(iZip Zuma) vs (Pedego Cruiser) vs (Prodeco Phantom X)

Racer_X said:
I really wish I could "unlimit" the 20amps and 20mph to say 25amps and 25mph, it would really be a nicer ride. But unless I go get a different controller, and go 48V at around what I paid for the whole bike...I'm going to deal with it for now....still want to go 48v and replace that long pack on the back. I think it looks funny, and i'd like to get one of the Topeak racks:
I have been riding my DD hub motor on 48v and I have been getting 1200w. If I where you I would get a booster battery pack (maybe a 5s 10ah for an extra 20v.) That will bring you to 60v hot off the charger which is the standard for 48v. I would also switch the controller to a 9 FET 36-72v 30amp after you get bored of 48v. After 3 years I have now been personally thinking of getting the 9 FET controller for my solution, there about $89. That would increase my torque and top speed to around 33mph+ and be pretty safe for the engine or controller. The plus about the controller you get 1. Regen, 2. three speed 3. cruise control. offcourse those addons are extra.

I appreciate that your updating us about the Phantom X, I think it is a great base bike and you get alot for those $1100.00.

I was looking at this controller....which would hook into my CA so I can set max amps, speed, etc, and I could still go to 48v down the road...opinions?
Only problem I have is right now the controller in the PX has a very clean installation inside a plastic box, that the battery slides into and I think the dimensions of this controller would be too big to fit inside. So I might have to change to the rack and bag mentioned above and go 48v all at once...so could get expensive fast....
http://www.ebikes.ca/store/store_controllers.php

C3635-NC.jpg

I noticed that the izip has realeased a new model.

This is a nice looking ebike :)

It is a little pricey at $2500.

After reading tuxman's review and seeing this bike..wow...seems like finally some good options are coming to the market for someone who wants a ready to ride ebike.

I wonder if this has to do with currie recently being bought out by high end European ebike producer.

Attachments

• currie_technologies_izip_2011_e3_metro__1297455119.jpg
    currie_technologies_izip_2011_e3_metro__1297455119.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 3,632
The izip enlightened bikes have been out for a while maybe a year or more. They do look great. I saw one of these on ebay for $400 brand new but not working. Currie has come a long way since the original USPD bikes with the little two stage chain reduction on the rear hub.

Art Vandelay said:
I was looking at this controller....which would hook into my CA so I can set max amps, speed, etc, and I could still go to 48v down the road...opinions?

IMHO pedaling is part of the fun. When I replace my broken motor with a smaller one I thought it was going to suck on hills. Turns out, it was much more fun. It was just the right balance of power to weight.

If the upgrade bug has you, figure out how much you want to spend per mile. If you spend $2,000 and put 2k miles on the bike, that's a buck per mile. And don't get that controller. Get one that is rated at least to 100v and 50a. That will give you flexibility when building your own battery pack which you will soon want to do along with a new motor which is right around the corner. New headlights. New tires. New brakes. New crank. New shifters. New forks. New frame. Then you ask why did I buy a pre-built bike in the first place? :wink:

If money was not an issue I would have a custom bike from Hi-Power Cycles. Realistically, it came down to want vs need and what I could afford. The Phantom X really is a great value.

How many miles will you ride this year?

Izip Zuma is a beautiful classy bike. Here are the specs I found.

Specifications

• Battery type: Lithium Ion battery
• Battery rating: 36 volts/ 12 AH
• Product weight: 57 pounds
• Max rider weight: 240 pounds
• Power : 500 watts
• Rated range: 20 to 30 miles
• Color: Red
• Frame type: low step cantilever
• Top speed: 20 mph/32 km/h

This site http://www.motorizedbicyclesportal.com says the average retail price of this bike is almost $1900. Is there a cheaper alternative?

Thanks for your help.

