way. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXw6znXPfy4

Miles said:
13638 now.

It'd be interesting to see how many lurkers there are with 0 or < 10 posts yet still frequently log in.
I know when I've organised group buys probably 1/3rd of the takers are people who PM me with 0 posts.

I don't know how you could check for activity, other than doing a representative sample......

You can get a lot of information from the members list, though.

Click on "Posts" in the header and note the membership total where the number of posts changes.

At the moment, there are 4340 members with more than 2 posts out of a total of 13953 (almost a 1/3rd).

yeah I guess short of clicking on each name and looking where it says 'last online' it's hard to tell.
Just looking at the first page of the member list though there's a few people who signed up right at the get go, made one or 2 posts and haven't been around since (eg dgamble, dom - signed up in 2006 and haven't logged in since) Randomly looking at other more recent users who've registered and have 0 most the majority of them haven't logged in since the day they registered. I wonder how many have joined just to see an attachment that came up in a google search. I know I've come across this often in other forums where I'll be looking for information on what ever topic, it comes up in google but then is not available to view because I'm not a member of that forum.

14,006 members as of this morning!

-JD

oatnet said:
14,006 members as of this morning!
-JD

Fun, but some large % probably with zero or only one post?

This is more fun?
Most users ever online was 236 on Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:34 pm

...but almost two years ago? What'd happen if we all agreed to logon to ES at the same time sometime soon... would it be rude? ..."blow up" the system in any way? If no harm done, might be a truer indication of the # of faithful here...

L0cK

Well, I can say that I've nuked at least a thousand or more spammers, so they don't show up against the memberlist. That includes old ones going back to 2007 (start of this version of ES). Might've nuked twice that number already; not sure.

Yet I am still not even close to catching up on the number of spammers that create lurker accounts and take months (sometimes years) to actually log in and post their spam. :(

Given that Aug 1 is a Wed, and at noon PST most people in NA will still be at work, you're not likely to get a lot of poeple from NA here unless they happen to have web access at work and can get away to do it, or if they don't work a typical weekday-daytime schedule.

What you should probalby do if you really want to have a well-attended "meetup" is create a thread about it in Events.

(also, your link just references this same page that your post is on. Did you mean it to go somewhere else?)

I think in the es timeline, it should be mentioned that the power-assist forum was very much a precursor to this forum,
it had been running for a number of years ( from memory) before es forum, and many of those posting on the power assist form
landed up going over to the esforum in its early stages ( in fact there was a bit of a mass migration)
So there is a wealth of information stored at power assist forum on what I guess are 'early' stages of understanding and experimenting with ebikes.
It would be a rather interesting exercise to put together a list of important ' discoveries' made by es forum members ( and power assist members)
just say for example a format a bit like this:
1.discovery: what determines the maximum rpm of a controller
2.(blurb on the discovery) : something to do with crystal resonance frequency
3.member who first posted the discovery ( cant remember: fetcher??)
4.date of the member posting their discovery ( no idea would have to research the threads)

It would be time consuming but I think a list of discoveries that have been important could be put together.

Miles said:
13638 now.

Along similar lines, here's the breakdown of 1000+ post members (as of July 2012):

Post Count | Number of Members
1001-2000 | 64 people
2001-3000 | 23 people
3001-4000 | 14 people
4001-5000 | 3 people
5001-6000 | 2 people
7001-8000 | 1 person
8001-9000 | 5 people
9001-10000 | 3 people
11000+ | 1 person

This is a fascinating History of ES.

Been reading up on AW's fire, Safe expulsion, etc... There is so much content here, it's hard to know what I should read next.

Also, I see that we are now at 19K members, and I am page 13 of 381 for most posts - surprising, since I have only been a member for a couple months...

I'd like to learn more about exactly how Justin Saved the forum. Which topics should I be reading?

Back