Pikes Peak, Cromotor or 5404/5403?

cbr shadow

1 kW
I'm finishing my etrke build now which has an HS3540 and 24s3p of lipo. I'm toying with the idea of another build for next year's pike peak race just for a fun project to work towards. Anyways, which would be the best hill climbing hub motor? I'm definitely sticking to a hub motor not mid drive, stoke monkey, etc etc.. Cromotor or 5404/5403? Propbably going for a 20" wheel. This is more of a fantasy build at the moment since I'm not starting on this project for a while.

50mm magnet motor ( hubzilla ) or 40mm/30mm magnet motor ( crystalyte )...
Hard choice, huh.. ;)

And of course you want a 20 inch wheel in any situation. The smaller the wheel, the better.

For heat dissipation, I'd go for the bigger and heavier X54
In a 20" wheel I'd prefer the 5403, but I believe the 5404 in a 34" wheel would do it as well

I would choose the Cro, hands down. More motor in less box, but yeah, smallest wheel possible, a 14" moto wheel with JohninCR's asymmetrical cooling holes would work the best. Use voltage to get the speed back. if 100v isn't fast enough, grab a high fet count 4115 controller, mod it out and run it at 30s. Check out zombiess work.

Farfle said:
I would choose the Cro, hands down. More motor in less box, but yeah, smallest wheel possible, a 14" moto wheel with JohninCR's asymmetrical cooling holes would work the best. Use voltage to get the speed back. if 100v isn't fast enough, grab a high fet count 4115 controller, mod it out and run it at 30s. Check out zombiess work.

^--- yep
30S on my magic pie in a 20" wheel ROCKED. And that's less than half the motor that the cromotor is... :)

A cromotor in a 14" wheel on super high voltage ( 30S-32S or maybe even higher ) would have you at the top of pike's peak next year, in awe of the beauty of the rockies around you.. wondering if there are any steeper climbs out there on this planet because what you just scaled seemed too easy :)

Neither if it's a DIY trike and not limited to small weak 10mm flats...that is if you're after real performance. Those motors sure when you're subject to the limitations of stock bikes, but if you're not subject to bike limitations, why be subject to the compromises necessary to fit a bike if you want a small wheel anyway?

John in CR said:
Neither if it's a DIY trike and not limited to small weak 10mm flats...that is if you're after real performance. Those motors sure when you're subject to the limitations of stock bikes, but if you're not subject to bike limitations, why be subject to the compromises necessary to fit a bike if you want a small wheel anyway?

agreed, the scooter hubbies are in a different class. the cromotor is on the wee small end of that class, the motors johnincr messes with are the mid/high end of that class.

Farfle said:
John in CR said:

agreed, the scooter hubbies are in a different class. the cromotor is on the wee small end of that class, the motors johnincr messes with are the mid/high end of that class.

Of course a tadpole that wheelies might be a problem. :twisted:

Back