I have both Phantom and Pedego http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImvUjnCLwJk&list=UU3bAmtXHiTVTR40Y8MIXhYw&index=1&feature=plcp

Hi, new guy here. I bought a 2012 iZip Zuma (men's frame) two months ago. My first e-bike, and my first cruiser since my much loved first bike - a 1962 Western Flyer when I got was about 8 years old! :D

I am loving this bike, it is a complete blast to ride! I have completed several 30-mile bike trips using PAS mode with about half the battery charge remaining at the end. And that includes some steep grades. I'll have to push further to find the limit!

I've fitted panniers that are sized to fit grocery bags and do most of my grocery shopping and other errands by bike. I'm a 215 lb. guy and routinely haul home 30-40 lbs. of groceries 2miles, uphill most of the way. The Zuma handles the chore with ease.

The other thing that is remarkable about the Zuma is the confidence it inspires when mixing it up in traffic. Particularly at controlled intersections, the power and acceleration combined with the grippy, fat Kenda Koniption tires really makes riding the urban setting much less a chore. The only caveat is that most car drivers are not used to bikes moving so quickly. I get a lot of cars passing with the intent of making a right turn and you have to watch for them even more so than on a regular bike.

I appreciate all the postings here about the previous models of the Zuma. I am happy to report I have not experienced any handling or vibration issues whatsoever with my 2012. It doesn't have a suspension fork or seat shock absorber, but the tires soak up a lot even when inflated to 65 psi. The brakes are powerful and yeah sometimes they grind and groan. I've had disk brakes on mountain bikes and it's always the same issue. I've gotten used to it.

By the way there is an iZip dealer here in Seattle (as well as other brands, but not Prodego or Pedego), and they are generous with test rides. It was great to be able to ride several different bikes and choose the one I liked the best.

If I can answer any questions about the bike, feel free to ask!

Drewskers,

I noticed that you wrote that you bought the iZip Zuma WITHOUT the suspension forks. I also live in Seattle. Where did you get the bike? Is it the "NEW" iZip Zuma E3? That bike looks different. Solid colors, not the "old Schwinn" look of the bikes being discussed here. The new one also has a four bolt "through the tube" fork stem. Is the is the bike you bought? Pictures? And again, where did you pick it up?

Thanks,

Drewskers said:
Hi, new guy here. I bought a 2012 iZip Zuma (men's frame) two months ago. My first e-bike, and my first cruiser since my much loved first bike - a 1962 Western Flyer when I got was about 8 years old! :D

I am loving this bike, it is a complete blast to ride! I have completed several 30-mile bike trips using PAS mode with about half the battery charge remaining at the end. And that includes some steep grades. I'll have to push further to find the limit!

I've fitted panniers that are sized to fit grocery bags and do most of my grocery shopping and other errands by bike. I'm a 215 lb. guy and routinely haul home 30-40 lbs. of groceries 2miles, uphill most of the way. The Zuma handles the chore with ease.

The other thing that is remarkable about the Zuma is the confidence it inspires when mixing it up in traffic. Particularly at controlled intersections, the power and acceleration combined with the grippy, fat Kenda Koniption tires really makes riding the urban setting much less a chore. The only caveat is that most car drivers are not used to bikes moving so quickly. I get a lot of cars passing with the intent of making a right turn and you have to watch for them even more so than on a regular bike.

I appreciate all the postings here about the previous models of the Zuma. I am happy to report I have not experienced any handling or vibration issues whatsoever with my 2012. It doesn't have a suspension fork or seat shock absorber, but the tires soak up a lot even when inflated to 65 psi. The brakes are powerful and yeah sometimes they grind and groan. I've had disk brakes on mountain bikes and it's always the same issue. I've gotten used to it.

Drewskers,

I noticed that you wrote that you bought the iZip Zuma WITHOUT the suspension forks. I also live in Seattle. Where did you get the bike? Is it the "NEW" iZip Zuma E3? That bike looks different. Solid colors, not the "old Schwinn" look of the bikes being discussed here. The new one also has a four bolt "through the tube" fork stem. Is the is the bike you bought? Pictures? And again, where did you pick it up?

Thanks,

By the way there is an iZip dealer here in Seattle (as well as other brands, but not Prodego or Pedego), and they are generous with test rides. It was great to be able to ride several different bikes and choose the one I liked the best.

If I can answer any questions about the bike, feel free to ask!

Antonio said:
Drewskers,

Thanks,
Hi Antonio,

I bough the bike at Electric Bikes NW in Ballard:

http://www.electricvehiclesnw.com/

Here's a pic of the bike (from their website):

e3zuma-slope.jpg

It's got the 4-bolt headset.

Drewskers

Antonio said:
Drewskers,

Thanks,

The new 2012 IZIP E3 Zuma's have no suspension. But it's an easy add-on if you're looking for a softer ride. We just added a front suspension to a Zuma in our retail store. For some reason I can't resize the image below, but you can get more details about adding suspension to the Zuma here.

izip-zuma-front-suspension-2.jpg

Jason27 said:
In my opinion all of these ebikes are rip offs. Look at the specs. You could build one with better specs for less price. You guys should really build your own ebike that way if something breaks you know how to fix it. Would you buy a car with no place to take it for repairs?
ask anyone here that have been ebiking for years they will tell you all ebikes break down at some point. I hope those ebikes come with a warranty or return policy.

Actually, I can figure out how to fix things I didn't build. A surprising number of people can do that. Currie is easy to get on the phone for tech support and parts. Besides, the dealer where I bought the bike is all of 3 miles away. They fixed a minor issue under warranty. I also have a bike shop in my immediate neighborhood that I have used for years, and they work on e-bikes. The iZip Zuma is not perfect but it works great for me. I've put on over 1000 miles in the 10 months I've had it. If you want to build your own, please be my guest. But I have other things I want to do - the Zuma is fun and reliable transportation that helps me get them done.

I rode the 2011 Izip Zuma and fairly surprised at the power. It's got a good sized geared hub motor and feels like around 1000w peak output. The 36v 12ah battery is a good spec too.

Downsides? The handling with all that weight so far behind the seat makes it feel wobbly if you do quick maneuvers. But it's fine for cruising. Will be testing the range soon, though it is a used bike.

The battery mounting is more secure and makes no rattling like the Pedego comfort cruiser type. I do worry about the rack supports breaking though. I see they beefed up the design for the newer model.

The Zuma is definitely tail-heavy. My 2012 Zuma was my first e-bike and though I am pretty happy with it, I will look for something better balanced when I move on. But the tail-heaviness is more of an inconvenience than anything (lugging the thing up steps is next to impossible). But when riding I do not notice any tendency to wobble. Currie went to a rigid front fork in 2012 and I wonder if handling issues were not the reason why.

BTW I routinely load up 2 grocery bag panniers with 30-40 lbs of groceries which make the rear weight bias even more ridiculous. Still no handling problems, and the integrated rack is holding up.

BTW I routinely load up 2 grocery bag panniers with 30-40 lbs of groceries which make the rear weight bias even more ridiculous. Still no handling problems, and the integrated rack is holding up.

I just bough a Zuma today. Love it. Can you tell me what Panniers you bought that work on the zuma rack?

BrianK said:
I just bough a Zuma today. Love it. Can you tell me what Panniers you bought that work on the zuma rack?

I have two of the Giant "Grocery Getter Basket Pannier":

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/gear/product/grocery.getter.basket.pannier/513/38576/#features

I guess I got a deal, the bike shop only charged me $75 for the pair.

The upper hooks are big enough to fit the top rail of the Zuma's rack. There are unused mounting holes near the rear drop-out (if that's what you call it on an e-bike) and I put in a couple of 1" machine screws with some blue thread lock to have a place to hook the inside elastic cord.

Enjoy your Zuma! :)

BrianK wrote:

I have two of the Giant "Grocery Getter Basket Pannier":

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/gea ... /#features

I guess I got a deal, the bike shop only charged me $75 for the pair.

The upper hooks are big enough to fit the top rail of the Zuma's rack. There are unused mounting holes near the rear drop-out (if that's what you call it on an e-bike) and I put in a couple of 1" machine screws with some blue thread lock to have a place to hook the inside elastic cord.

Enjoy your Zuma!

Thanks for the info. So far I'm really enjoying the zuma. My first bike since the 80's which was a Schwinn Cruiser. The Zuma gets me up these steep hill of the NW :D

I found out the hard way how far the battery lasts :shock: I rode abot 20+ miles today. I rode from my house in north Tacoma to the south ferry to Vashon Island. According to my gps sx the ascent from the boat to the center of town is 1269 ft. I used the power the whole way and that trip (one way) depleted the battery. The middle of the island goes back down to the water level before slowly rising 1000 + ft on a long slow ascent. With a 60 pound beach cruiser with no juice left. Not fun. I'm gonna have to start bringing the charger with me if I make that trip again :lol:

I am leaning toward getting the step through IZIP Zuma.

I haven't tried a cruiser bike yet , but the cruiser style handlebars seem too large and unwieldy for some narrow urban streets, not to mention other tight areas I'll have to get the bike into . Can the handlebars be replaced with a other handlebar style that keeps your hands less exposed and more protected (or does the length between the seat and headtube require sweeping bars?

stevew99 said:

I haven't tried a cruiser bike yet , but the cruiser style handlebars seem too large and unwieldy for some narrow urban streets, not to mention other tight areas I'll have to get the bike into . Can the handlebars be replaced with a other handlebar style that keeps your hands less exposed and more protected (or does the length between the seat and headtube require sweeping bars?

Measurements from my Zuma:
* center of the fork stem to center of the seat tube: 22 1/2"
* the handlebar stem places the bars 2" in front of the fork stem
* the handlebars are 24 1/2" wide

Measurements from my Specialized hardtail MTB:
* the handlebar stem places the bars 4" in front of the fork stem
* the handlebars are 23 1/2" wide

Hope this helps.

BrianK said:

I found out the hard way how far the battery lasts :shock: I rode abot 20+ miles today. I rode from my house in north Tacoma to the south ferry to Vashon Island. According to my gps sx the ascent from the boat to the center of town is 1269 ft. I used the power the whole way and that trip (one way) depleted the battery. The middle of the island goes back down to the water level before slowly rising 1000 + ft on a long slow ascent. With a 60 pound beach cruiser with no juice left. Not fun. I'm gonna have to start bringing the charger with me if I make that trip again :lol:

Doesn't sound quite right to me. Are you getting any better results now? I have a regular 24 mile ride with about 1200 feet total elevation gain and I always get back home with the battery half full. I use PAS and keep my hand off the throttle except taking off at intersections. Now with 1400 miles on my Zuma!

Drewskers said:
stevew99 said:

Measurements from my Zuma:
* the handlebar stem places the bars 2" in front of the fork stem
* the handlebars are 24 1/2" wide

Measurements from my Specialized hardtail MTB:
* the handlebar stem places the bars 4" in front of the fork stem
* the handlebars are 23 1/2" wide

Hope this helps.

Thanks. That was helpful.

Brentis and ArtVandeley!
do the search for
Eplus on Endless Sphere
I have modified Eplus to power on Lithium battery.
Eplus designed in USA is a computerized drive / also controller build into motor/ and is like day and night comparing with Pedego, Prodeco.
Take for example battery SOC meter - those 3LED thing is a useless gadget used on typical China -enginered ebikes.
Eplus use real very accurate SOC meter.
Level of engineering is just not comparable.
Riding with super modulated linear throttle and real 9 power levels in complete silence is just not comparable.
I also have been looking for 1000W EPLUS with dead battery for some times.
here is the story:
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/714452-My-E-review

Back